"Digital" CPL filters

Discussion in 'Photography Beginners' Forum' started by crisgil24, Sep 6, 2016.

1. crisgil24

crisgil24 TPF Noob!

Can others edit my Photos:
    Photos NOT OK to edit
    I'm a SLR user and I'm looking into CPL's and I'm wondering if there's any difference between a labeled "Digital CPL" and just a plain non labeled one?

2. tirediron

tirediron Watch the Birdy! Staff Member Supporting Member

Photos OK to edit
    Probably about $10. Seriously, the use of the word "digital" is nothing more than a marketing ploy. If you're buying a filter, especially a CPL, make sure you spend a little extra and get a good one. Lee, Singh-Ray, B+W and Heliopan are the best names. Hoya, Tiffen and Cokin are decent, consumer brands.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  3. fmw

fmw No longer a newbie, moving up!

It took a while to understand what a CPL is. No there is no difference between two circular polarizers because one is labeled digital. There can be a difference in quality, of course, but the term digital wouldn't describe that. It would be a marketing term used to attract digital photographers.

4. petrochemist

petrochemist No longer a newbie, moving up!

Photos OK to edit
    I think I remember reading some marketing bumf on filters that claimed their 'digital' ones had improved coatings.
    Certainly I've never noticed any issues using older CPLs.

5. pgriz

pgriz Been spending a lot of time on here!

Photos OK to edit
    You have to pay for the "digital" one with digital currency.

Joking aside, there was a difference between polarizing filters in that some were linearly polarized, and some were circularly polarized. The linearly-polarized ones didn't work well with auto-focus systems. As far as I know, pretty much all polarized filters are now of the circularly-polarized variety.

As for marketing terms, I'm waiting for them to say they are gluten-free, zero fat, and carb-free. Heck, while we're at it, how about "assembled by organically-fed workers"?

• Like Like x 1
  6. KmH

KmH Helping photographers learn to fish Supporting Member

Photos OK to edit
    SLR's that don't have auto focus (AF) or through-the-lens (TTL) metering can use a single glass element linear polarizing filter.

SLR's & DSLRs that do have auto focus and/or through-the-lens metering require a circular polarizing filter.

A CPL has a single glass element linear polarizing filter, and a 2nd, adjustable glass element that in effect blocks linearly polarized light so the AF and TTL systems in the cameras can function properly.

So you can use a linear polarizing filter on a DSLR camera as long as you don't care that you have to manual focus and meter the light .

Last edited: Sep 6, 2016
    • Informative Informative x 1
    • Useful Useful x 1
  7. Solarflare

Solarflare No longer a newbie, moving up!

Glas is never ever digital, but yes you need circular polarization filters.

8. TCampbell

TCampbell Been spending a lot of time on here!

Photos OK to edit
    CPL or referring to it as a "digital" polarizer may be referring to the auto-focus and metering issue.

With a manually focused and metered camera, you can use a "linear polarizer" (sometimes called a "top polarizer").

With a camera that uses phase-detect auto-focus and has built-in metering, a standard linear polarizer can make it extremely difficult for the focus or metering to work correctly.

These cameras require something called a "Circular polarizer" (CPL). The circular polarizer is really just a dual layer filter... one layer has the standard linear polarizer just like any other linear polarizer, but it adds a second layer called a quarter-wave plate which alters the polarity of the lightwaves into a circular pattern (hence the name "circular polarizer"). This added layer (the quarter-wave plate) allows the auto-focus and metering to function as desired.

Other than making sure you actually do have a circular polarizer, it's nice if it has anti-reflective coatings to reduce ghosting (reflections).

• Informative Informative x 1
  9. table1349

table1349 Been spending a lot of time on here!

The only thing that I have ever heard that makes a "Digital" CPL different from a CPL is that the "Digital" Model does not have a UV haze layer in the coatings. Not sure if it true and frankly it doesn't really matter.

10. unpopular

unpopular Been spending a lot of time on here!

My digital CPL had this cool blue-yellow color shift as you rotated it! Added that highly sought after unpredictable pizzaz to my photography.

11. TCampbell

TCampbell Been spending a lot of time on here!

Photos OK to edit
    Any CPL should create a gold/violet color shift if you look through it "backwards". There is actually a real front vs. back on these filters and what happens to the light is different depending on which direction it passes through.

12. unpopular

unpopular Been spending a lot of time on here!

No way! So they installed the filter incorrectly at the factory?!