Diffuser/Bounce Card Debate - Cast Your Vote!

Sn00bies

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
So I've read different posts and opinions elsewhere on what people like to use for bounce cards/diffusers and thought I'd compare 4 that seem to be at the top of the list (or my list at least?). I'm hoping to get people's personal experiences with these items. I've been using 3x5 cards and bounce flash, but I'm looking to get something different for when I can't bounce off anything.

It seems to me that the Lightsphere II might be the most versatile since it (as far as I know) casts light in all directions since the whole unit is transparent to some degree, where as the Better Bounce Card directs the light more in a restricted direction. Then again, maybe not very much light comes out the sides of the lightsphere, but mostly just from the dome, making this point irrelevant? And would the light coming out the sides be useful at all? If anyone has extensive experience with the Lightsphere I'd like to hear your views on it.

The 4 items I've been looking at are as follows:

Simple and cheap, but is it super effective?
Peter Gregg's ABBC ABetterBounceCard for Canon Flash Nikon Flash and Digital Cameras | abbc is abetterbouncecard for canon flash nikon flash and better flash photography

This one seems chinsy and likely would diffuse the light unevenly since the fabric isn't tight and flat?
Soft Flash Diffuser Dome for Nikon SB-900 SB-600 SB-400 - eBay (item 270446593928 end time Aug-30-09 12:48:35 PDT)

I like the look of what I've seen from pictures lit with soft boxes, granted those are off-camera though. This still seems like a good contender however.
Flash Diffuser Softbox for Nikon SB-800 SB-600 SB-80DX - eBay (item 280387137684 end time Sep-18-09 06:23:35 PDT)

More expensive, is it worth it?
Gary Fong Lightsphere-II for Nikon SB-600 SB-800 Flash - eBay (item 350246289146 end time Aug-31-09 17:28:17 PDT)

As an eBay Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.
Peter Gregg's ABBC ABetterBounceCard for Canon Flash Nikon Flash and Digital Cameras | abbc is abetterbouncecard for canon flash nikon flash and better flash photography

Either that, or the many DIY versions of it.

Small softboxes are GREAT for use on a TTL remote cord for close-ups and macro shots where one wants to simulate natural sunlight. For event work (weddings, grin n grins, graduations, anniversary parties,etc) a flash on a bracket with a bounce card is less hassle than a small softbox.

The Fong diffuser is almost useless outdoors for long-throw fill-flash work; it was designed for indoor use.

Go buy a bowl of soup from your local grocery store in the opaque plastic containers. you have a fong dome for $2 and a full meal. Why people pay $40 for those pieces of garbage is beyond me.

Cut an X in the lid slightly larger than the size of your flash head, slip container over hear. Done.
Shampoo bottles work well. I forget what brand mine was when i bought it. I walked around costco with my flash in my hand sizing up bottles for like 20minutes

No "a bit expensive" is never worth it when an identical looking result can be had for $0.50 with a sheet of white inkjet paper and a rubber band.

I have 4 Sto-Fen Omni-Bounce that I use most of the time. They work just fine for me. And the price is right.

In the past I have used napkins, paperplates. Quite a few things can be used. May look a little shade-tree. But it works.

...but I'm looking to get something different for when I can't bounce off anything...

If there is nothing to bounce the light off of, diffusers that spread the light around and behind don't help, period. In these situations, consider only those that through the light forward only. Next consider only those that are very, very large. Size of the diffuse surface is the only thing that controls the softness with most surfaces.

DIY Reflector-Diffuser Cheap and easy to make. Works very well. Allowd you to adjust the top to give more or less of an overhang to bounch off of.

Most reactions

Back