D7000 vs D7100

MitchStrp

No longer a newbie, moving up!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Really want to pick one of these up but the money is the only issue (isnt it always) I have a buddy of mine who would sell me his for 700 bucks (d7000) or should I save up and just get a new d7100? the only difference I really see is the pixels. are the pixels really going to make that big of a difference between the two bodies? D7100- 24.1 MP and D7000 - 16.2 MP

Too me just don't see the extra premium cash for the D7100 as the D7000 priced new or used is about the best bang for the buck going right now. There will always be a newer Bod around the corner. For me it's getting the best bang/performer which I can use learn and grow into. And cover my needs next 2-3 years while I add and build my complete kit.

And apply the savings for better glass,flash & tripod. But hey that's just me.

Thanks man! Kind of what I was thinking!!

I disagree. By what standards do you judge the bang for buck on bodies. The 7100 is a awesome body for the money and worth every bit of 1200. If you want a cheap or older tech body just buy a 3200. Yes there is a premium now, But it will be worth more when you sell.

I have a 3200 now lol. its out film camera for skateboarding :p would just like a higher end DX camera and like the idea of dual sd slots... everything is pretty close to the same on both cameras except the megapixels.

Meh go with the cheaper option. Megapixels are kind of a moot point after a certain amount, then it just becomes a big dick contest between canon and nikon.

Save yourself the extra money and buy a decent lens or flash.

well **** if its a big dick contest... i really need to spend some money on this body. :/

If your buddy's D7000 is in nice condition with a low shutter count, it's worth the $700. If it's well-used or beat up a bit, spend $50 more and get a refurbished one from Adorama or someplace. That's where I got mine and it had < 200 actuations on the shutter and looked totally new. Plus, it came with a 90-day warranty, brand new battery, and all accessories.

Meh go with the cheaper option. Megapixels are kind of a moot point after a certain amount, then it just becomes a big dick contest between canon and nikon.

Save yourself the extra money and buy a decent lens or flash.

As a general statement I disagree. It depends on what you shoot and how you shoot it. If one normally finds themselves significantly cropping their images to get to the subject then having additional resolution in the cropped area is certainly an advantage. For example, if you crop a 24mp image to 50% you still have 12mp in the cropped area whereas if you crop a 16mp image to 50% you only have 8mp or 2/3 the resolution. That can be significant.

For example, if you crop a 24mp image to 50% you still have 12mp in the cropped area whereas if you crop a 16mp image to 50% you only have 8mp or 2/3 the resolution. That can be significant.

True, but how many people actually print the pictures they take as opposed to just putting them in an online gallery or their Facebook page at 900x600 pixels? I agree with your point (the math doesn't lie), but each person uses their camera in a different way.

I shoot alot of fish eye and a little wide angle.. very little cropping on my part. I usually try and frame the photo how Id like it to come out and never use the ones that were framed how Id like. Im super picky plus my dad has really instilled that in me. Im going with the D7000 and going to invest in a Nikkor 70-200 f2.8 after this purchase.

I've heard a lot of talk about how much better the D7100 is in terms of HIGH-ISO performance...and have seen some images too...it is a VERY good imager. I looked thru the Ken Rockwell D600 Full-frame vs D7000 vs D7100, three-camera comparison pictures. At VERY large magnifications, the D7000 is shown to be lower-resolution than either the D600 or D7100, both of which appear almost identical. I think a $700 D7000 used from a buddy sounds like a good deal...I dunno...I think that's a decent price, but I am not all that up on used prices on D7000's; I do know that D7100's are about $1199 body-only, so that's a $500 savings, but probably no warranty. Still...seems like a good deal for seven bills.

IMHO $700 is a bit high for a used D7000.. A Nikon Refurbished is $744 from Adorama & B&H. In my area a D7000 with ~10k clicks is going for $600ish.

I always use the refurbished market to judge the price of used gear...

Refurb D5100 (same sensor as D7000 w/less controlls) = $389! (Amazing deal)
Refurb D3200 w/18-55 (24mp sensor) = $479

So... if your goal is to get a good camera cheap the D5100 is a great option.. If you want a more advanced body the D7000 is the way to go... but make sure you get a good price for it.

If you have the cash for a D7100 then take long 'think' about a Refurbished D600 for $1599. (unless you want the mythical D400... then you should buy the D7100 :) )

Just my .002c.

Obviously the newer technology is going to out perform. But people have been making stunning images with the D7000 for years without exceeding the cameras limitations. What I would way into with the extra cash for the 7100 would be these:

1) Do you have the cash? If you can afford it, it will be nicer, there's no question about that. If it's a stretch for the cash... Might as well put that toward glass.

2) Do you really need that many more megapixels? How often do you print billboards and very large posters?

3) Do you need the high ISO? You mentioned skateboarding stuff, typically you're shooting outside in daylight, meaning you're not often gonna stretch your ISO, but if you guys skate at night a lot without a ton of lighting, You might need the extra performance.

edit:

One last thing - in my opinion, it is well worth the extra $$ for the 7000 or 7100 over the D5100. The 5100 is little, lots of menu diving, and after owning a 7000 and having "whenever I want it" acess to the 51, it just feels like a toy in comparison. There are plenty of people who can produce better images with a 5100 than I'll ever make with my 7k, but so what. I love having the bigger camera, the more solid feeling body, and my fingers actually fitting around the grip.

Obviously the newer technology is going to out perform. But people have been making stunning images with the D7000 for years without exceeding the cameras limitations.

Come join me one Saturday morning at one of the high school Rugby games around the Salt Lake valley... I'll show you the difference between the D7000 and the D7100 :)

Most reactions

New Topics

Back