D90-ERR MESSAGE- PROBLEM SOLVED..IT'S A LEMON!

jdhill

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
I Got my D90 for my Birthday in OCT 08, so of course the warranty is up! So i call Nikon repair and talk to a guy there. He had me do a couple of things to the camera that makes the Err light {CHA} come on and the green light stays on in the back. He tells me that it is the memory chip not communicating with the camera. He tells me to send it in to California and they will fix it. I tell him my warranty is up on the camera and he says it doesn't matter that this issue is covered. He said he would email me a packing slip. Well the packing slip never came so I figured out a way to print up my own from their website. I send the camera and the lens because I wasn't fully convinced it wasn't the lens too. Then here is were the problems begin....I get an estimate for a repair for the D90 body for $235. The lens of course is covered by a 5 year extended warranty. I call them back and they tell me My camera is over a year old and is not covered. I tell him again about the conversation I had with the first guy and they DENY I ever had this conversation with anybody! They are standing behind this $235 estimate and won't budge. Even though they know this is a problem with there camera! I've been researching on the internet and it seems I am not the only one with these issues. I have never ever used any other brand other than Nikon and I have never had any problems with any of my other nikon cameras. I am sad to say that I will never buy another product from Nikon. Their support staff is a bunch of liars and they obviously don't care about the reputation of NIKON! If it's still under warranty send it to them now. Don't delay...If it's not broken yet.....insist that they fix it anyway. I am gonna pay the $235......I just wonder how many more times I will have to send it back. So far it will be a $1735 LEMON!

That's it, get it out. Get it all out. Now take a deep breath.

Welcome to the real world, where if it isn't in writing, it was never said. That's why email is so much better for that kind of communication, than the phone is - records.

Your D90 is 2 years old this month, the warranty was for 1 year.

You're condeming the entire company and the entire support staff, because of 1 misguided low level employee.

Did you get the name of the employee you first spoke too?

When you printed the shipping label and packing list, you started a repair order on their system that had absolutely nothing to do with the previous phone conversation you had.

Nikon USA Service wasn't your only option. There are independent Nikon authorized repair shops all over the country, and the list is linked to right there where on the Product Service & Repair page you found out you could print a shipping label and packing list on.

Nikon Authorized Repair List

Good luck in your future dealings with the corporate world, it's pretty much all setup the same way. :thumbup:

Thanks for the response. I do feel better today after my ranting yesterday. I actually am condeming the company for 3 misguided low level employees. They keep a log in their computer of all calls that they receive and no i didn't get the name of the first person I talked to....my mistake...won't happen again. The repair order on their system had everything to do with the conversation I had with the first person. Quoted word for word..."Memory chip not communicating with the camera" They seem to know exactly what the problem was without even seeing the camera, which leads me to believe that this is a common problem or "defect" if you will. I have seen lots of posts on the internet with people having the same problem. What I see in the future is an email in my inbox saying "If you would like to participate in this class action lawsuit please click the link below" :er: and your quote is right on except for the low price part......it wasn't even close to a low price in my book

Thanks for the response. I do feel better today after my ranting yesterday. I actually am condeming the company for 3 misguided low level employees. They keep a log in their computer of all calls that they receive and no i didn't get the name of the first person I talked to....my mistake...won't happen again. The repair order on their system had everything to do with the conversation I had with the first person. Quoted word for word..."Memory chip not communicating with the camera" They seem to know exactly what the problem was without even seeing the camera, which leads me to believe that this is a common problem or "defect" if you will. I have seen lots of posts on the internet with people having the same problem. What I see in the future is an email in my inbox saying "If you would like to participate in this class action lawsuit please click the link below" :er: and your quote is right on except for the low price part......it wasn't even close to a low price in my book

Look I understand you are upset, but the bottom line is your warranty was for one year, your camera is two years old. Regardless of whether you feel like this is a "common" problem that you heard a ton of folks complaining about, Nikon is not obligated to fix your camera for free. Welcome to the unpleasant side of Corporate America in the middle of a recession, otherwise known as known to consumers as the "assume the position" era.

Expense management is the name of the game if corporations want to remain profitable. And you better believe the chances are high you would have endured the same ordeal if you had a Canon or Sony. Sure...once in a while you hear a story about someone who received free repair work after their warranty expired. But IMHO, that is the exception....not the rule.

Lastly, you will be old and gray explaining to your grandkids what a "dSLR camera" is before you receive your $25 of compensatory damages from a class action lawsuit. :mrgreen:

Most reactions

Back