DAM system where you don't pay through your nose..

came99

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
I am working in a small non profit organisation, where we seriously need something to manage our pictures - both the 30k currently on our NAS, but most of all going forward. I really hope someone can provide some advice.

Our problem is that we have tons of pictures, and it is very overwhelming to find the pictures again. We basically need a intiutive and easy system for our employees to tag and search for pictures on an on-premise NAS. We also need to be able to keep a "usage history", where you can see in what regards (and when) the picture has been used before. The first and foremost functionality is to be able to write metatags directly to the picture file (also in batches), so all our valuable tagging won't be locked into a proprietary system. Preferably it should also work across different OS platforms. At least across PC - Mac. If it worked across mobile devices also would be icing on the cake

I checked out something called Daminion. That's cool enough, but they wan't a whooping 5000 dollars for it - and even then only 2 people can use it at a time. That's not gonna fly for a small nonprofit organisation as ours.. Especially not when a free program like Picasa almost can fulfill our needs (but we are obviously a little hesitant on relying on a piece of discontinued software).

So all your photographers out there. Can you help with some advice? As I said: We are a nonprofit NGO (in the sustainability sector), where all 60 employees should be able to upload and search for pictures in the same library. It will mostly be used by our comms-team though.

Thank you SO much in advance, I litteraly spent dozens of hours looking for the right solutions, and I honestly can't grasp why this has to be so effing expensive.

Not many people here are going to have experience with the type of software you are looking for. The people here manly just work on a single hoe computer with Lightroom. It sounds like you need something much more then that.

I would contact the company of that software you said you found and see if they would be willing to donate or discount a license since you are a Non Profit.

Just reread your post. You say you are a small non profit. How small?

I think that most DAM options that allow multiple users to access the database are going to be similar in price to Daminion.

The last company I was at set up their own system where everyone given a log-in could upload their photos and videos. All uploads were reviewed and tags were added or modified by an approval group and then anyone logged in could search for and download content. I know they spent a lot more than $5000 on that set-up, it took six months to launch and then was in beta for 3 months before all the employees were given log-ins.

Another group of us used ACDSee and we could share images uploaded to Dropbox. I think anyone with access could go in and change things around, delete files, etc. I don't remember if there was a way to set different levels of access.

Make your own. Develop a keywording protocol and file-naming / directory structure, maintain the working archive in cloud storage so that anyone with Internet access can add/search and you're off to the races. 30,000 images isn't many at all. I have several times that, and use the system I've just described (except as I'm the sole user, I maintain them on local drives). Never had a problem finding anything.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back