D7100, not recording to SD card/lost images

Dinardy

No longer a newbie, moving up!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
So I had a pretty rough time with my D7100 this last weekend. I was second shooting at a wedding, walking away with about 1,500 digital images and 7 rolls of film. At a few KEY moments throughout the night I had realized that images were not being recorded as they were being shot! I had plenty of space left on my two SanDisk Pro Extreme 32GB. The only way to alleviate this was to pull my grip and and pull the battery out of the body. Has anyone experienced this with their Nikon bodies? I lost a good 300 images throughout the night. Some of which were very important! It happened about three times within a 12hr day of shooting. Also to top it all off, my D7100 coupled with the 70-200 f/2.8 VRII would refuse to autofocus intermittently. Which... Was... Also irritating.

I'm a little flustered with all this, almost to the point of switching over to CANON for digital work.

Any ideas?

Are both the grip and batteries genuine nikon or is either aftermarket?

Also have you seen the same issue with other memory cards or just that one?

Ditch the grip.

I used 5 different cards that night, all SanDisk. Happened on all cards.

My grip is genuine Nikon. I did use 1 Wasabi or Sashimi battery idk. That may have been it...

I know that some nikon firmware updates have been known to cause issues with aftermarket batteries when used in a grip.

If possible try testing without the grip, and then with the grip and a genuine nikon battery and see if the problem persists.

Thanks for that, I had no idea. I'll give it a shot, I may be shooting another wedding this weekend and would love to get it sorted before then. Not shooting with the grip is not a big deal for me, just hoped it had not been a more serious issue.

Thanks for that, I had no idea. I'll give it a shot, I may be shooting another wedding this weekend and would love to get it sorted before then. Not shooting with the grip is not a big deal for me, just hoped it had not been a more serious issue.

My guess is the aftermarkets will probably work fine in the body, if you used more than one card I seriously doubt it's a card issue since the likelyhood of more than one card having exactly the same problem is very unlikely indeed.

So my guess is genuine nikon batteries will most likely work fine in the grip, or the aftermarkets will most likely work fine without it - but that you'll see the issue when using the aftermarkets with the grip.

Also to top it all off, my D7100 coupled with the 70-200 f/2.8 VRII would refuse to autofocus intermittently. Which... Was... Also irritating.

I'm a little flustered with all this, almost to the point of switching over to CANON for digital work.

Any ideas?

I'm not sure what could be causing it but I never had issues focusing when using my 70-200mm VR II with my D7100. They always seemed to work great together.

Well I only have one aftermarket, so I'll throw it in a drawer. Not worth the confusion and waste of shots. I just happened to grab the aftermarket before a genuine spare.

Also to top it all off, my D7100 coupled with the 70-200 f/2.8 VRII would refuse to autofocus intermittently. Which... Was... Also irritating.

Any ideas?

I'm not sure what could be causing it but I never had issues focusing when using my 70-200mm VR II with my D7100. They always seemed to work great together.

It was crazy. I loved the combo, but I would have to point the camera down and bring it back up to "wake it up" or shut off and turn back on. I was on AF-S.

PS, I don't own any grips or aftermarket batteries. I don't know if this could be the issues with the lens as well but who knows.

I'm going to assume it was the aftermarket battery and hope my body doesn't have an issue.

Any ideas?

It was crazy. I loved the combo, but I would have to point the camera down and bring it back up to "wake it up" or shut off and turn back on. I was on AF-S.

Thats wild! I never heard of such. I wonder if the voltage in the aftermarket battery pack(s) wasn't steady enough and would causes the camera to respond that ways?

I'm going to assume it was the aftermarket battery and hope my body doesn't have an issue.

That would be my guess. I have since upgraded to a D800 but during my time with the D7100, I never had a single issue and can't recall hearing about issues with it from anyone else.

That would be my guess. I have since upgraded to a D800 but during my time with the D7100, I never had a single issue and can't recall hearing about issues with it from anyone else.

I guess... I should just upgrade to a D800 to avoid this issue entirely. But thank you for enlightening me, I feel better about it.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back