Dad attempting portraits of kids C&C appreciated

NikonRookie

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Let me preface this by saying that I know very little about portraiture......and photography in general, except what i've been able to pick up here and on the internet. Also read some Bryan Peterson and Scott Kelby books to jump start my learning. Reading only takes you so far, and i'm trying to get out and practice putting some of these concepts to use.

It was overcast yesterday, so my wife thought it would be a great opportunity to go out and do a little shoot with the kids. I imagine it is much easier to shoot someone elses kids since they probably listen better :)

Here are a few select images. All natural light, no flash used. Lens is a 85mm 1.8g at f/2.8 primarily. I shot these in .jpg only, and don't know enough yet about white balance to have made a good choice there. No post processing done. Any input on how to improve next time would be greatly appreciated.....in camera and post.

KMR-1 by HKnut, on Flickr

KMR-5 by HKnut, on Flickr

KMR-3 by HKnut, on Flickr

Kids-1 by HKnut, on Flickr

Kids-3 by HKnut, on Flickr

Cropped K & L holding hands by HKnut, on Flickr

7. (Used flash on this one randomly t osee how it worked)

KMR-14 by HKnut, on Flickr

8. Action shot

LHR-1 by HKnut, on Flickr

9. Hiding on her Brother

KMR-15 by HKnut, on Flickr

All of these are pretty solid to begin with. You did a very good job with exposure and depth of field.

For suggestions: Most could benefit from some fill flash to eliminate raccoon eyes. In the action shots, try to compose so that theres more "empty space" in front of your subject (in the direction they're moving. I think for the "hiding" shot, I'd have framed it horizontally and cropped it in tighter.

Overall, though, a very nice set.

Agree with WT; also watch the small, background details. #5 would have been a really nice shot were it not for the car and parking-lot lines in the background.

They are very nice and i think they have potential. Great dof. I especially like 4 and 5. My advice would be to shoot Raw and maybe do some editing. You did well with the camera but they need some editing. I had a go at your first photo. Maybe i overdone it a tad though...

Girl-3.jpg

2 and 4 are winners. I like what edsport did to your photo. i dont like the dframing on that shot because its a little crowded to the right but she has a sweet expression.

Edsport's lightening up of the dark eye sockets REALLY helps add to the springtime feeling...ALL of the originals have dull,lifeless-looking eyes--that is the major concern in this set...the raccoon eyes...otherwise, decent family shots of the kiddos. Adorable-looking,happy looking kids! Clothing really matches well with the location and season of the year.

They are very nice and i think they have potential. Great dof. I especially like 4 and 5. My advice would be to shoot Raw and maybe do some editing. You did well with the camera but they need some editing. I had a go at your first photo. Maybe i overdone it a tad though...

Girl-3.jpg

I like this edit but to me it appears that the WB was changed incorrectly. Were the flowers behind her yellow or orange? Good edits otherwise.

Thank you all for the encouraging comments, and constructive feedback. Looks like I need to learn about fill flash, or reflector use. The dark eyes were very disapointing when I got home and opened them on the computer, but i'll live and learn, and try not to make the same mistake twice!

I made the mistake of thinking "no sun, no shadows"...........guess I confused "harsh shadows" with shadows in general. Bonehead move on my part since obviously any light source, even a very diffused light source is going to create some shadows.

I also appreciate the feedback on the cropping and the background distractions. Wish I would have caught the car in the parking lot. Taking two steps to the left would have fixed that.

Edsport, that post processing makes a world of difference! You can actually see her beautiful blue eyes! What did you use for software, and how did you get the dark eye sockets to lighten up so well?

Thanks again all!

Thanks Derrel for the Like and the compliment.

Jwbryson1, i thought the color of the flowers was a bit dull so i changed the color of them but this is why i said that i may of overdone it.

NikonRookie, I brightened her eyes using photoshop's dodge tool and i also added a bit of color...

Last edited:
4 is my favorite, I'd clone out the window and level it a bit. Then bring some spring colors out. Composition seems good to me on most. I like 6 a lot too actually.

Wish I would have caught the car in the parking lot. Taking two steps to the left would have fixed that.
Getting rid of the car can also be done with editing...

girlboy2.jpg

Edsport, that is impressive. You would never know that the car and parking lot line were ever there. Thanks for sharing and giving us hope to make some of these shots better.

We bought photoshop elements for my Wife to use as she has much more patience, and a better eye for post processing than I do. Can these edits be done in elements, or does the full version have better tools for these types of edits?

Nice pictures! Great editing too... geeeeee i have a lot to learn :lol:

I think you are just being modest. These are really good. I love how much emotion the kids are showing. Good looking kids you got there and yes you do need work on post but that will come in time with trial and error but you did a really good job.

I love #9, I could just imagine a whole story based on that one picture.

Most reactions

Back