D90 vs D60? Long winded alcohol provoked thread.

PhotoXopher

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Website
www.lightartisan.com
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
When I started my journey into the DSLR world I chose a D40, loved it.

A friend of mine in California had the D80 and the things that ingtritued me about it were the dual command dials and commander mode, so I bought one.

I then started seeing GPS devices for DSLR's pop up on the Internet so I looked, D80 not supported but the D200 was - low and behold the D200 at the time was on sale at Best Buy for $500 - so I bought it and the GPS to go with it.

I then realized the low light performance sucked on the D200, bummer because I really liked the camera.

I decided to exchange it for a D90 since the D90 also supported GPS and had better low light performance.

Great decision!

I truly love the D90, it's everything I wanted/needed in a camera.

But... for some reason I longed for my D40 again, its size was great and my wife thought it felt good in her hands.

I could never shake the idea, so I bought a D60.

So now I have a D90 and a D60.

That all said... I go for a walk every day at lunch hour and take photos, I love it.

The weird thing is, why do I prefer taking my D60?

You're indecisive it seems..

Maybe the D60's lighter so it is less strain on your legs carrying it around.

Indecisive, certainly... however I typically under buy and then buy what I should have in the first place, I never add on what I had.

Weight wasn't a concern either... I'm 6'2 and have big hands so the D90 actually feels better.

Maybe it's the newness of the D60... I dunno.

Also, I want to mention I sold all of my purchases for what I paid for them and the D200 was a 100% credit towards the D90. I didn't mean for it to sound like I had money to throw around because with 3 kids I certainly do not :lol:

You need to spend more time at the gym and less time at the camera store I think. I walk around with a 5DMk2 and a 70-200 f/2.8L IS attached to it.

:D

Nothing wrong with expanding your (photographic) horizons I suppose, so I guess having a pretty broad understanding of different cameras helps.

Little cameras have their draw. Lightweight makes it a lot easier to grab the camera and go. Having a heavy camera body and a ton of lenses makes it a lot more of a commitment.

When I started my journey into the DSLR world I chose a D40, loved it.

A friend of mine in California had the D80 and the things that ingtritued me about it were the dual command dials and commander mode, so I bought one.

I then started seeing GPS devices for DSLR's pop up on the Internet so I looked, D80 not supported but the D200 was - low and behold the D200 at the time was on sale at Best Buy for $500 - so I bought it and the GPS to go with it.

I then realized the low light performance sucked on the D200, bummer because I really liked the camera.

I decided to exchange it for a D90 since the D90 also supported GPS and had better low light performance.

Great decision!

I truly love the D90, it's everything I wanted/needed in a camera.

But... for some reason I longed for my D40 again, its size was great and my wife thought it felt good in her hands.

I could never shake the idea, so I bought a D60.

So now I have a D90 and a D60.

That all said... I go for a walk every day at lunch hour and take photos, I love it.

The weird thing is, why do I prefer taking my D60?

Laziness? :) Seriously, the D90 being compatible with a much broader range of lenses is just one reason it's a better camera. I'd be more than willing to use it instead of a D60 but I use a D300.

I've been tossing around the idea of having a D40 for this reason, and is why i'm seriously looking into buying a GF-1, even if it's at $900 with a lens. (still cheaper then a leica!)

I love my D700 to death, but the catch is that it attracts attention to itself. When my girlfriend and I go out on adventures and we bring the camera, it becomes a trip on taking pictures with the gear, not really enjoying getting out of portland.

Which is what makes the GF-1 and EP-1 so perfect. A GF-1 with the 20mm pancake will teild an image that is similar to my D700 with the 50mm on it. However, the GF-1 will be smaller, lighter, and ultimately more subtle (especially with the EVF).

Having SLR quality, and flexibility in a camera the size of a rangefinder is amazing, and it's something that I can take everywhere with me at all times and be subtle about it. I can't do that with the D700, it's just too damn big.

I'd love to pack the 700 with me so I can shoot pictures all the time, but I can't. It takes up too much space!

The GF-1 with the 20mm would be perfect for when i'm just messing around, or want to pack light, otherwise, for work, or when I need an ISO faster then 1600, out comes the D700.

For example, earlier today at First Thursday (index), I saw a guy rolling around a stroller with a gripped D300 and 70-200 f/2.8 VR, all around his neck. He might have enjoyed walking around with it, but I doubt it.

Another example, when my girlfriend and I first went to the woodburn tulip festival this summer, I took the D700 and 50G and she brought the D70, 18-70, and 55 macro. We spent all day there and got some great pictures, we had a ton of fun! we were able to enjoy ourselves.

We saw a guy there who had two lowepro waistbags around his shoulders, a gripped D700 with 70-200VR, AND a tripod. around his neck! He was lagging behind his wife and daughter who were having fun while he was sweating his ass off trying to keep up. He hated it, and you could tell.

We totally made fun of him because he was sweating so much and we knew we were having so much more fun :p

I know Mr. Rockwell gets alot of flak, but once in a while, he's absolutely right, How to Carry Less

When you don't have a boat anchor around your neck, you don't fatigue as quickly, or as much, you don't fuss around with settings all the time, and as a result you shoot more, and get better pictures.

I think it's awesome that you love your D60, it's an amazing camera!

I think it's ridiculous when people insist on bringing their 5D's and D700's with f/2.8 telephotos for no reason except to try and attempt to justify their purchases, even if it's a quick family trip to Disneyland or a short stroll in downtown.

Not only do you make your life harder, but you look like a tool doing it.

Figured I'd give this an update...

Last night I threw my MB-D80 grip on my D90 and got it ready for today - I'm glad I did, it was a blast!

I forgot how fast this thing is, plus it felt great in my hands.

I guess the moral of the story is, I just enjoy all my cameras - they each have their purpose.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back