D7100 upgrading from 18-55 II kit lens

Discussion in 'Nikon Lenses' started by Marinlik, Nov 15, 2015.

1. Marinlik

Marinlik TPF Noob!

Can others edit my Photos:
    Photos NOT OK to edit
    I've been thinking about getting a new lens(haven't we all?). I've thinking something around 18mm as that is where I take by far the most photos according a quick grouping of photos by focal length by Lightroom(and I have another lens for 55mm+). I've been looking at the Tokina 12-24mm as it looks to be pretty good for it's price when buying used

Have anyone gone from the kit lens to the Tokina 12-24? How is the difference in picture quality? Any other lenses I should look at?

2. jaomul

jaomul Been spending a lot of time on here!

Photos OK to edit
    I bought a tokina 12-24 about a year ago for my d7100. I was very disappointed, so much so that I sold it within a week. I found it soft everywhere except the centre at every aperture.

When I sold it I borrowed a friends one to try it out and it was the same. Now maybe it was something with my d7100, but I had issues with a tokina 50-135mm f2.8, my camera didn't seem to want to play with tokina lenses. I have seen great shots with this lens but this was my experience

3. SquarePeg

SquarePeg hear me roar Staff Member Supporting Member

Photos OK to edit
    I upgraded my 18-55 kit lens to a used Sigma 17-70 f/2.8-4. The slight increaee in range is useful and its super sharp. Also it's categorized as a macro lens due to the short minimum focus dustance. It's very versatile when I don't want to have to carry more than one lens.

• Agree Agree x 1
  4. ruifo

ruifo No longer a newbie, moving up!

Photos OK to edit
  5. Marinlik

Marinlik TPF Noob!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    Thanks!

Looking at that it seems like the Sigma 17-50 would basically do all of my current lens, but with significant improvement. Have anyone here used both and compared them?

6. astroNikon

astroNikon 'ya all Bananas I tell 'ya Supporting Member

Photos OK to edit
    If you are upgrading your lens from 18-55 you generally want to stay in the same focal length. Thus @SquarePeg has the best recommendation of the 17-70/2.8 lens from Sigma and Tokina, etc.

The 12-24 would be an additional lens as it wouldn't cover the 25-55 focal length. I think you would keep both of them.

I think the 35-55 focal length on a d7x00 camera is very useful so I wouldn't just remove it from your lens selection.

• Agree Agree x 2
  7. Marinlik

Marinlik TPF Noob!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    That is true. If I bought a 12-24 lens I would probably use it the most(as I mostly take pictures at around 18mm), but I would keep the kit lens for when i want to take pictures between 24-55.

I don't think that it's neccesary to buy a lens with 55+ because I already have another lens for that part. That's why I started to look at the 17-50 Sigma lens. That lens would of course completely replace the kit lens because it covers the same focal range. But I would only do that switch if there is a very noticeable difference in IQ

8. astroNikon

astroNikon 'ya all Bananas I tell 'ya Supporting Member

Photos OK to edit
    I can't recall but I think the 18-55 is a sharp lens
    Though the 55-200 kit lens is not sharp ( I had one and it visible wasn't sharp)
    Of course the Sigma is a "faster" (aperture) lens which has its advantages too.

9. Marinlik

Marinlik TPF Noob!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    I don't really know how much I will use the faster apertures. But I guess 2.8 would still give some decent DOF at a distance, atleast enough to the front of a building or whatever when walking around at night. A I mostly take pictures where I want a large DoF I don't know how much I would really use the faster numbers. But it's hard to say how much I would use it as it's something I can't do today

10. PropilotBW

PropilotBW Been spending a lot of time on here!

Photos OK to edit
    I upgraded my 18-55 with the Sigma 17-70 "Contemporary" lens. I loved it and I think you would too. I chose it over the 17-50 to have the extra 20mm of zoom. I didn't see it as much of a loss to have f/4 at the 70mm end, either.

• Agree Agree x 1
  11. jl1975

jl1975 No longer a newbie, moving up!

Photos OK to edit
    I have the Sigma 17-50 f2.8 and I love it. It's on the camera almost all the time. When I need more reach, I use the Nikon 70-200 f4. Both work great on the 7100.

12. Marinlik

Marinlik TPF Noob!

Photos NOT OK to edit

It's an interesting lens. But I think that the 17-50 is better for me because it looks to have the better image quality of the two, and I mostly use short focal length anyway.