D600 or 800?????

The D600 might have been my ideal camera design if it just had a tiny bit more focal point coverage. As is, it's a dang near perfect design, given the price. If you honestly offered me the D600 and the D800, and told me I couldn't sell the D800 and buy a D600 with the money, that I had to use the camera I chose, I'd honestly be fairly torn.

Thanks :) I'm not on here for drama or boredom so if someone wants to hate on me for my creditability I don't care. I work full time and have 3 babies & I would hope most people on here know more about this stuff than I do, that's why I come here to ask these questions.

Maybe I should be more clear with my sarcasm. Ken has some good information on his site, but he is incredibly biased and VERY opinionated. The rest of the photography world has a love/hate relationship with the guy.

And yet, sooooo many people try and put it down. I wonder why that might be?

I can't speak for anyone else, but I put it down solely for its price. I think for what it is, it's a fantastic camera. I'm just so so so tired of these companies intentionally gimping one feature or another, just to force people to choose based on items other the specs.

I have the D800. It's ridiculous. I would have had the D600 had it come out first. Don't get me wrong, the D800 is an AMAZING camera, but it's really overkill for so much stuff. D600 is a great camera and gives you some money to save up to replace that 55-200 with something better suited for FF.

Another way to think of this... I loved my D300 and D100 like my children. I always have. I'd sleep with them under my pillow if I could. They sit here on my desk next to my monitor so I can see it all the time. The D800 is a very powerful tool that I leave in my bag and take out when I need to get something done. And then I put it right back. :lol:

Get a D600, the 28mm f/1.8 and the 85mm f/1.8. That's a rockstar wedding/event/landscape/people kit.

The D800 is the slow studio/landscape camera that it's designed to be.

How about a used D700? Or is that just a silly choice at this point. I like the idea of saving money for better glass and have eyed the D600 as the camera to bring me into full frame..

How about a used D700? Or is that just a silly choice at this point. I like the idea of saving money for better glass and have eyed the D600 as the camera to bring me into full frame..

Used 700's are selling for about $1900. The 600 has tons of features the 700 doesn't. The 700 has 12 mp and the 600 24.3. The D600 offers: Significantly better image quality,Lower noise at high ISO,Shoots 1080p video, significantly larger LCD screen,much higher true resolution, better color depth, offers in-camera HDR, has more dynamic range, has a100% viewfinder, not an approximating 95% finder, has TWO storage slots,not just one, is significantly lighter, shoots faster, & is smaller.

I don't think it would be smart for me to choose a 700.

Used 700's are selling for about $1900. The 600 has tons of features the 700 doesn't. The 700 has 12 mp and the 600 24.3. The D600 offers: Significantly better image quality,Lower noise at high ISO,Shoots 1080p video, significantly larger LCD screen,much higher true resolution, better color depth, offers in-camera HDR, has more dynamic range, has a100% viewfinder, not an approximating 95% finder, has TWO storage slots,not just one, is significantly lighter, shoots faster, & is smaller.

I don't think it would be smart for me to choose a 700.

I don't know where you're shopping, but I regularly see like new D700's with under 20k clicks going for $1550. I've seen a couple around the 50k mark approaching $1400.

I own the d800. The D600 looks incredible. And, for your needs, would surely conquer anything you throw at it. But, the only major gripe for me is that the AF coverage is incredibly limited. It covers the same area that the D7000 does, on the DX sensor. And that's not the whole DX sensor. Putting it in an FX sensor makes it even that much of a smaller space on the sensor. It's minuscule, at best. If you can work around that, the D600 may just be the camera for you.

Mark

I was shopping on craigslist here in Dallas. I found the 600 at Ryther Camera for $1999 no tax free shipping. Ordering tomorrow!!!

D600. Replace the 35mm with the Sigma 24 1.8 and lose the 55-200 for the Nikkor 70-200 2.8 VRII. Get the 85 1.8 as Derrel suggested (or the 105mm for those nifty macro wedding ring shots) and you're pretty much golden in the glass department (3 great prime focal lengths plus a heck of a zoom lens). Running the numbers on this set-up is more than the D800 & grip but you get an upgrade in body and glass. You're going to need good glass to get all the benefits of the D600.

Last edited:
I'd go for the D800 if I have the $$$, and if I make actual money with my photography, if not, Id go the D600 :p

Most reactions

Back