Dead Man's Hand

scorpion_tyr

No longer a newbie, moving up!
Reaction score
Website
lawrenceburnsphotography.yolasite.com
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
Just a shot I did for fun last night, wanted to know what y'all thought. C&C is always welcome.

IMG_3485e20.jpg

Love it!

Maybe IF I'd change anything at all, I'd try real money & coins or older poker chips instead of the newer brightly colored poker chips??? Maybe.

That's really cool!! :thumbup:

VERY well done (and FWIW I agree with Blackdog's suggestion). I think this is the sort of image that begs for you to post a tutorial on how you acheived this.

I really want to know what the fifth card is.

Pretty cool stuff. If I'd change anything it would be shooting the ace of hearts...mabye even make the heart bleed. Borders on unreal but might be kinda cool...and symbolic.

Thanks everyone!

Maybe IF I'd change anything at all, I'd try real money & coins or older poker chips instead of the newer brightly colored poker chips??? Maybe

I plan on doing this shot again, or at least something very similar and I'll probably use that idea! Thanks!

Pretty cool. :) Alternatives: maybe use a real gun and add more blast/smoke/fire?

I had not planned on having the gun in the shot at all, but I noticed without some sort of source for the bullet the whole picture seemed kind of pointless, and the cap gun was the only revolver I had around. I thought about a semi-auto but I didn't figure it would look right. And yes, I wish I could have gotten better smoke too, but I got dizzy and gave up too soon.

I think this is the sort of image that begs for you to post a tutorial on how you acheived this.

Well here ya go: I simply took some 20 gauge wire and bent it and taped it to the back of the cards and then taped the bottom part of the wire to the table and covered what I could with chips. I did the same for the bullet except I drilled a small hole in the back so the wire just stuck in there and the bullet is just hanging on it. Then I just punched a hole through the card with a small pen, and then went back with another bullet of the same size. For the gun and smoke I just took some aquarium tubing and taped it to the other side of the barrel and blew cigarette smoke through it while trying to time it just right using a wireless remote. That's how I got dizzy quick and just took the best I had gotten. Lighting was a Canon Speedlite 580EX II on a tripod just to the left and high. The camera and lens were a Canon EOS 60D with a Tamron 28-70 f/2.8. Settings were ISO 100, 1/250, and f/18.

Pretty cool stuff. If I'd change anything it would be shooting the ace of hearts...mabye even make the heart bleed. Borders on unreal but might be kinda cool...and symbolic.

That's not a bad idea. I went with the most commonly accepted version of what Wild Bill was holding for this shot, but I'm a big fan of shooting stuff with cameras and guns so I may do something very similar.

how did achieve this shot?

2 aces of spades would be a nice too. Might explain the need for violence - maybe not subtle enough though.
Good work - although I'm a bit disappointed you did't actually throw the cards 427 times until you got it right.

;)

Well I'm dumb, I wasn't even thinking about "dead mans hand" / wild bill correlation. durrrr. It's amazing how your brain works when you finally get some sleep. lol.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back