D810 plus lens or D850?

Chopster01

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I have a Nikon D7200, a couple of DX lenses, and the FX 24-70 2.8 VRII. Later this year I want to upgrade to a full frame camera. The D850 almost seems like more camera than I need. It is expensive and, to make best use of its features, I might have to buy new batteries and cards, etc. as well. For the same money as an D850 body, I could get a D810 and a very good kit zoom lens. But there is the nagging fear that I might regret not going for the larger upgrade farther down the line, and I already do have a fine FX lens and my DX 35mm lens could work well on it too. I know this isn't a psychology support group, but any help you can give me in making this decision would be helpful.

the D850 is one hellofva body. you already have a "very good kit zoom lens" imho.

But the D810, is a great body as well, just not as great :p

Which of course is where I'm at, lol! Would I have to buy the larger battery, grip, and card (adding another $900)?

I think that 24-70mm is much better suited to FX, but what are the other reasons you need to go FX.

The D7200 with that 35mm lens is super portable, the D850 with that 24-70mm takes some dedication to drag around all day.

I'd vote for the D850 but it's not my money. From all of the specs, I was very interested in it. I think it may be the best all around camera out there right now.

I think that 24-70mm is much better suited to FX, but what are the other reasons you need to go FX.

The D7200 with that 35mm lens is super portable, the D850 with that 24-70mm takes some dedication to drag around all day.

In addition to making the best use of my expensive zoom lens, lol!, I want the extra low-light capabilities that full-frame gives and want my wider angle lenses to actually be wider. But the weight thing bothers me a bit. The D810 is a bit lighter than the D850 and in situations where I don't need the faster VR lens, a lighter FX kit lens and a lighter camera would make lugging much easier.

D750 and 2 lenses :)

I would tend to go with the D810 and a good lens, but the D850 is a very nice camera. I'm not really sure that the added megapixels that the 850 offers over the 810 is all that big of an advantage for most people. I think about 36 million pixels we're starting to get into the area of diminishing returns in multiple areas like storage card use filling up computer hard drives transfer of files etc. This was sent by speech to text From my iPhone.

I would tend to go with the D810 and a good lens, but the D850 is a very nice camera. I'm not really sure that the added megapixels that the 850 offers over the 810 is all that big of an advantage for most people. I think about 36 million pixels we're starting to get into the area of diminishing returns in multiple areas like storage card use filling up computer hard drives transfer of files etc. This was sent by speech to text From my iPhone.
Ironically, I would probably use the medium raw file size anyway I think, but all those extra focusing points seem attractive.

The d850 stores 46 mp using the full 24x36 sensor. I shoot portraits so tend more to shoot in the adjustable 4x5 (think 8x10 or 16x20) format or square that are 37mp and 30 mp respectively . Takes less storage, may eliminate cropping in post. I have heard there is some image degradation with shooting in raw medium or small. What do you shoot? How do you use the images? On line, you don't need all those mp. Printing no larger than 13x17, the same. It does allow cropping to dx as well, changing my 135 to a 200 angle of view. Have you considered staying with crop, a d500, and going with dx lenses that are less expensive and lighter? Not much difference in dynamic range, great high iso, and comes with 10 frames per second. 24 mp plenty unless you are printing a lot really large. One of my most awarded images was not only taken with a d200, 10 mp, but also with one of Ken Rockwell's nikon's 10 worst lenses. There are quality dx wide angle lenses, so if you need wider, I'd sell the 24- 70 and buy a dx w/a. Probably the advise you don't want is save all the money and improve your craft. It costs much less and can transform just about anyone's work. As ansel said, the most important part of a camera is the 12 inches behind it. And the emphasis is on work, camera's don't make nearly the impact on an image as lenses and lighting, no matter all the manufacturer's advertising. What would I carry for fun? A d500 and I do, but use my FX lenses. Same control arrangement and size as the 850 and my L bracket fits both.

Last edited:
The d850 stores 46 mp using the full 24x36 sensor. I shoot portraits so tend more to shoot in the adjustable 4x5 (think 8x10 or 16x20) format or square that are 37mp and 30 mp respectively . Takes less storage, may eliminate cropping in post. I have heard there is some image degradation with shooting in raw medium or small. What do you shoot? How do you use the images? On line, you don't need all those mp. Printing no larger than 13x17, the same. It does allow cropping to dx as well, changing my 135 to a 200 angle of view. Have you considered staying with crop, a d500, and going with dx lenses that are less expensive and lighter? Not much difference in dynamic range, great high iso, and comes with 10 frames per second. 24 mp plenty unless you are printing a lot really large. One of my most awarded images was not only taken with a d200, 10 mp, but also with one of Ken Rockwell's nikon's 10 worst lenses. There are quality dx wide angle lenses, so if you need wider, I'd sell the 24- 70 and buy a dx w/a. Probably the advise you don't want is save all the money and improve your craft. It costs much less and can transform just about anyone's work. As ansel said, the most important part of a camera is the 12 inches behind it. And the emphasis is on work, camera's don't make nearly the impact on an image as lenses and lighting, no matter all the manufacturer's advertising. What would I carry for fun? A d500 and I do, but use my FX lenses. Same control arrangement and size as the 850 and my L bracket fits both.
The more I learn, the less I know, lol! This may be my last camera purchase in a long, long time, and that puts the pressure on to make the right choice. The huge mega-pixel count was not a selling point, but the autofocusing system is. And the longevity. Downsides of the d850 to me are the weight, and oddly enough, to some extent the mega megapixels. The d810 is lighter, but not as good in low light, and I often shoot in adverse conditions. If I want to make a jump to full-frame, financially it would be best if I did it this year or the next. Perhaps I should stick to cropped. Would the d500 be a good lasting purchase? Will I ever have the talent to warrant any equipment I own, lol? I have no answers, and a little time to figure things out. Since I do street photography, spontaneous portraits, concerts, events, some landscapes, and NOT studio work, I've even given some thought to throwing in the Nikon towel and going Sony mirrorless. But I've had Nikon my first film slr over 30 years ago. Change is hard. And I just bought that 24-70 VR II zoom. Thanks for all your info.

I would like to tag onto this post, I am in a similar situation, but coming from a D7100.

I had considered the D810 as an option, but at $2800 and the D850 at $3300, it is "only" a $500. I am not saying that $500 is not a lot of money, but it is about 15% price increase.

I would like to tag onto this post, I am in a similar situation, but coming from a D7100.

I had considered the D810 as an option, but at $2800 and the D850 at $3300, it is "only" a $500. I am not saying that $500 is not a lot of money, but it is about 15% price increase.
I agree. I would not feel significantly worse about dropping $3300 if I was already set up to burn $2800.

You can shoot the D850 in 'crop' mode and have the same megapixel density as a full D500. Why would you NOT want that?

You already have a 24-70, which is a PERFECT kit lens for FX.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back