Difference between zoom and telephoto?

stsinner

No longer a newbie, moving up!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Okay, I tried to use the search feature, so don't jump me too harsh. I don't feel like looking through every single post that contains the words telephoto and zoom...

Can someone explain to me the difference between a telephoto and a zoom lens? I thought, apparently incorrectly, that you used a telephoto lens to zoom in..

Thanks.

You do. Its basically a preference of how you wish to say it. Most P&S are referred to as zoom and SLR lenses are as telephoto. This is the only difference as far as I know.

Mark

A telephoto lens usually starts at around 70+mm. It can either be a prime lens that has just one focal length like 70mm, 100mm, 300mm etc. A zoom lens just covers a range of focal lengths but can also cover the telephoto range, for instance 100-300mm. But it can go from say, 24-70 and is called a wide to telephoto lens because it covers the wide angle length (beginning at 24mm in this example) and extends through the telephoto range.

Zoom lenses have variable focal lengths ... ie 70-200mm.
A prime (fixed focal length) lens has one size ... ie 50mm

A Telephoto lens is considered greater than 50mm ... ie 100mm or 300mm.
A Wide lens is considered smaller than 50mm ... ie 35mm or 20mm

50mm was the standard lens based on 35mm film format ... so with digital DSLR's it can vary, but usually 30mm ... so just replace 50mm with 30mm in my statements.

A Telephoto zoom lens is a variable focal length lens greater than 50/30mm.

Last edited:
Nope, it actually refers to the ability to adjust the focal length(zoom). A telephoto-zoom, is a zoom with a range in the hundreds i.e. 70-300. A telephoto is just any lens, zoom or prime, with a long focal length. So basically, it is zooms and primes, telephotos and standard or wide. And it is not a foolish question, that is how you learn.
Wow, totally got triple posted.

Wow, totally got triple posted.
Yeah, maybe you folks should start reading what was already posted before responding with the same... :lmao::lol::lmao:

Yeah, maybe you folks should start reading what was already posted before responding with the same... :lmao::lol::lmao:

Look at the post times. They were all typing at the same time.

;)

Look at the post times. They were all typing at the same time.

;)
Look at the smileys at the end of my post. I was typing sarcastically.

Right back at ya -- ;)

:mrgreen:

and here I was thinking that a telephoto lens meant that the focal length (200mm for example) is longer than the actual body of the lens. For example the lens is 150mm in length and the focal length is 200.

A zoom is merely a lens that has variable focal lengths.

and here I was thinking that a telephoto lens meant that the focal length (200mm for example) is longer than the actual body of the lens. For example the lens is 150mm in length and the focal length is 200.

You are right. That is the exact definition of a telephoto lens: the focal length of a telephoto lens is longer that its physical size. All long lenses (longer than a normal lens) are not necessarily telephoto lenses.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back