Designing a new PC - need advice

Overread

hmm I recognise this place! And some of you!
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Website
www.deviantart.com
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
So been chatting and putting together a new PC to use since my current one is getting older and older and more and more bloated with stuff. At present I have the following build

Intel Core i5-4670K, NZXT Source 530 - System Build - PCPartPicker United Kingdom

To which I'm going to add:
GeForce GTX 660
Creative SB X-Fi
external DVD drive

Those all come from my current computer and it helps me get a few hundred from the cost of the new machine. I will likely upgrade some of those components in time when funds allow (the other part of the funds are going for camera lighting).

I'm going for a 3 drive approach - the SSD for the OS and general core software - whilst the first 2TB is for photos and the second for games.

So anyone got any thoughts or advice on the part selection and alternatives that might be more suitable?

I love that site -- I found it a while back and documented my latest build there, too.

The only two thoughts I've got re: your build would be to consider more RAM -- especially if you use LR or PS, and maybe consider mirroring your photo data drive.

Are you keeping the stock Intel HSF?

Must admit when someone showed me that site I've quickly grown to love it too - makes PC building a LOT easier just organising all the parts and options.

Also I've made a change already
Intel Core i5-4670K, NZXT Source 530 - System Build - PCPartPicker United Kingdom
Decided to cut the Deluxe down to the Pro on motherboard. They appear to be very similar in spec and the differences in features I'm less likely to make use of I suspect. Saves me £50 or so on the setup and still gives me the same general performance of motherboard.

On the fan front at present I'm thinking on sticking with the stock. From what I understand the stock is generally good enough unless one starts overclocking which is something I've never really looked into nor done so I'm less likely to pursue it. I could use the money saved from the MB to increase the RAM.

On the fan front at present I'm thinking on sticking with the stock. From what I understand the stock is generally good enough unless one starts overclocking which is something I've never really looked into nor done so I'm less likely to pursue it. I could use the money saved from the MB to increase the RAM.

Not a bad move. I picked up a Corsair H100i, and I'm not loving it quite as much as I'd hoped. I think you'll be just fine with the stock HSF.

if you are building your own system, i would definitely recommend including some MB's, TB's, and GHZ's in your computer.

I basically have this exact set up and it is amazing. I run the I5-4670 with a GTX660. Some of the smaller parts you listed are different than mine. Like someone said above, I would up the ram a bit. I am a big gamer and there are only a select few games that I cant play on max settings. I also haven't come across a program that slows the machine down.

Thanks runnah - interesting to see that the GTX660 is still ranking pretty high on the list on that site! I was glad to buy the card a while ago and very impressed with its performance though in my current computer the more limited resources of the rest of the machine are certainly holding it back some (I think its all something around 6 years old now - very good for its time but after that long its just not up to most modern games).

It will likely be a while before I can get a new graphics card; I'll likely invest in a better screen long before (which will cost a fair bit as fast refresh and no contrast/brightness shift with viewing angle are an expensive combo)

ORourkeK - many thanks for the input and glad to hear someone is running a similar setup and getting good results :)

What's your plan for backing up photos?

You might want to consider setting up the hard drives (especially the one that contain data) in a RAID 0 (mirroring) configuration. I've built my computers like this and it saved my butt once. The one drive choked and if that had been my only drive, I would have lost everything.

I've been using a 1TB external for photos (my internal in my current machine got full up of stuff). So what I'll do is copy over the photos into the new 2TB internal and then manually back-up to the external. I think if I had a commercial turn-over of photos (ergo lots daily and with more time constraints) I'd use an automated setup - but for now with my current output manual is more than sufficient.

My grandson just built a kick-ass gamer. He got the parts from here:

Republic of Gamers

Overclocked of course, and a water-cooled CPU. I really don't know what all is in it but it is FAST!

No "fluff" in it, either.

If you have no interest in overclocking then I wouldn't pay for the "K" model ( unlocked multiplier ) processor. Put the money saved towards more/faster RAM. I like aftermarket cooling for the processor, even the cheap ones are much quieter then the stock Intel units.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back