D5100 or D90 to start with

I vote D90 body (forget the kit lens) and the 35mm 1.8G. A nice inexpensive set up that will take you far. You can find lots of D90's used or keep an eye on Amazon - I got mine brand new for $799. The price fluxuates all the time between $799 and $899.

I have the d5100 and would say at this point don't buy either, get the d7000. It has the best of both of them. It has so much more room to grow. The in cameras focusing motor makes it compatible with a lot more lenses (D90 has this but the d5100 doesn't). It has better auto focus than either the d5100 or the d90. It uses dual memory cards. It is weather sealed. It will fast flash sync, (d90 will, d5100 won't) It may be considered "entry level" but it has a host of professional features that make it one of the best cameras for the money built today.

Last edited:
I have the D5100 and it is a great camera but I am a new dslr owner too A newbie

Maybe i should wait another month or 2 and get the D7000 then. Im sure i can just read some books and tutorials till then lol. Would the D700 be a bit overwhelming for a first dslr ?

2 months later you'll look for another newer model. It's never ending.

I haven't tried the d700 myself but it's not really a beginner camera. The d90 can probably get you far. If you want to spend a lot of money the d7000 isn't bad either.

tangerine said:
2 months later you'll look for another newer model. It's never ending.

Doubt it lol. Most people think gear is the guilty culprit for crummy pics when, in all actuality, it's there skill set.

Thanks for the advice every one, i finally got a D5100 for a very good price new so that really decided it for me. I hope this camera will last me long enough to find my feet in photography before i need an upgrade (not want one lol)

Hopefully i can get some photography done soon and get active on the forum

Most reactions

New Topics

Back