D7000, D3100 are now official!

Thank's for the information! will do some reviewing later because I been waiting for the new SLR of nikon for comparison with D90.

I have to admit I found myself drooling over the specs of the D7000 on the way into work this morning, but they are only specs. I can't wait to see how this is going to perform in the real world.

Interesting to note that it seems that Nikon have almost created a fusion between the D90 and the D300s - albeit with a higher resolution sensor (I won't say better sensor at the moment, that remains to be seen). For instance the weather sealing, and magnesium construction of the D300s, but in the form factor of the D90. The higher framerate, the body controls to select drive and focus area all point towards the D7000 being pitched as a more professional setup than the D90, but still not as comprehensive as the D300s.

Being speculative for the moment, this kind of makes me wonder if Nikon intend this to be the flagship crop body model, with everything coming above this being full frame. As I said, just speculation.

While I'm tempted to reserve one immediately, I'm not going to for a number of reasons. First off I need to see samples and reviews as one of my main concerns is that the sensor resolution has been upped in conjunction with it having one more stop of true ISO. As a raw shooter I'm wondering if this has been achieved through improvements in the Expeed image processing rather than a true improvement in the sensor. Another reason is that I want to see what Nikon are going to do with the Pro/Semi-pro bodies. At the moment the D7000 appears to trump the D300s in several respects, and as a result will certainly eat into the sales of the D300s. Despite my speculation earlier, I don't really believe Nikon would leave their range without a competing crop body semi-pro. It also has to be said that the full frame bodies are perhaps beginning to look a little old at the moment.

And the final, most important reason that I won't be first in queue for this camera is that I'm already sure that, given my style, there's probably not a photo that I could take with the D7000 that I can't already take with my D90. I'm just suffering the symptoms of GAS.

CNET has the prices towards the bottom.

$1,199.95 for the body
$1,499.95 with the 18-105 kit lens.

Needless to say on my side of the pond prices are going to be in the range of 50% more expensive. Rip off Europe.

That's gonna be one hot camera! If the ISO quality is the same as my D700, what's the point of FX anymore!

That's gonna be one hot camera! If the ISO quality is the same as my D700, what's the point of FX anymore!

Don't confuse advances in technology as being a substitute for taking advantage of the laws of physics. If the ISO quality of this matches the D700, then the use of the FX will be a D800 that goes up to ISO 1024000 :D

Don't confuse advances in technology as being a substitute for taking advantage of the laws of physics. If the ISO quality of this matches the D700, then the use of the FX will be a D800 that goes up to ISO 1024000 :D

They already have that, it's the D3s. I'm just saying, if they're able to get their DX sensor ISO performance level up to a D700/D3, well that's just insane. I never need to shoot over 6400ISO.

Wow, that's a huge step up in build and features.

I thought a bunch of those specs were BS and aiming way too high, but it seems like we have a really nice addition here.

Sadly I bought a D90 in June (and the kicker is I dont actually have it now for another 3 weeks :( )

Nobody noticed the new sb700 speedlight?

Specification wise, it seems the D7000 is better than the 60D from Canon. If I am starting from ground zero again and want to pick a nice DX camera, I will take a serious look at the D7000. Magnesium body with 39 AF points .... I like that!

woa! deffinetly a really nice camera,

the sb700 will also be a nice unit, can be used as a commander and is slighly more powerfull than the sb-600...

the price is also really nice compared to the 500$ sb-900

I want a body that has:

1. External controls
2. Higher MP than my D5000 (better cropping)
3. Higher/cleaner ISO
4. A sensor with a broader dynamic range

So far the D7000 looks nice. I would like even higher ISO capabilities though

Wow, the D7000 does live up to the rumors in terms of specs. In fact, it's even better -- AF fine tune, metering for AI lenses, manual control for video etc. weren't even in the rumors. Hope it performs as well as the specs imply in real life.

Here's dpreview's hands on preview: link

Despite the improvements, the D7000 clearly slots below the D300s -- fewer AF points, slower frame rate etc. Interestingly, dpreview says the D7000 is meant as an upgrade from the D90 and the D90 will continue to be available. I wonder for how long though...

Most reactions

Back