Sports photos: composition tips and tricks

Discussion in 'Photojournalism & Sports Gallery' started by photoflyer, Dec 10, 2017.

1. ac12

ac12 No longer a newbie, moving up!

Can others edit my Photos:
    Photos NOT OK to edit
    Destin,

I found it ! :biggrin-93:

On my D7200; Menu > Custom Setting > d-Shooting/Display > d3-Max Continuous Release.
    Maximum number of shots when in Continuous mode CH or CL. From 1 (=single shot, which does not make sense) to 100.
    You should have something similar on your D500.

If you want to shoot more than that max number, you have to release the shutter to reset, then press and fire another burst.
    I tested it, and it works :)
    But, you are in "burst" mode. You do not have the option of going "full auto." You have to press, release, press, release, ...

The trick is to determine what the burst value should be.
    Default is 100 (the max).
    I think my usual burst is 3-6 shots in CH mode. But I have occasionally had the longer burst. So I don't want to restrict myself too much.
    I think that I can control my finger. It is not so cold, that I loose fine finger control.
    But I'm usually firing off ONE shot rather than a burst, in CH mode. Old film habits die hard.

Last edited: Jan 20, 2018
  2. vintagesnaps

vintagesnaps Been spending a lot of time on here!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    Give those kids mechanical film cameras, that ought to break those button pushing habits!! lol

Really, I think kids might learn something from shooting film (on cameras that are mechanical); all the auto everything on cameras seems to end up making it harder than it has to be. I mean, people are always on here posting about focusing points etc. and can't seem to focus worth a damn; if instead they'd learn to focus manually they could nail it. I shoot hockey and focus manually, even with my digital camera, so it's not like it can't be done.

3. photoflyer

photoflyer No longer a newbie, moving up!

Photos OK to edit
    I agree but I just cannot get it really sharp like I could with the split screen on my old film Nikon. I understand there is some way to get spilt screen focus on DSLRs.

4. ac12

Photos NOT OK to edit
    I think us manual focus photogs are in the minority.
    But even I recognize that AF is so much easier, and faster. I've done snap shots in soccer and basketball, shoot one subject, then immediately turn and shoot another, which would be hard with a MF lens.
    Except when the camera/lens can't focus and goes nuts and hunts. I lost several soccer goal shots to that problem :-( Interestingly, it usually happens on the goal/net shots with this one lens.

There are basically 2 types of students in the yearbook class.
    • The 'button pushers' who are not photographers. They just have to shoot photos for their page. They just want a P&S.
    • The photographers. These will use the features of the camera and will learn.
    Exposure has been and still is a problem.
    • Manual exposure is difficult to learn for non-photographers, some more difficult than others. And some photographers have trouble with it also.
      • I shoot the gym (volleyball and basketball) and night games (football and soccer) in manual mode, to avoid lighting problems that confuse the meter. Except for 2 experienced kids, I won't even try that with the rest of the kids.
    • Auto exposure is generally good.
      • But even auto exposure is tricky. They have to know that sports needs a higher shutter speed to freeze action, and how to tell the camera to do that.
    The problem is that the school cameras are pool cameras.
    So if someone changes a configuration, and forgets to change it back, they screwed their classmate.
    And someone did just that last week, putting away the camera still in RAW mode.
    The next kid to use the camera was close to crying, cuz she could not use the photos she spent the time and effort to shoot. They don't have a RAW to JPG conversion in their workflow. For simplicity and speed, they shoot in JPG.
    Luckily, I shot the same game, and was her safety net.

I try to simplify the camera configuration to reduce some of the potential problems of sharing cameras, using the KISS principle.
    • After I found some wildly out of focus shots (zone focusing on the wrong subject), I set ALL the cameras to single point AF, center point. No fancy AF modes. That took care of most of the AF problems.
    • They shoot in JPG only. To simplify the workflow.
    • Shutter and AF are in continuous mode.
      • It is too difficult to get them to switch back and forth between single shot and continuous mode. Remember these are P&S type kids.
      • I would have set the cameras to single shot mode, but they don't know how to time the shot when shooting sports, which requires practice and experience. So I told them to just shoot a burst, and hope they got the shot they want, in one of the shots of the burst.
    • Auto ISO. To let the camera adjust for lighting conditions.
    Yes, I am turning the dslr into a fancy P&S. Because most of the yearbook staff are not photographers.
    The 2 experienced photographers, know how to do what they want with their cameras.

I have one experienced student that I am training to be my student helper, and to help the other kids when I am not there.

5. ac12

Photos NOT OK to edit
    That glove just bit me in the butt.

My gloved thumb accidentally turned the command dial of my D7200, changing the shutter speed, and underexposing a bunch of shots :-(
    I did not feel my thumb on the command dial, so I did not know that my thumb was on the dial.
    The knitted glove grabbed the knurled dial, so it was easier to turn the dial. A smooth leather glove may not have snagged the knurled dial.

That's it for shooting with a glove on my right hand.

• Like Like x 1
  6. Destin

Destin Been spending a lot of time on here!

Photos OK to edit
    I don’t remember if the 7200 has it, but my D500 and d810 both have ways of locking the command dials so that they don’t do anything if accidentally bumped.

On the 500 it’s “hold down record button, rotate dial”

I think it’s a customizable function of that button. I don’t remember how it works on the 810 off the top of my head, but I know it’s different.

7. ac12

Photos NOT OK to edit
    Destin,
    I'm using the record button + command dial to adjust my ISO quickly.
    So that option is gone.
    But I might look at it again.

• Like Like x 1
  8. Destin

Destin Been spending a lot of time on here!

Photos OK to edit
    If it’s there, it may be available to other custom function buttons.

9. ac12

Photos NOT OK to edit

COLOR

Something that I was curious about for a long time, but never bothered to get an answer to, till this week, when I talked to the Athletic Director and to one of the coaches. That is uniform color. Because when the opposing team is in RED, it visually distracts the eye from my team. It turns out that there is a league policy:
    • For home games, they wear white/light uniform.
    • For road/away game, they wear dark/colored uniforms.
    So in the composition, you want the viewers eye to go to YOUR team member, NOT the opposing team member.
    In my case, if you do not want the opposing team to visually distract your eye, you go to THEIR home games, where THEY are in white.

Edited to remove photos, sorry.

Last edited: Feb 14, 2018