D80 Shutter wheel/rear control wheel not working

Destin

Been spending a lot of time on here!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Alright so I was out shooting motocross at the local track lastnight, when suddenly my shutter wheel stopped working, rendering my camera useless because I couldn't change my shutter speed, or half of the other settings. I turned the camera off and back on. Nothing. Took out the batteries and put them back in. Nothing. Changed lenses. Nothing. So I packed it up and came home. When I pulled it out of the bag, not 20 minutes later, it was working fine.

I've been researching it on the web all morning and it seems that alot of other people have have the same problem with their D80's, but none of the threads or websites I've come across can give a reason for why it does this. It seems to only happen in extreme heat or cold though from what I've read. (it was about 92 degrees and dusty, in direct sunlight at the track lastnight).

Anyone have any input on why it does this, or how I can prevent it? Is it something that can be fixed?

Maybe it's dirty inside.

Call Nikon and ask how much it would be for a CLA (clean, lube & adjust).

You can use any repair facility. KEH.com (they are in Atlanta) can look at it.

Nikon, Independent Authorized Repair Stations (ARS) : Nikon Service and Repair

If you have any mechanical aptitude and the appropriate tools, take it apart and have a look.

Most reactions

Back