D800 Announced!

Can I get a clear Explanation why someone would and would not want a D800 "E" .. is it supposed to have higher IQ without the filter?
Without the AA filter, the images are susceptible to moire when photographing something that has a pattern. That is why 99.9% of digital cameras have AA filters. But the cost of the AA filter, is that it robs some possible sharpness...hence, the market for cameras without the filter.

Also of note...I believe that LR4 has an moire fixing feature in the adjustment brush...making life easier for those shooting without an AA filter.

Another who will stick with my D700.

I'm still undecided about my D700, going to sit on the sidelines and watch. I was thinking I'd up to a D800, but now I'm thinking D4. I'm so not into the high megapixels as Nikon's way of knocking the D800 sensor back from the D4's performance. As a student just can't justify the D4, maybe after college classes. This old boat anchor D700 may have to trudgingly continue to shoot =)

Can I get a clear Explanation why someone would and would not want a D800 "E" .. is it supposed to have higher IQ without the filter?
Without the AA filter, the images are susceptible to moire when photographing something that has a pattern. That is why 99.9% of digital cameras have AA filters. But the cost of the AA filter, is that it robs some possible sharpness...hence, the market for cameras without the filter.

Also of note...I believe that LR4 has an moire fixing feature in the adjustment brush...making life easier for those shooting without an AA filter.

36mp without aa filter. Are they trying to steal some digital medium format market?

For sure the D700 is going to a viable tool for another year or 2. The technology isn't increasing multi-fold as in the past, it's more subtle.

36mp without aa filter. Are they trying to steal some digital medium format market?
Probably. Or at least be a viable option for studio photographers who require high MPs.
But the MF cameras are advancing as well. 60 and 80 MP cameras/backs are being used by those who have the means and/or need for them.

I'll wait till I see some reviews by pros actually using the body before I decide.
No one charges your card until it ships. But, if you don't jump on the list soon, you'll have to wait until everyone who 1) did get on the list and 2) beat you to the punch after those on the list.That is, if you were interested in the first place, of course.Mark
Not to decide on buying one right away, but to decide if I want a d800 or d4 a few years from now on the used market.

I'll wait till I see some reviews by pros actually using the body before I decide.
No one charges your card until it ships. But, if you don't jump on the list soon, you'll have to wait until everyone who 1) did get on the list and 2) beat you to the punch after those on the list.That is, if you were interested in the first place, of course.Mark
Not to decide on buying one right away, but to decide if I want a d800 or d4 a few years from now on the used market.

Yeah I suspect our elderly D700s will carry us. I'm thinking D3s bodies will be on the cheap too

Nikon screwed up releasing the D700 when it was about as capable as the D3...they learned their lesson and won't do that again assuredly. If you want high-speed burst you want a D4. If you want high IQ and the best ISO performance you need a D4...only good business sense.

I don't know if I can justify a D4...but it's starting to look really enticing :D

I think Nikon may of screwed up with this release, time will tell though. I still don't get why the prosumer level full frame camera is being aimed at studio photographers.. an interesting move! The thing that makes me laugh yet again.. is I saw yet more rumours that Canon are going with 22MP for the 5D3... this will really throw the cat amongst the pigeons if Canon does this.. who knows who will be the winner... the D800 is not a camera that has any interest to me.. My mac struggles enough with 12MP RAW files let alone 36MP RAW files.

;) The other thing that made me smile is the main positive people seem to be seeing in this thread about 36MP, is the fact you can get 16MP using DX lenses on an FX body. I'm not sure this is what Nikon were hoping to be a USP when designing the D800. Even though I'm a self confessed Nikon fanboy, Nikon have left me a bit cold with this decision to say the least. It just dosen't sit right to me.

I've said it once and I will say it again!

They are trying to steal the studio market with the prosumer level full frame body? WTF????? :er: Please someone explain this to my naive mind.. The D3X was clearly a PRO level studio camera.. this isn't mean to be a PRO camera? Or have I missed something?

Nikon screwed up releasing the D700 when it was about as capable as the D3...they learned their lesson and won't do that again assuredly. If you want high-speed burst you want a D4. If you want high IQ and the best ISO performance you need a D4...only good business sense.

I don't know if I can justify a D4...but it's starting to look really enticing :D

I think Nikon may of screwed up with this release, time will tell though. I still don't get why the prosumer level full frame camera is being aimed at studio photographers.. an interesting move! The thing that makes me laugh yet again.. is I saw yet more rumours that Canon are going with 22MP for the 5D3... this will really throw the cat amongst the pigeons if Canon does this.. who knows who will be the winner... the D800 is not a camera that has any interest to me.. My mac struggles enough with 12MP RAW files let alone 36MP RAW files.

;) The other thing that made me smile is the main positive people seem to be seeing in this thread about 36MP, is the fact you can get 16MP using DX lenses on an FX body. I'm not sure this is what Nikon were hoping to be a USP when designing the D800. Even though I'm a self confessed Nikon fanboy, Nikon have left me a bit cold with this decision to say the least. It just dosen't sit right to me.

Totally agree with this. I've not met a single person who says "18mp isn't enough for what I do". I'm sure they exist, but they already own Hassy's and PhaseOne's... I really don't understand what Nikon was going for in this cam. 6400 is the highest analog ISO? We've had that for years...

The metering and focus look pretty sweet, but I really wonder how many people will actually want this sensor.

It seems to be that both Canon & Nikon are going a great job of stirring up the bee's nest of internet malcontents with every new camera.

I can't remember the last time a new camera was met with majority approval on internet forums. All I hear is how disappointed people are and how they wish it had lived up to their wishes/expectations.

:roll:

It seems to be that both Canon & Nikon are going a great job of stirring up the bee's nest of internet malcontents with every new camera.

I can't remember the last time a new camera was met with majority approval on internet forums. All I hear is how disappointed people are and how they wish it had lived up to their wishes/expectations.

:roll:

Honestly, the D4 and 1Dx both look really awesome to me... not the D800 though.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back