Decent tripod setup for <= $150?

matt62485

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Let's face it, some of us are on a tight budget... at least I am. I NEED a decent tripod setup for the time being. I don't expect anything extravagant, but I'd like it to do the job and be sturdy. Mainly for a few pix I'm going to be taking of my sister who is pregnant and her baby when born.

Trying to stay $150 or less for the setup. If I can get a good base and upgrade the head later then I'll do so.

Please recommend me some? I've searched and found several, but not sure where to go. I'm sure you guys could lead me to a few right off hand and I could narrow it down to my one from there. :meh:

Matt. Im not a pro but i strongly suggest you go with a used higher end like manfrotto or similar product. You will be able to find a ball head used for cheap as well. If you go with a high quality like mentioned above you are probably getting something that even if used will still be in great or decent shape. I bought my setup here in the buy and sell section and basicly got a brand new setup. happy hunting

Thanks. I'll try the local camera shop who has suprisingly affordable prices and a selection of lightly used gear too. I guess thats an option I didn't really consider

I understand money tight but, your better off saving up for a better pod. I think a Pod should only be purchased once, its a waste to have to buy a second pod because the first one doesnt hold your gear and not to mention you turn your back for a split second and your gear goes smashing to the ground. what about using a table, counter top or pillow to support for now as you save and search for a pod?

I understand money tight but, your better off saving up for a better pod. I think a Pod should only be purchased once, its a waste to have to buy a second pod because the first one doesnt hold your gear and not to mention you turn your back for a split second and your gear goes smashing to the ground. what about using a table, counter top or pillow to support for now as you save and search for a pod?

2nd that.

I bought a $120 pod years ago and just had to upgrade due camera shake in windy conditions. Ebay is a good place to buy used. COuld save you hundreds

I think you should look on e-bay. There are usually many used pods and ball heads there at good prices and it's pretty tough to mess up a good pod. I bought mine there for about half the new price. The pod was a bit beat-up looking, but works great, and the head was pristine (like-new). Look for a Bogen 3021 -- the old standby. Durable and solid, albeit a bit heavy.

Let's face it, some of us are on a tight budget... at least I am. I NEED a decent tripod setup for the time being. I don't expect anything extravagant, but I'd like it to do the job and be sturdy. Mainly for a few pix I'm going to be taking of my sister who is pregnant and her baby when born.

Trying to stay $150 or less for the setup. If I can get a good base and upgrade the head later then I'll do so.

Please recommend me some? I've searched and found several, but not sure where to go. I'm sure you guys could lead me to a few right off hand and I could narrow it down to my one from there. :meh:

I have vanguard Tracker b300 and I do not have any complaing aginst it sturdy and it hold up to 22 lbs. I get that one on sale for $189 with the ball head

You could think on this one wich is the middle point
Adorama Has it for 169 this is the link.
TRACKERB200 Vanguard Tracker Series B200 Aluminum Tripod with SBH-200 Ball Head with Quick Release, Maximum Height 68", Supports 18 lbs.
The Vanguard TrackerB200
VGTB200.JPG

As an eBay Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.
I like that one from Adorama
N.gif

The 1228 from Adorama has suited me JUST fine. Very sturdy, very impressive. Certainly there are better tripods for 2 or 3 or more times the cost, but... the Adorama is a budget price, and pretty well suited for the semi-pro. Of course, you'll need to spend at least an additional $100-$150 for a decent head, but that's another story...

think I'm picking up a Manfrotto from a local dealer this weekend. I'm not sure what model is it but I know it's $175 for the legs about another $75 for the ball head.

oh and not to mention a SB-600! :drool:

Most reactions

Back