D800 Announced!

Why would people want to spend $3000 on an FX camera just so they can use their DX lenses?

Why would people want to throw away perfectly good glass just because the new camera doesn't have a usable resolution?

There are a myriad of photographers out there who may be buying a D800 as their first full frame camera, who may have quite a collection of small and perfectly functional DX lenses, some acquired at considerable expense because Nikon never actually gave FX a thought until a few years ago, and who skipped on the D700 because damn they're not going to spend $3k on a camera which ends up taking 5mpxl photos.

It may come as a surprise to you but not everyone buys an entry level crap camera and then purchases pro grade lenses for it. The words you're looking for is "Upgrade path"

Any word on the size of a .NEF file from this monster?

74MB.

LOL @ people who keep their RAW file forever.

Another who will stick with my D700.

I'm not looking to upgrade from my D7K because I've only had it less than a year. However, I would not throw $3K into this body. It seems like they're going to try and market it more 50%+ toward the video segment. I'm not interested in video from a dSLR at all. That's just me though. I'd rather have faster burst and better ISO. If I were looking to go FX right now I'd probably look at one of the older bodies - D3 or D700 right now over a D4 (which I couldn't afford anyway) or a D800. I would guess given the stats and my understanding of the D800 that the D700 isn't going to drop in price right away. Particularly not the new ones because if the D800 isn't moving they're going to keep the price point similar to entice people to go with the new model instead.

D700 ISO Sensitivity

ISO 200 - 6400
Lo-1 (ISO 100)
Hi-1 (ISO 12,800)
Hi-2 (ISO 25,600)
D800 ISO Sensitivity

ISO 100 - 6400
Lo-1 (ISO 50)
Hi-1 (ISO 12,800)
Hi-2 (ISO 25,600)

SO is it slightly better or the same or less capable in low light? According to the spoecs directly off Nikon's web page it actually has comparable usable range?

That 36mp looks really sweet from a macro veiwpoint (Super crops if needed).. and since all the macro I do is with flash, I could care less about the ISO (which is still damn good, btw). But I guess I will stick with the D4 for now....

Can I get a clear Explanation why someone would and would not want a D800 "E" .. is it supposed to have higher IQ without the filter?

Why only 4fps in burst? The D700 can do 5. It means that anyone who needs high burst capability will have to go with the D4.

Nikon screwed up releasing the D700 when it was about as capable as the D3...they learned their lesson and won't do that again assuredly. If you want high-speed burst you want a D4. If you want high IQ and the best ISO performance you need a D4...only good business sense.

I don't know if I can justify a D4...but it's starting to look really enticing :D

I wonder what the ISO performance is. I wonder if it could actually be worse than the D700.

This could be a possibility. They stated that image resolution was a key factor for the d800 and the lower light capability were focused on more with the d4. Sounds like it would be a great camera for a studio photographer.

Nikon screwed up releasing the D700 when it was about as capable as the D3...they learned their lesson and won't do that again assuredly. If you want high-speed burst you want a D4. If you want high IQ and the best ISO performance you need a D4...only good business sense.

I don't know if I can justify a D4...but it's starting to look really enticing :D

Dang.. I am agreeing with everything you say this morning! lol!

Most reactions

New Topics

Back