Decisions, decisions....

PNA

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I need suggestions and where better to get them, but from TPF members, of course.

Here’s the scenario…. I was brought up on film, B&W in fact, and my heart is still there. Recently I purchased a new F5 and truly love the feel and weight of the unit. Compared to my F3 w/motor the F5 is a joy to use. I also have a D70 and as we all know digital has replaced film as the accepted medium today. The D70 is also a complete and exciting camera to use and when editing with PS….well, WOW. ;)

Now to the issues.... B&W film is not readily available here so I must order online, no big deal, but it's something else to deal with. I haven’t developed film for ages, but I can get the necessary tank, chemicals, etc. online. Also no big deal. As for a scanner, I have an HP 3970 flatbed which is slow and sometimes not to accurate, a good upgrade might be a Nikon 5000. Or…. Have Sam’s develop the film and put it on disk which limits the type of B&W film to C-41, ISO (ASA) 400 and reduces resolution quality. :meh:

OK, now do I order film and developer, upgrade the scanner and go retro or upgrade the D70 to a D200 or D2Xs, put the F5 on the shelf in a dust cover next to the F3 and go digital! :confused:

I’m looking for your thoughts, thanks. :wink:

Move next to my house, install the darkroom, buy the tanks and chemicals and teach me darkroom.
I would so love to learn it (again/better)!
There was a friend who said he might put his old darkroom back into use, but he decided otherwise, so no darkroom access for me. But if I could, I would do ALL sorts: handmade b+w AND digital, and colour films handed into the local drugstore for machine development. I am like that.

I when back to doing my own B&W developing about 2-1/2 years ago, but had the prints made at a local mom & pop lab that had good prices. Well they are closed now. Found a new lab but their prices are mush higher.

My subject would be to get a good scanner. I have a medium grad Epson flatbed negative scanner it just OK IMO. I’ve been thinking about upgrading too. You should be able get a nice 35mm negative only for under $500 or for MF & 35mm around $1400,

Also both C-41 BW film can be pushed & pulled with no change in processing.

Does it have to be either one or the other? I really enjoy shooting both film and digital. Each has it's strengths, and it's sort of refreshing to go back and forth.

It is a true dilemma. I went from film(B&W developing and printing) to a D200 and really haven't gone back......yet. I keep telling myself I will start shooting film again. But I don't know. I'm leaning towards you getting the film stuff just because the F5 is such a cool camera. But ...........................

What a waffle answer.:lol:

that's a toughy. if you wouldnt have bought the f5 it would have been easier because i would have just said to stay all digital or try some MF or LF film instead of 35mm. IMO 35mm film just doesnt have that many advantages, although it is fun to develop and print. but since you bought the f5, why not just buy the equipment and chemicals to develop and continue using your d70? then, if you decide you want to upgrade your d70 later on, you can.

Y'al seem to be leaning torward the film side of the issue...... :thumbup:

OK, I wonder what the results would be if I posted the same message in the digital thread..... :mrgreen:

Will you mods allow me to repost in the digital thread????

If you can't think of a really good reason to shoot film, then go digital. Everybody's doing it. ;) There's no doubt in my mind that it's more convenient, and in most ways just as good as 35mm quality. It's pretty much taken over most of the photography where I would have used 35mm in the past. For me the main advantages of film are in medium and large format, and I like shooting my old cameras.

I'll be honest, I never understood why anyone other than a sports/action photog would haul around an F5. If you are going to be toting that much camera, why not medium format?

If you can't think of a really good reason to shoot film, then go digital. Everybody's doing it. ;-)
Well, I'm not doing it, and can't imagine a good reason to spend good money on one of them. :razz: But then, I'm a hobbyist, so I don't have to think about the mundane value of being practical. I can still take three weekends to produce a bromoil print series, and believe it's time well spent. :lol:

Acsonpg, I don't think anyone will object if you put this same question in the Digital forum, even though it's not a stretch to wonder what kind of replies you'll get.

You'll have to figure out why using film still has appeal to you, and whether or not you can envision it still having appeal to you down the line. Only you can really weigh those pros and cons - be objective and make up a list of each, if you have to! Sometimes seeing things written down really makes it easier. :)

terri said:
Well, I'm not doing it,

But I'm sure you can think of plenty of good reasons to continue using film. I only said switch if you can't think of a good reason. I can come up with lots of good reasons to use both film and digital.

Besides, Terri, you're just scared! You're scared of digital like I was scared of digital, and right you should be. If you give it a chance it will grab a hold of your passion, and run with it, and then you'll be stuck like me. In love with both mediums. A photographer sitting on the fence when everyone else wants to choose sides. It's lonely, but at least I have my cameras, I'm broke, but I have my cameras... ;) ;) ;)

terri said:
You'll have to figure out why using film still has appeal to you, and whether or not you can envision it still having appeal to you down the line. Only you can really weigh those pros and cons - be objective and make up a list of each, if you have to! Sometimes seeing things written down really makes it easier. :)

Terri, that’s a really great idea…..at this point I believe it’s strictly nostalgia since digital seems to be more practical in terms of time/production.

Many thanks to all for your opinions and suggestions. Perhaps others will benefit from this thread as well. :D

I did post on the digital thread just for kicks...we'll see what the response brings. :lol:

Film is better for learning and art. Very good for a hobbyist who knows how to expose.

You take your time with composition
The lenses have better feel and are cheaper
The bodies are better. They don't make big viewfinders anymore with digital. (Hassy is the only exception, but how many hobbyists own one? )

In the end you can get a canon digital body and use manual focus on it. Canon EF mount can accept M42, pentax, Leica, Contax/Yashica, Nikkor and some other ones. That's what I would do if I was starting all over.

DocFrankenstein said:
Film is better for learning and art. Very good for a hobbyist who knows how to expose.

You take your time with composition
The lenses have better feel and are cheaper
The bodies are better. They don't make big viewfinders anymore with digital. (Hassy is the only exception, but how many hobbyists own one? )

Except for the bigger viewfinders, this is pure hogwash, Doc! Don't blame the gear for the photographer's weaknesses!

Besides, Terri, you're just scared! You're scared of digital like I was scared of digital, and right you should be. If you give it a chance it will grab a hold of your passion, and run with it, and then you'll be stuck like me. In love with both mediums. A photographer sitting on the fence when everyone else wants to choose sides. It's lonely, but at least I have my cameras, I'm broke, but I have my cameras... ;-) ;-) ;-)
:lol: awww..... :hug:: nutter!

Nope, I'm one of those oddballs in that I absolutely, genuinely have zero interest in shooting digital cameras. I look at them with the same level of interest I have when seeing a New & Improved toilet scrubbing product. I know this makes me sound like a freak, a luddite, an obstinate ostrich, and I freely admit to all that, too. :mrgreen:

Now, there may come a day when the only way I can get my hands on a transparency is to make one off my printer, and I'll then be grateful for folks like Dan Burkholder who can show me the way. ;)

But, give up my film willingly? Why would I do that? How would I make a bromoil? Do image transfers? Hand color on luscious gelatin silver prints? I haven't even started lith printing yet! (that's really what I fear these days...I'm going to be assimilated and you'll never see me again) Plus, I just bought a Mamiya 645 and it's soooooo be-you-tee-ful.... :lovey:

I'll stay in the dark, alone with my stained fingertips, squinting out at the fence-sitters.... :razz:

ksmattfish said:
Except for the bigger viewfinders, this is pure hogwash, Doc! Don't blame the gear for the photographer's weaknesses!
Larger viewfinder allows me to see better that is actually in the frame... and MF cameras don't steal half of the light for the AF system.

Do you disagree about the lenses too? Do you prefer plastic to metal lenses?

Most reactions

New Topics

Back