Dappled sunlight

It looks ok.. non-dappled (i.e uniform, green lawn) would probably look better.

I got hell for having dappled sunlight in my one of my promo shoots a few months ago. I understand why its not ideal but sometimes i think it looks pretty... as long as its not over the subjects face, or if its not too harsh/intense in the background. Anyways please CC this shot. Is the dappled sunlight to harsh? I did a recovery in LR.. i just don't know if its good enough. But like i said earlier.. I think dappled sunlight can look pretty
6022486127_5d31c6be4d_z.jpg

She does look blue and yellow... I see it now lol. I'm gonna try desaturating the blues/cyan or warming it up a bit. Thanks all!

HER left side of her head has the gold reflected light and looks warmer, however, her right [edited] side from the bridge of her nose over, and down to her chin has a strange look to it. Like its a bluish/gray shadow. I may be off on the color since my laptop is not calibrated, but the shadow/odd tone is definately there.

WHOOPS, should have said her RIGHT side has the grayish blue look.

Last edited:
She does look blue and yellow... I see it now lol. I'm gonna try desaturating the blues/cyan or warming it up a bit. Thanks all!

But didn't you say gold stops the blue :lol: and i also mentioned the gold behind her ear are you sure the reflector was infront ?

But didn't you say gold stops the blue :lol: and i also mentioned the gold behind her ear are you sure the reflector was infront ?

PLEASE... just at least try to think logically here. Did I have some sort of wrap around reflector? Obviously not. I had a gold circle reflector right infront of me, which is why the other side of her face is bluish... you know, the side where the reflector didn't reach?
I probably did have the reflector more to my right, but what does that matter? What are you trying to prove?
Just have some common sense: use a gold reflector in the shade... and unless one doesnt use some sort of long horizontal wrap around reflector there are going to be parts of her face... especially when they are posed in a angle that the reflector is not going to light.
Keep desperately trying to show me up though... you look like an idiot.

I think you all have overworked your "CC"s.
When a photog goes into the field to shoot children portraits ie in this case someones yard or park with the subject in the shade and a dappled light background it is just that.
A nice little portrait of a kid on the grass.
IT IS NOT A GREAT PIECE OF ART.
Chances are you critics could do little better.
Now if any of you have truly Creative, Constructive Criticism for this admitted amateur who is trying hard to understand all you have spit on her and trying to improve, give it to her.
Your "opinion" is just that. An opinion - every one has one. Facts like problems with over/under exposure, bad lighting, out of focus, bad shadows/highlights, composition etc are what should be given -- along with a break to one who is trying.

I've seen highly accomplished pro shooters shooting (on purpose) high end fashion shots in dappled light. Every rule will be broken. That is how real art starts. JMO

PLEASE... just at least try to think logically here. Did I have some sort of wrap around reflector? Obviously not. I had a gold circle reflector right infront of me, which is why the other side of her face is bluish... you know, the side where the reflector didn't reach?
I probably did have the reflector more to my right, but what does that matter? What are you trying to prove?
Just have some common sense: use a gold reflector in the shade... and unless one doesnt use some sort of long horizontal wrap around reflector there are going to be parts of her face... especially when they are posed in a angle that the reflector is not going to light.
Keep desperately trying to show me up though... you look like an idiot.

Thats the idea you have light and shadows instead you are trying to light everything to get your flat lighting, shadows are good

My oppinion is.. forget about gold or silver. Do white. You dont want to blast the kid!

I'd go with an orange / reddish reflector and make the kid look like an old style Ooompa Looompa.
But that's just me.

If I were to pixel peep or spend more time detailing out the image, I'm sure I'd find flaws and issues. But when I glanced at it, I find it a nice portrait of the kid, didn't mind the lighting. Well, I did find the image a bit bright / slight over exposed, but that could easily be my tired eyes or monitor (or both).

If shooting for a client, get the image you like, and then get other varieties for the client. Shoot this one, then recompose slightly and get another.

I'd never do cwb outside, shooting a baby. the lighting is going to change so much from shot to shot. Better just to correct it in LR....

The thing is this photo is going to have to be "selectively colored" to correct the problem. I am not sure I would shoot with a gold reflector on a baby, but that is just me, I might use white and then just change the wb in post to adjust for the shade.

Did you have this guy stand camera right?

goldmember.gif

Agreed with the coloring of the child. The warmness of the light on the right looks out of place in the shade and with a cooler lighting on her front.

I think it's a nice picture, but the sunlight in the background right next to the sunlight on the side of the kid's head kind of makes it hard on the eyes a little (at least mine). If I focus specifically on the outline of the child's face in that area, my eyes start to sort of go in and out of focus.

Most reactions

Back