Daughter's Soccer Game

vipgraphx

No longer a newbie, moving up!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Second time out with the 70-200 VR II but this time with a D700. I did not want to post to many as I know it gets hard to critique. I took into account from my last time posting in this section and tried to make the changes that were advised. It was my first time shooting with the D700 vs the D7000 so it was very very different for me. I do miss the range difference with the D7000 paired with this lens gave me but from comparing images from last weeks shots to this weeks shots side my side I think that these when everything was perfect like focus. The D700 produced a better looking image. The D7000 seemed sharper with less effort and with the D700 I really had to nail focus and exposure. I decided to try C with 51 point 3D tracking. I think it works but nonetheless its going to have to take some time to get use to this new camera...

DSC_3838 by VIPGraphX, on Flickr

el molinito by VIPGraphX, on Flickr

DSC_3766 by VIPGraphX, on Flickr

DSC_3738 by VIPGraphX, on Flickr

DSC_3692 by VIPGraphX, on Flickr

C&C please. Be harsh I really really need it but if you are going to be harsh please include some learning tools along with your feedback. Thanks!!

There's only so much you can do at amateur sporting events, especially when you don't have either full access or long (400mm+) fast, glass. Overall, I'd say you did well, but there are a couple of things to watch; first is placement of background objects. In #s 1 and 3 you have things "growing" out of her head, and I think overall, the set would have been stronger had most of them been shot in vertical/portrait mode.

Just my $00.02 worth - your mileage may vary.

~John

Nice pictures, sharp focus. I also think that some selective cropping would be helpful.

For example, #3 would look much better if you removed most of picture above her head, and a little bit on the bottom. Too much space there.

The last picture take away the space to her right (on the picture). If you leave the goalie we know what she's doing, but by taking out the two players in red in the background our eyes don't drift to them.

A very quick edit, only crops - no other pp.

7059877697_57bab6788b_b.jpg

7059877517_4116ec36b6_b.jpg

Tighter crops on all of them would help. You're on the action and they are sharp. Not much you can do about the backgrounds, we all deal with them at this level of sports. The crops would take some of that background out. Keep at it. Maybe try shooting down the field more and not from the sidelines.

Yes, the D700 will give you a shallower DOF that you're used to, which can make it harder to nail focus.
This is one of the rare advantages to the crop sensor cameras, they give you more DOF for a given aperture than a full frame camera. Not something many people thing about.

On thing I noticed, is that most of the faces are fairly shadowed. This will be a result of shooting on a sunny day and the direction of the sun and where you're shooting from. Looks like you had afternoon sun, so shooting with the sun at your back would probably give you better lighting on the players. Either way, some of them are (or bordering on) being underexposed. It's tough, because the white jerseys may be blown out....but most could use more exposure on the face. It might be enough to do some selective brightening in post though.

Nice pictures, sharp focus. I also think that some selective cropping would be helpful.

For example, #3 would look much better if you removed most of picture above her head, and a little bit on the bottom. Too much space there.

The last picture take away the space to her right (on the picture). If you leave the goalie we know what she's doing, but by taking out the two players in red in the background our eyes don't drift to them.

A very quick edit, only crops - no other pp.

I see what you are saying about the crops and thanks for your feedback!

Tighter crops on all of them would help. You're on the action and they are sharp. Not much you can do about the backgrounds, we all deal with them at this level of sports. The crops would take some of that background out. Keep at it. Maybe try shooting down the field more and not from the sidelines.

Most of these shots where from just right or left of the goal. I took some advice from the last post about have to move around the field and not stay put so I tried that this past weekend. Yeah youth soccer does not have those exciting backgrounds of advertisements and fans so can't do much about that hugh....Thanks

Yes, the D700 will give you a shallower DOF that you're used to, which can make it harder to nail focus.
This is one of the rare advantages to the crop sensor cameras, they give you more DOF for a given aperture than a full frame camera. Not something many people thing about.

On thing I noticed, is that most of the faces are fairly shadowed. This will be a result of shooting on a sunny day and the direction of the sun and where you're shooting from. Looks like you had afternoon sun, so shooting with the sun at your back would probably give you better lighting on the players. Either way, some of them are (or bordering on) being underexposed. It's tough, because the white jerseys may be blown out....but most could use more exposure on the face. It might be enough to do some selective brightening in post though.

I will try the selective brightness on the face and see how it comes out. Thanks about that shooting with the sun behind you, I will try to apply that next game.

There's only so much you can do at amateur sporting events, especially when you don't have either full access or long (400mm+) fast, glass. Overall, I'd say you did well, but there are a couple of things to watch; first is placement of background objects. In #s 1 and 3 you have things "growing" out of her head, and I think overall, the set would have been stronger had most of them been shot in vertical/portrait mode.

Just my $00.02 worth - your mileage may vary.

~John

Thanks for the c and c. I will have to keep that in mind next game. Try no to have objects sticking out of the head....

Most reactions

Back