Dark Ceremony? Please help

kric2schaam626

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Ok, so this church was nice and dark . . . you would think representing the pearly gates they'd be a little brighter, but anyway . . .

I'm still learning to adjust light after I got over my fear of the manual setting.

DSC_0512.jpg

DSC_0529.jpg

DSC_0590.jpg

Last edited:
It looks like there is a fairly wide gap in lighting different parts of the church vs the bride and groom. I'd try to expose for their faces and let everything else fall where it may. The first image looks like it's a little overexposed for their skin. The 2nd and third images look a little underexposed on their faces. If you're already at 2.8, I'd adjust the ISO as a first choice and shutter if needed (but only if you're using a tripod).

The reflected light meter in your camera should have indicated the photos would be underexposed (dark) before you released the shutter. The image EXIF data shows no exposure bias was set so the meter would not be biased to underexposure. Do you know how to use the light meter in the camera's viewfinder when you are shooting?

The image EXIF data also shows you had your D80 set to Matrix metering. You have much more control if you use spot or center-weighted metering. See page 52 of your D80 users manual for an explanation of the D80's three metering modes.

On an unrelated note, the camera was far from level in any of the photos you posted.

Here are some free online tutorials you might find helpful:

Digital Photography Tutorials

On an unrelated note, the camera was far from level in any of the photos you posted.

Here are some free online tutorials you might find helpful:

Digital Photography Tutorials

Ok, well metering is where I need help. I promise, I know how to take a level picture. I think I was going for "cool" angles before I got my lighting down. I won't do it again :p

This is the other thread where I posted a few pictures of post ceremony too:
http://www.thephotoforum.com/forum/photography-beginners-forum-photo-gallery/212160-iso-apertures-shutter.html

I promise, I know how to take a level picture. I think I was going for "cool" angles before I got my lighting down.
Time and place for everything. I hardly think a wedding ceremony is the place to experiment with camera tilt. Now if you were shooting a skate park, that makes sense. Here it doesn't. I get the impression after viewing some of these tilted pictures that the photographer was either drunk or incompetent.

I get the impression after viewing some of these tilted pictures that the photographer was either drunk or incompetent.

That's taking it a little too far. I asked for advice, not a jerk. I took plenty of level photos. Be a jerk elsewhere please.

Any other input would be greatly appreciated though.

Be careful what you ask for. ;)

I get the impression after viewing some of these tilted pictures that the photographer was either drunk or incompetent.

That's taking it a little too far. I asked for advice, not a jerk. I took plenty of level photos. Be a jerk elsewhere please.

Because that is exactly what you got, "other input". Be mindful too, you are posting on a public forum, meaning people are more apt to call a spade, a spade.

You asked for input, but even if you asked for sugary advice I probably would have replied the same way. My comments were not an attack against you. I was illustrating (very colorfully) how these tilted photographs made me feel -- the impression they gave me. I would have said the same thing to anyone.

You jerk. :sexywink:

what film are u using? are u doing a snip test? did u go an scope it out first?

You asked for input, but even if you asked for sugary advice I probably would have replied the same way. My comments were not an attack against you. I was illustrating (very colorfully) how these tilted photographs made me feel -- the impression they gave me. I would have said the same thing to anyone.

You jerk. :sexywink:

They're not THAT bad, but thanks anyway.:er:

I hope you werent the only photographer. Can't redo a wedding you know.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back