Dance Class

Granddad

Been spending a lot of time on here!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
SWMBO attended a dance master class last week and I went along to take some shots:
1 $ArtsNKDance_00025.jpg

2 $ArtsNKDance_00116.jpg

3 $ArtsNKDance_00136.jpg

These were shot in a sports hall at night with fluorescent light and no flash. I think I have the WB reasonably accurate but opinions are welcome. These weren't set up shots. Number 1 I took the vertical line of the table leg and noticeboard mid left as the level, I think that worked. Number 2, not sure about - I picked this one because it was fairly sharp, there was another similar that was much softer but better in other ways. Looking at number 3 I see I'd have had a much better shot if I'd been down at her level. C&C always welcome.

OP
Granddad

Granddad

Reaction score
Photos OK to edit
Thanks Lew, yeah, I think you have a point. The floor and walls were fairly yellow but when you put it like that with the comparison I can see that it definitely needs toning down. :thumbup:

Derrel

Mr. Rain Cloud
Reaction score
Website
www.pbase.com
Photos OK to edit
You know, this brings up something I have noticed for over a decade...it seems to me that MANY photographers in England shoot for a white balance that is decidedly too warm, too yellow...I see it a LOT in the British "glamour" shots that are churned out by that country's many amateur photographers, as well as a goodly number of professionals. And no, I am not making this up...I have seen thousands of British glam/news/society photos on the many celebrity news web sites, as well as in British on-line newspaper sites,many with white balance that look decidedly too yellow.

I am wondering if this might not be just a preference...like for example, in the USA, food retail experts say it is almost impossible to sell cheese that is not wrapped in plastic; Americans for the majority view cheese as a "dead" product, and one which simply must be plastic wrapped, or bagged; Americans will not willingly buy many cheeses sold in wax, or cut from wheels and sold via deli case methods...same with luncheon meats...Americans as a group tend to prefer "wrappers" on luncheon meats.

Anybody have any thoughts on this?

OP
Granddad

Granddad

Reaction score
Photos OK to edit
You know, this brings up something I have noticed for over a decade...it seems to me that MANY photographers in England shoot for a white balance that is decidedly too warm, too yellow...I see it a LOT in the British "glamour" shots that are churned out by that country's many amateur photographers, as well as a goodly number of professionals. And no, I am not making this up...I have seen thousands of British glam/news/society photos on the many celebrity news web sites, as well as in British on-line newspaper sites,many with white balance that look decidedly too yellow.

I am wondering if this might not be just a preference...like for example, in the USA, food retail experts say it is almost impossible to sell cheese that is not wrapped in plastic; Americans for the majority view cheese as a "dead" product, and one which simply must be plastic wrapped, or bagged; Americans will not willingly buy many cheeses sold in wax, or cut from wheels and sold via deli case methods...same with luncheon meats...Americans as a group tend to prefer "wrappers" on luncheon meats.

Anybody have any thoughts on this?

:scratch: I can't say I've noticed this yellow trend, now I'm going to have to do an extensive research project on British glamour photos to see if I agree :)lmao:).

This set IS yellowish but that's the room I was shooting in and the fluorescent lighting. Also I switched my D700 WB from auto (which it usually stays on) to fluorescent because on my screen the 1st couple of images appeared quite a lot less yellow than the actuality. These only got basic treatment in LR3. I see now that I should have imported some unwrapped cheese wedges, or would that have been overdoing the "These Photos Are British!" ;)

Have you noticed a similar tendency in my portrait shots of dancers, Derrel? (If you don't remember my threads here are some samples: Dancers in the Studio)

Most reactions

New Topics