Digital Pinhole

vtf

No longer a newbie, moving up!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Just playing with my 70d and pinhole. This is an old wooden bridge they have allowed to deteriorate. There is no lens used, I have simply drilled a small hole in the body cap for the pinhole. Pinhole photography is more an artistic challenge for oneself, not easy to do especially the shoebox method using light sensitive photo paper. (results on my flickr).
_MG_9535 by Fallis Photography Design, on Flickr

Usually pinhole images are sharper than this. Probably too large of a hole.

You can buy a pinhole cap that is cut with a precision lazer for like $20. I have personally thought about getting into pinhole photography for a while.

i dont get it.

i dont get it.

Me either. I guess it's a way to kill some time in photography without actually making a good photograph.

Now now... :)

It's no secret that I love me a pinhole camera. Well, and I for one use the old box and photo paper method, of course! But I agree that this isn't a great example of what a pinhole image can be like. As suggested, the pinhole was either too big or not clean. The ideal pinhole size depends on the length between the hole and the film/sensor. It seems like it is just a simple matter of making a hole, and you CAN get images that way, but to get the best images possible, there is a lot more thought that goes into the process.

You want to see what a pinhole can do? This guy is amazing: https://www.flickr.com/photos/tobchasinglight/ (I think the color shots aren't pinholes - or mostly aren't - but the black and whites on that first page are almost all pinhole.)

The actual size of the drilled hole was 1/4 inch with a blackened piece of tin foil over the hole. I proceeded to use a needle to create a smaller hole. I am refining it as I go. I know that it can get sharper the more I work with it. I've only done this over a course of a couple of weeks.
I have done the photo paper shoe box route, the scanned images are on my flickr.
It originally was a project for a class but I enjoyed it (just don't have access to printing lab during the summer) to the point I'm converting my 350xt to it.
I do it because it's a challenge that others can't do or don't want to. It's a hobby.
Ha! I must be going nuts, didn't realize it wasn't black and white. oops.

Last edited:
Speaking of pinhole cameras, I haven't heard from Gavjenks lately. I wonder what he's up to?

I actually like it very retro feel... I always wanted to try pinhole maybe I'll look into it again

maybe try givng it a retro filter in PS or lr if you have

just my artistic opinion.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back