D600 or 800?????

Reyna

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I'm more than ready to upgrade to a FX. I've been saving for the 800 for awhile and now that the 600 has come out, I'm seriously considering it. I honestly think 36.2 MP is a little too much? KWIM. At least for me. And with the 600 being $900 cheaper & the grip being $200 cheaper, that sure saves me a ton of money for glass! The only problem I'm having is, will I regret it buying the 600 over the 800 in the future?? When I purchased my 7000, about 18 months ago, I was debating between the 700 & 7000 and went with the 7000 b/c of the price, now I regret it. I don't want to regret getting the 600 but it's SUCH a great camera at a much smaller price. Plus, I don't want such big files clogging up my computer.

So, what do you guys think??

Thanks!
Holly

Or... you could invest all that money into better glass and that will pay off in the future. Your body will be outdated within a few years.

Well, here is the problem... I dream of the 85 1.4G since I shoot people. Affordable with my budget, but putting 85mm on my dx is too much distance especially shooting kiddos. Too much. So, my plan is to get the 85mm with my tax return and that lens being on a FX camera will be so.much.better.

Well, here is the problem... I dream of the 85 1.4G since I shoot people. Affordable with my budget, but putting 85mm on my dx is too much distance especially shooting kiddos. Too much. So, my plan is to get the 85mm with my tax return and that lens being on a FX camera will be so.much.better.

Ahh, makes sense. It would be better to go full fram with the 85 so you get the full field of view. I still would prefer the D800. Haven't got my hands on the D600 but when your spending that much money, what is another 900? I'd rather spend an extra 900 now, instead of wanting to upgrade within a few months. (Which has happened)

Honestly? I'm pretty happy with 24MP on FX Nikon. It shoots people GREAT! A LOT of acutance, plenty of resolution, and a very good, wide dynamic range. 24MP on FX is QUITE a bit of resolving power compared to an APS-C camera of 12 MP (the D7000 has around 16 MP). I dunno...I think the D800,honestly, is way overkill for shooting in ANY kind of volume. Wanna shoot a kid's soccer game? There is NO "small RAW" setting in the D800, except to go to the APS-C or 8x10 crops. The D800 in high speed crop is like 15.8 MP....soooo...that puts you right back with basically D7000 type file sizes. 24 MP is plenty for a whole host of uses. As to the 85mm lenses...I would say, SKIP the 1.4 AFS-G and buy the newer 85mm f/1.8 G-series lens and save a ton of money and still end up with an excellent lens and then buy ANOTHER excellent lens with the savings!!! You could drop 3k on a D800...OR get a D600, a grip, and two fine lenses. WHICH setup sounds better, when looked at that way???

I love my D800 but use it for landscapes. So although I may still shoot several hundred photos over a weekend, I usually only edit 1-10. I did fill up my 2 TB hard drive REALLY fast though!
Of course now I can print 5+ ft wide and that is worth it to me. So really depends what you use it for.

Honestly? I'm pretty happy with 24MP on FX Nikon. It shoots people GREAT! A LOT of acutance, plenty of resolution, and a very good, wide dynamic range. 24MP on FX is QUITE a bit of resolving power compared to an APS-C camera of 12 MP (the D7000 has around 16 MP). I dunno...I think the D800,honestly, is way overkill for shooting in ANY kind of volume. Wanna shoot a kid's soccer game? There is NO "small RAW" setting in the D800, except to go to the APS-C or 8x10 crops. The D800 in high speed crop is like 15.8 MP....soooo...that puts you right back with basically D7000 type file sizes. 24 MP is plenty for a whole host of uses. As to the 85mm lenses...I would say, SKIP the 1.4 AFS-G and buy the newer 85mm f/1.8 G-series lens and save a ton of money and still end up with an excellent lens and then buy ANOTHER excellent lens with the savings!!! You could drop 3k on a D800...OR get a D600, a grip, and two fine lenses. WHICH setup sounds better, when looked at that way???

I.completely.agree. I want great pictures of MY kids and I take their pictures at least 3-4 times/week. Plus, the 800 is so freakin' bulky I don't want to lug that thing around to dedications/school functions/ etc. Then, I have other photo shoots but the 600 is a snappy camera! I mean, really! It can do the job and damn well! I just don't want to regret it! Although, I think I have my mind made up :)

Also, 412 Burgh, since you dream of the 800, you should read this. Ken Rockwell's Photography Updates

FYI...

Citing Ken Rockwell as a resource is dangerous to your credibility. :raisedbrow:

Thanks :) I'm not on here for drama or boredom so if someone wants to hate on me for my creditability I don't care. I work full time and have 3 babies & I would hope most people on here know more about this stuff than I do, that's why I come here to ask these questions.

I just don't want to regret it! Although, I think I have my mind made up :)

OP, the bright side here is that either one will be a fantastic choice for you. Moving up from DX, even a good one like the D7000, you're going to be amazed at the subtle differences in image quality regardless of what lens you're using. That said, unless you're wanting to do studio work or landscape, I seriously doubt you'll be able to appreciate the areas where the D800 is better at this point in your development. Nikon designed the D600 for people just like you...people itching to make the jump to FX but don't have any particular reason to.

At the end of the day, glass is almost always a better investment. There's a whole lot of great glass you can get for $900 if you play your cards right.

Good luck!

The D600 is a better Nikon than 95% of the Nikons that the majority of Nikon shooters on this forum happen to actually own....just sayin'...

Out of the "installed base" of Nikons in the field, the D600 is one of the finest cameras Nikon has ever offered for sale. And yet, sooooo many people try and put it down. I wonder why that might be?

I think you already answered your own question. :) In your case, I would get D600 then invest the extra money in good lenses. Camera body has a much shorter life cycle comparing to lenses. Good luck.

Thank you all SOOOO much! xyphoto, I think you're right but wanted to make sure b/c this forum has always helped me so much! Plus, this is a huge purchase and I don't want any regrets! You all rock :)

Most reactions

New Topics

Back