d750 Advice

jpticar

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
Hey everyone. I haven't been on the forum in a while but I have been actively traveling and shooting my d90 as much as possible. I've had the d90 for about 6 years now and I really feel like I'm ready for an upgrade. I'm leaning heavily towards the d750 (most likely with the kit 24-120 lens). I know many people aren't fans of kit lenses, but I really like the versatility of 24-120 (coming from the d90 18-105 kit lens). My wife and I travel as much as possible and only check in travel backpacks, so only needing one all around lens is highly preferred.

Anyone with the d750 care to chime in on their thoughts of their purchase? Maybe even the 24-120? I've read countless reviews online and I'm about to pull the trigger, just figured I'd try to get some feedback from any d750 shooters on here. Below are some of my shots with the d90 and kit lens. C&C always welcome!

Thanks for any insights into the d750!

29b1y0p.jpg

1z5ly5u.jpg

wc1jy8.jpg

2f03mf7.jpg

fv8tuu.jpg

91l9j7.jpg

Absolutely love my 750, sold the 24-120. It's a good compromise lens as it covers a very useful range, but I found the compromise was very significant distortion at 24mm, some pretty bad CA in general, and it was fairly soft from 70-120.

Absolutely love my 750, sold the 24-120. It's a good compromise lens as it covers a very useful range, but I found the compromise was very significant distortion at 24mm, some pretty bad CA in general, and it was fairly soft from 70-120.

Thanks for the response. I usually spend a decent amount of time in lightroom so I don't mind fixing some distortion. You mentioned it was pretty significant distortion though. Easily fixable in post? I believe the kit is only an additional 400-500 bucks, so selling the 24-120 and recouping that cash probably wouldn't be too tough if I don't like the lens.

I have a feeling the quality of the 24-120 kit lens must blow away the d90 18-105 kit lens that I'm accustomed to right now. Has anyone used both of these lenses and can comment?

I have the d750 and the 24-120. Very satisfied with both.

I love my D750. Night focus is fast and accurate. Dynamic range is great. The only complaint I have is ergonomics. It's too thin compare to my D800 so holding it for a long time can be a pain. I don't have a 24-120 but I use it with my 24-70 most of the time. They work well together.

I love my D750. Night focus is fast and accurate. Dynamic range is great. The only complaint I have is ergonomics. It's too thin compare to my D800 so holding it for a long time can be a pain. I don't have a 24-120 but I use it with my 24-70 most of the time. They work well together.

I do love night photography and that was one of the pros I read in many reviews. I used to have the 24-70, but for travel and a walk around lens, it just wasn't long enough.

Thanks guys! Anyone else?

24 Million Pixels on Nikon FX format in D3x, D600,D610,or D750 creates a GORGEOUS, high-quality image; the overall sensor performance of these cameras far outpaces whatr the D90 can do...bigger sensor, moire-modern technology, wider dynamic range and much mnore post-processing ability to "Lift" dark,dark shadows is what happened once the Sony EXMOR sensor technology was put into the above-mentioned FX Nikon bodies.

I am almost always impressed by pictures shot on the above cameras! The newer FX bodies will definitely be an upgrade from the D90. 24MP FX is a sweet spot in terms of image resolution, and file size/storage space.

Got the D750 for about 2.5 years and I love my baby.
Never bothered with the 24-120mm, I use mainly the Nikon 24-70mm 2.8G on it.
Prices now on the new D750 are so cheap, bought mine for 2700$ CAN and I just saw yesterday new one for sale for 1800$ CAN in Toronto

Thanks for the input everyone. Making my decision much easier!

I have the D750 and love it. I mostly shoot with my 50mm f/1.8 prime. But I imagine the 24-120 isn't bad. Based on how nice your pictures are with the other kit lens, I'd say you're more than talented enough to make the most of it.

That said, I do think if the choice were mine, I'd pick the 24-70 f/2.8..... one day!!

Right now you can get the grip included for "free" and pick up a used copy of the 24-120 f4 for cheap.

I have a D750 (love it) and my favorite lens is a Sigma 24-105 Art. If you buy just the camera you may want to take a look at it rather than picking up the Nikon 24-120.

Thanks for the response. I usually spend a decent amount of time in lightroom so I don't mind fixing some distortion. You mentioned it was pretty significant distortion though. Easily fixable in post? I believe the kit is only an additional 400-500 bucks, so selling the 24-120 and recouping that cash probably wouldn't be too tough if I don't like the lens.

I have a feeling the quality of the 24-120 kit lens must blow away the d90 18-105 kit lens that I'm accustomed to right now. Has anyone used both of these lenses and can comment?

Coming from the d90 and a 18-105 you'll probably be quite happy with the 24-120. You can fix the distortion in post (at the sacrifice of some pixels obviously), but I just wasn't impressed overall with the lens which is why I sold it. I tend to be very, very picky with lens quality though because I shoot for large prints. Things that won't be as apparent when scaled down to share online can be glaringly obvious when printed large. There is some sample variation of that lens as well, so maybe I just got a copy that wasn't great.

When I got mine with the kit lens, I wanted to hate the 24-120 f/4 and I used mostly my primes (24mm f/2.8, 50mm f/1.4, 105mm micro) but, as luck would have it, the 24-120 was the only lens I happened to have available when some important shots became available. At f/8 I really can't see much difference between the 24-120 and the primes and it is perfectly usable at f/4. The D750 is so good in low light that I haven't missed f/2.8 etc. (my experience)

Most reactions

New Topics

Back