Did I Do a Bad Job, or Did I just Get One Of THOSE Seniors? CC please

TylerF

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
So I did a senior shoot for my roommates gfs sister as a favor (free of charge) and her and her sister dont like them at all. I think they are fine (especially for free!) Here are a few from the shoot. CC appreciated

v6ruwl.jpg

23hlt87.jpg

2qc3282.jpg

2lihggm.jpg

The exposures are fine. Nice use of shallow DOF. But the poses and angles etc. aren't exciting. They are not bad but they maybe lacking a wow factor.

The first one she's standing sideways, the second she looks fat, the third her hand looks funny going towards you like that,the last one just isn't a good expression... there's other things too like you should have tried to get her to wear solids not patterns... I think the 2nd had the most potential but the shirt ruined it. I would've also had her comb her hair over more or use a fill flash or something on a couple of them. I also photoshop girls just a little bit skinnier... that usually helps them like it a little bit more...

On the second picture, it looks way too warm. Her skin looks almost yellow.

Thanks guys. What's frustrating is I did tell her what to wear but she didn't listen. And for posing, he sister (my room mates gf) wouldn't stop correcting all my poses. It was annoying. And i did photoshop her a tad skinnier lol. I haven't given them to her and can still edit a bit tho. So I guess I'm asking like are these acceptable for a free, impromptu shoot?

What?! You dont let someone else direct your subject(s) poses...

For free anything is acceptable! They're certainly not horrible, but a girl wants something that's going to make everyone tell her how pretty she is... I don't think any of these shots are going to do that. Doing stuff for friends is harder than strangers cuz they have an easier time telling you they know what will work better for their shoot. That being said some of them you could've just moved a couple feet one way or the other and it would've changed the shot enough I think... Look at picture number 1, take the back ground away and put stripes on her and what do you have?

And for posing, he sister (my room mates gf) wouldn't stop correcting all my poses. It was annoying. So I guess I'm asking like are these acceptable for a free, impromptu shoot?

That's a good time to say, "Why don't we shoot it both ways so we'll have choice?" Then, hopefully, they can see that your pose was the better idea.

Definitely an acceptable set. I really don't like the last pick with the rusty bridge, though. Ugly setting and snapshot pose. In the third one, did you PShop the pearls out? I ask because the shirt looks really smooth compared to how it looks in pic one. Her breasts also look larger in the third pic and women tend to look like they have smaller breasts when they raise their arms. Are they reacting to you "enhancing" her appearance or is it the poses and shooting style they don't like?

Trust me I tried so hard to get her sister to stop. Then she saw a few test shot on my camera when I was showing my room mate where to move the light and told her they were terrible and she shut down. No I did not shop out the pearls or alter breasts. She kept changing outfits and accessories like crazy lol

Sorry dude but I agree. If they were pictures of me I wouldn't be happy. Regardless if someone else was telling the chick what to do and you wouldn't step in then change your camera angle, take some from above or whatever would work with whoever was giving bad pose ideas.You are the photographer, it's your job to know the most flattering angles and to tell the subject what to do :p The one thing I have learned is to pretty much be a dick, if not people will not listen to you! A lot of them are soft as well :) Chalk this one up to experience and lesson learned! Im not trying to offend, just help :)

Well, I guess you've just learned how quickly a photo session can go south if you don't keep a firm grip on it. This will not be the last time the model and her entourage will try and direct the activities. You'll just have to develop some way of keeping things on track. A pre-session meeting to discuss all the facets of the session is almost necessary every time, especially so when you and your model don't work together regularly. Take it as a lesson learned and move on.

As for your comment of 'good enough for free', I have trouble with that one. Regardless of the price agreed upon, the client has a reasonable expectation to receive good work. Had you had a meeting before hand to iron out all that would be delivered in terms of product then you would be covered somewhat. As it stands it might be better to re-schedule this session. Remember, you are only as good as your last job, regardless of the fee.

shootermcgavin said:
The first one she's standing sideways, the second she looks fat, the third her hand looks funny going towards you like that,the last one just isn't a good expression... there's other things too like you should have tried to get her to wear solids not patterns... I think the 2nd had the most potential but the shirt ruined it. I would've also had her comb her hair over more or use a fill flash or something on a couple of them. I also photoshop girls just a little bit skinnier... that usually helps them like it a little bit more...

You always Photoshop them skinnier? It makes me sad for my daughter - not that I didn't grow up with body image issues but today it's a whole different ball game.

Please don't take this the wrong way - I have nothing against photoshop and the magic it can do...but it's kind of sad that photoshopping girls skinnier always makes them like it better!

shootermcgavin said:

You always Photoshop them skinnier? It makes me sad for my daughter - not that I didn't grow up with body image issues but today it's a whole different ball game.

Please don't take this the wrong way - I have nothing against photoshop and the magic it can do...but it's kind of sad that photoshopping girls skinnier always makes them like it better!

Makes me sad too but I always do it as well :p Hopefully I can raise my son to appreciate women as they are. Maybe us women can start as appreciating ourselves as we are, we start all this **** ourselves. If you know one woman that doesn't stare at herself in a mirror and asks if she's looks fat then please let me know... :)

What?! You dont let someone else direct your subject(s) poses...

lmao - Girls, girls girls. Can't live with em..

I'd go to chuck em in the trash and watch their expression... They might be bluffing. Mike is spot on though, the posing is weak at best but that's not your to do there is it. I always smile real big and put the camera down. Until the unwanted assistants figure it out, IF they are just annoying and messing up my shots.

At times, they are a God Send.

I'm sorry, but these two women are going to need to be put down. (As in killin a horse) No other way around it. (lol) *JOKE*

Serious here - it was a JOKE!

MissCream said:
Makes me sad too but I always do it as well :p Hopefully I can raise my son to appreciate women as they are. Maybe us women can start as appreciating ourselves as we are, we start all this **** ourselves. If you know one woman that doesn't stare at herself in a mirror and asks if she's looks fat then please let me know... :)

I don't even know how to do that in Photoshop! Maybe I should learn so I can make myself look skinnier!! LOL!! I was just thinking back on my senior pictures - taken with film by my friends dad and I sent the roll out to get developed. No photoshopping and I was so happy. I'm sure if I had bad acne or was in a unflattering pose I wouldn't have been as unhappy.

If it makes the girls happy then so be it but it's sad that we can't see ourselves the way we are an be happy. Oh well.

Most reactions

Back