Dark sky Milky Way

You could drop your ISO to 4000 and increase your time to 24 sec and let photoshop/Topaz fix the rest to cut down some of that noise.

Only if she’s shooting at 14mm or less (21mm with crop factor). Any focal length beyond that would need a shutter speed of less than 23.8 seconds to maintain pinpoint stars.

This is a rough guideline based upon the 500 rule and you can sometimes push it a little, but not very much in my experience.

12mm on a crop.

You could drop your ISO to 4000 and increase your time to 24 sec and let photoshop/Topaz fix the rest to cut down some of that noise.

Only if she’s shooting at 14mm or less (21mm with crop factor). Any focal length beyond that would need a shutter speed of less than 23.8 seconds to maintain pinpoint stars.

This is a rough guideline based upon the 500 rule and you can sometimes push it a little, but not very much in my experience.

12mm on a crop.

Ah you’re all set then. Good to about 27/28 seconds.

Is that the 12mm f/2 Samyang/Rokinon? How do you like it? I’ve been eyeing one for my Astro work.

I don't use the 500 rule, I use the 300 rule actually gives me 25 sec but I still find a second less gives me sharper images. I am learning to use the MSM now so it's a bit of a moot point. ISO 800, f/2.8, 180 sec. 14mm - however we've had 17 straight days of nighttime cloud cover so that's a bit of a moot point, as well

12mm on a crop.

Ah you’re all set then. Good to about 27/28 seconds.

Is that the 12mm f/2 Samyang/Rokinon? How do you like it? I’ve been eyeing one for my Astro work.

Yes it’s the Samyang version It’s fine - not amazing but no issues. Nice for the price as they say. The external aperture ring makes it easy to use. The infinity point is a bit before the end so need to manually focus but that’s easy enough using live view. Having f/2 for night sky is great.

I agree that I need to up my shutter speed - thanks for the reminder. I was way off the other night using 12 and 14 seconds and using a lower ISO as well. Not sure what I was thinking - I had read an article about ISO invariance and shooting at lower ISO to get more color in the core then bringing it up 2 stops in post. The problem with that is you really can’t use the lcd to see what you’re getting when you’re under exposing by that much. Have to stop and in camera convert the raw and increase the exposure +2 then view it. I checked it a few times but it’s not the same as seeing it on your computer later. I got enough light for the mw but the foregrounds in some of my shots later on at the lake are toast. Lesson learned!

I don't use the 500 rule, I use the 300 rule actually gives me 25 sec but I still find a second less gives me sharper images. I am learning to use the MSM now so it's a bit of a moot point. ISO 800, f/2.8, 180 sec. 14mm - however we've had 17 straight days of nighttime cloud cover so that's a bit of a moot point, as well

I think the MSM I ordered is not coming for a bit. Says shipping from Singapore and not picked up yet by DHL! T I thought it was coming from their warehouse in the US or wouldn’t have ordered. Too many international shipping delays right now! Crossing my fingers and trying to be patient but that’s not my strong suit.

My MSM took about three weeks from order to delivery. I also recently ordered the MSM tripod wedge and it went out almost instantly...should have it by week's end. Get it now because I can assure you the price will go up significantly in the near future.

My MSM took about three weeks from order to delivery. I also recently ordered the MSM tripod wedge and it went out almost instantly...should have it by week's end. Get it now because I can assure you the price will go up significantly in the near future.

What is the function of the wedge?

It's a tripod head that sits atop the tripod (head 1) that has a number of different up/down, right left fine tune controls to put the MSM precisely in alignment with the laser on Polaris

@SquarePeg I almost always accidentally under expose my Milkyway shots and have to bring them up some in post.

No matter how much I remind myself not to, I always find that a proper exposure looks too bright on the LCD. Maybe because it’s so dark out? Idk... definitely need to remember to check the histogram more frequently while shooting.

@SquarePeg I almost always accidentally under expose my Milkyway shots and have to bring them up some in post.

No matter how much I remind myself not to, I always find that a proper exposure looks too bright on the LCD. Maybe because it’s so dark out? Idk... definitely need to remember to check the histogram more frequently while shooting.

The lower ISO worked in the sense that I do see a lot more color in the core but due to the too short ss it’s super noisy. Ok for social media but not anything I could print.

Just checked the tracking and it cleared customs in NY and is in Boston as of this morning. Should be here by Wednesday if not sooner! Any tutorials on using it that you found helpful?

In the booklet they send with it, there is a list of sites and useful tips...lots of stuff on youtube

It's not looking good. I may see if I can push it out to 2021.

careful about picking a destination. I’m willing to bet there are LOTS of people thinking the same thing;)

Most reactions

New Topics

Back