What's new

D7000 Cleaning?

tevo

Recovering TPF Junkie
Joined
Nov 19, 2010
Messages
2,507
Reaction score
440
Location
San Jose, CA
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I want to get my Nikon D7000's sensor cleaned.. and I think there is a scuff on it or something - it comes out during long exposures... Also there is dust inside the viewfinder. How should I go about sending it to Nikon? Or should I bring it to a camera shop?
 
I sent mine to Nikon for the same complaints and originally they had it slated for "cleaning" then found it required hard parts to be replaced. Warranty handled the whole thing. You can ask them free for expert advice at 800-645-6687 on what they suggest for yours.

Due to my D7000 I got to be big friends with them at that number.
 
Oh they are open 8-2 PM eastern 7 days a week if I recall correctly
 
I sent mine to Nikon for the same complaints and originally they had it slated for "cleaning" then found it required hard parts to be replaced. Warranty handled the whole thing. You can ask them free for expert advice at 800-645-6687 on what they suggest for yours.

Due to my D7000 I got to be big friends with them at that number.

How long did this take them? I dont want to be without a camera for 10 weeks like some other poor fellow on this site :c
 
I sent mine to Nikon for the same complaints and originally they had it slated for "cleaning" then found it required hard parts to be replaced. Warranty handled the whole thing. You can ask them free for expert advice at 800-645-6687 on what they suggest for yours.

Due to my D7000 I got to be big friends with them at that number.

How long did this take them? I dont want to be without a camera for 10 weeks like some other poor fellow on this site :c

That was ME I think, well they had mine forever. But it was waiting for parts, yours may not be the same problem needing parts. The experts are at that # if you would liike to consult them, the call is free my friend :)
 
I sent mine to Nikon for the same complaints and originally they had it slated for "cleaning" then found it required hard parts to be replaced. Warranty handled the whole thing. You can ask them free for expert advice at 800-645-6687 on what they suggest for yours.

Due to my D7000 I got to be big friends with them at that number.

How long did this take them? I dont want to be without a camera for 10 weeks like some other poor fellow on this site :c

That was ME I think, well they had mine forever. But it was waiting for parts, yours may not be the same problem needing parts. The experts are at that # if you would liike to consult them, the call is free my friend :)

How long until you actually got it back ?! I cant be away from my baby for that long Dx
 
I looked up my old thread. It took them from 8/1 to 9/16 to repair my D7000.

But again, call them. Yours may not need parts.
 
I dug up one of my old pics I noticed what appears to be dust "spots" on when i was trying to figure out which images to discard as crap. Note the left side of the pic, this is why I called them. The sensor spots were located in the same place in all the landscape pics i shot throughout a range of F-stops. Hope this helps.

20110720-DSC_2084.jpg
 
CLEAN IT YOURSELF!!!

Reposting my standard, "Sensor cleaning, it's easier than you think!"
Sensor-cleaning. It's easy to do and should be considered routine maintenance. Spending $50 - 75 for something that takes, literally five minutes, is foolish IMO. Do it yourself, save time and money, just be careful!

DON'T be scared of cleaning your camera! All you need are the right tools. I'll repost this just for info:

Contrary to popular belief, cleaning your own sensor is easy, and difficult to screw up. You should have a few tools though. My preference is for the Visible Dust line of products, in particular the Arctic Butterfly; it's a little pricey, but worth it.

Get a Giottos rocket, DO NOT use one of those cheap blower bulbs with a built in brush. They're dust/lint traps. Remove the lens, and holding hte camera at a 45 angle with the lens opening pointing down, thoroughly blow out the mirror chamber. Now, lock up the mirror and clean off the sensor. Once you've blown off the "big chunks" use the Arctic Butterfly to clean off the small stuff following the instructions provided.

If that doesn't work, then you'll need to go to a wet cleaning system, which is a still easy to do. In ten years of digital photography, I've never had to use a wet cleaning system on any sensor.

Remember that you're not actually cleaning the sensor, you're cleaning the low-pass filter in front of the sensor which is usually made of mineral glass or other very tough material. It's actually quite difficult to scratch or damage. It is easy to get streaky if you **** up with a wet-cleaning system, but that's not permanent.​
 
CLEAN IT YOURSELF!!!

Reposting my standard, "Sensor cleaning, it's easier than you think!"
Sensor-cleaning. It's easy to do and should be considered routine maintenance. Spending $50 - 75 for something that takes, literally five minutes, is foolish IMO. Do it yourself, save time and money, just be careful!

DON'T be scared of cleaning your camera! All you need are the right tools. I'll repost this just for info:

Contrary to popular belief, cleaning your own sensor is easy, and difficult to screw up. You should have a few tools though. My preference is for the Visible Dust line of products, in particular the Arctic Butterfly; it's a little pricey, but worth it.

Get a Giottos rocket, DO NOT use one of those cheap blower bulbs with a built in brush. They're dust/lint traps. Remove the lens, and holding hte camera at a 45 angle with the lens opening pointing down, thoroughly blow out the mirror chamber. Now, lock up the mirror and clean off the sensor. Once you've blown off the "big chunks" use the Arctic Butterfly to clean off the small stuff following the instructions provided.

If that doesn't work, then you'll need to go to a wet cleaning system, which is a still easy to do. In ten years of digital photography, I've never had to use a wet cleaning system on any sensor.

Remember that you're not actually cleaning the sensor, you're cleaning the low-pass filter in front of the sensor which is usually made of mineral glass or other very tough material. It's actually quite difficult to scratch or damage. It is easy to get streaky if you **** up with a wet-cleaning system, but that's not permanent.​

There is a visible scratch, and I am also concerned about the dirt in the viewfinder. Thanks for the information though!
 
There is a visible scratch, and I am also concerned about the dirt in the viewfinder. Thanks for the information though!
Your OP indicates a possible "scuff or something"... If it's something that only shows up during long exposures it's not likely to be a scratch, and the high-pass filter in front of your sensor is made of mineral glass or something similar; very difficult to scratch, BUT if there is a problem, than you are better off to send it to Nikon.

Have you confirmed that the dust in the viewfinder is definitely not dust on the bottom side of the pentaprism (inside the mirror chamber)?
 

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Log in

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back
Top Bottom