Development issues.

teneighty23

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
I sent in 5 rolls of Fuji Velvia 50 film, and wanted them to return the canisters. but they returned me Fuji Superia 100 film canisters, i would not normally care, but i checked my pictures, and EVERY single frame has a huge amount of contrast, like black shadows to blown out clouds, now im just wondering for anyone who has developed film, if it were developed as if it were ISO 100 film, would this be the result? i have shots lots of velvia 50 and it is incredible stuff and i never have trouble, it was very discouraging. I just want answers is all! thanks

I sent in 5 rolls of Fuji Velvia 50 film... now im just wondering for anyone who has developed film, if it were developed as if it were ISO 100 film...

No.

For one thing, modern color films all use standardized processes. There is no difference in processing for different ISOs.

Second, while Velvia is a slide film, Superia is a color negative film. The processing chemicals are quite different. If you "cross-processed" Velvia (a E-6/CR-56 class film) in the C-41 class chemicals the results would be a poor off color negative, not a positive. The opposite is true, Superia processed in the chemicals for Velvia would result is a bad, orange positive.

Since your images are positives (I assume so as you didn't list that as one of the flaws) its safe to assume they were processed in the correct chemicals. If the flaws you see are the result of processing errors it would most likely be from improper replenishment or temperature.

I sent in 5 rolls of Fuji Velvia 50 film... now im just wondering for anyone who has developed film, if it were developed as if it were ISO 100 film...

No.

For one thing, modern color films all use standardized processes. There is no difference in processing for different ISOs.

Second, while Velvia is a slide film, Superia is a color negative film. The processing chemicals are quite different. If you "cross-processed" Velvia (a E-6/CR-56 class film) in the C-41 class chemicals the results would be a poor off color negative, not a positive. The opposite is true, Superia processed in the chemicals for Velvia would result is a bad, orange positive.

Since your images are positives (I assume so as you didn't list that as one of the flaws) its safe to assume they were processed in the correct chemicals. If the flaws you see are the result of processing errors it would most likely be from improper replenishment or temperature.

Sorry my mistake, i knew the canisters were colour positive, i just re checked the name, they were Sensia 100.

But even so you dont think processing them as ISO 100 would make a difference? times of certain delepment would be different wouldn't they?

I'm not an E-6 development expert, but I believe that every E-6 emulsion speed has the same development time for a standard, non-pushed, non-pulled development. Meaning it would be possible to load the processor with mixed loads of film, such as Ektachrome 100 and Velvia and Sensia without regard to brand or ISO, and then develop the entire lot to the "standard" time for standard developing.

What's troubling is the cannister issue; if they cannot even be counted upon to perform a simple housekeeping task like that, I think that says something about the state of organization there. It's one step away from getting somebody else's film back.

Last edited:
I'm not an E-6 development expert, but I believe that each emulsion speed has
the same development time for a standard, non-pushed, non-pulled development. Meaning it would be possible to load the processor with mixed loads of film, such as Ektachrome 100 and Velvia and Sensia without regard to brand or ISO, and then develop the entire lot to the "standard" time for standard developing.

What's troubling is the cannister issue; if they cannot even be counted upon to perform a simple housekeeping task like that, I think that says something about the state of organization there. It's one step away from getting somebody else's film back.

No kidding, thats what i thought, pretty lame of them, well im stumped then! those will be my mystery rolls i suppose! i kept the best care of those ones too, never stored at room temp since i bought them, expecting the best results and got the worst! lighting was perfect that morning too, im just so glad i packed a digital camera too. they turned out much better, its usually the other way around for me. thanks for your help guys.

Excessive contrast in reversal films suggests the film may have been
inadvertently pushed, i.e., higher than normal time/temperature in the
first developer. In other words, the lab goofed.

See the "Push/Pull Processing" section in this Kodak E6 data sheet for
general info on this (though your slide film was not Kodak, the E6 processing
principles are the same):

http://www.kodak.com/global/en/professional/support/techPubs/j83/j83.pdf

Most reactions

Back