MVPernula

TPF Supporters
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
Heya!

My sensor is pretty.. Dirty I'd say.
Bought a D7100 quite recently, a used one. So I suppose things like this is pretty normal, all things get dusty after a while.

I want to go for long exposure shots, but there are 15+ black dots all over the place so that's a no go for now. Looked up some cleaning methods;
  • NO COMPRESSED AIR
  • Use proper cleaning equipment
But that's of course if I decide to do it myself.
Is it worth "risking" it? Or should I send it in for cleaning?
I'm confident that, if doing it yourself is a thing, that I can do it. Have steady hands.

What do you think?

It's simple . . . top shelf of the dishwasher - remember to remove the battery. :wink-new:

There are kits available for about $100. Make sure you get one sized for your sensor (it's a plastic paddle with a lint-free cloth wipe.) Some have lighted magnifiers which makes it better to see what you're doing. I got the Photographic Solutions kit, which is available from a number of places. There are a few videos around on how to clean the sensor (actually a filter in front of the sensor).

Last edited:
First, try the in-camera sensor cleaner. It'll be in the menus.
If that fails, get a Giottos Rocket Blower.
If that fails, use an Arctic Butterfly.
If that fails, THEN go to a wet cleaning method.

Do not be scared of cleaning it yourself. You really really really really really really have to totally screw it up to do any damage.

If you can make microwave popcorn, you can clean your own sensor.

With the proper inexpensive cleaning supplies and being very careful you can clean the sensor in your DSLR. It's not hard, just take your time and be careful.

EXACTLY THAT!
If you still fail you can have it professionally cleaned afterwards.

Do not be scared of cleaning it yourself. You really really really really really really have to totally screw it up to do any damage.

Alright, I'll try not to be a wanker in that case and just do it myself!

With the proper inexpensive cleaning supplies and being very careful you can clean the sensor in your DSLR. It's not hard, just take your time and be careful.
Sounds easy enough, I have all the time in the world.

EXACTLY THAT!

My nickname is "The Popcorn King" so I bet I can master this too :D

Also, I forgot to mention that I did use the in-camera sensor cleaner.
I'm afraid it didn't help at all.

I've got the Altura sensor cleaning kit (they are specific to the size of your sensor). Has worked for me so far...

Just so you know, you will not be cleaning the actual sensor itself, but the filter in front of the sensor, (but still be careful). Don't clean it in a dusty environment (obviously) ... if you want to be anal, (and who among us doesn't want to be anal ...?), about your first time cleaning the sensor, generally the bathroom is the most dust-free room in one's house.

If you put your camera into manual cleaning mode so that it swings the reflex mirror out of the way and opens the shutter, the surface that you see isn't really the sensor... it's a filter in front of the sensor. That filter is glass (with coatings). It's hard to scratch glass.

So as long as you don't plan to use sandpaper to clean the sensor.... you shouldn't fear damaging it.

Just be gentle and follow the directions. You can find lots of tutorial videos for these products.

" That filter is glass (with coatings)." The key word is "coatings". That you can damage if you use 80-grit sandpaper and a hammerdrill.

Fify. :345:

It's simple . . . top shelf of the dishwasher - remember to remove the battery. :wink-new:

There are kits available for about $100. Make sure you get one sized for your sensor (it's a plastic paddle with a lint-free cloth wipe.) Some have lighted magnifiers which makes it better to see what you're doing. I got the Photographic Solutions kit, which is available from a number of places. There are a few videos around on how to clean the sensor (actually a filter in front of the sensor).

EXACTLY THAT!

I've got the Altura sensor cleaning kit (they are specific to the size of your sensor). Has worked for me so far...

Just so you know, you will not be cleaning the actual sensor itself, but the filter in front of the sensor, (but still be careful). Don't clean it in a dusty environment (obviously) ... if you want to be anal, (and who among us doesn't want to be anal ...?), about your first time cleaning the sensor, generally the bathroom is the most dust-free room in one's house.

If you put your camera into manual cleaning mode so that it swings the reflex mirror out of the way and opens the shutter, the surface that you see isn't really the sensor... it's a filter in front of the sensor. That filter is glass (with coatings). It's hard to scratch glass.

So as long as you don't plan to use sandpaper to clean the sensor.... you shouldn't fear damaging it.

Just be gentle and follow the directions. You can find lots of tutorial videos for these products.

yes, it's easy to do a sensor 'wet' cleaning with eclipse solution and pec pads
www.flickr.com/photos/mmirrorless

" That filter is glass (with coatings)." The key word is "coatings". That you can damage if you're not careful.

And I'm back. After some blowing with the Giotto rocket I realize that nothing has changed.
Looking more into it I think.. Could it be the mirror messing with my photos or both?

I could see 2 small dusty things on the sensor, no amount of blowing removed these. lol blowing
But there are some clear.. Stuff on the mirror, which looks frightingly similar to tiny dents.
Please tell me I'm wrong;
http://i.imgur.com/6u8wxQC.jpg
http://i.imgur.com/4mLW5cx.jpg

Anyhow, as far as I get it the second step now would be wet cleaning?
No clue what the guy before me did with this camera, there's dust all over my images.

The mirror swings out of the way before the shutter opens, so anything on the mirror will not show up in the photos. The sensor probably needs a wet cleaning (see my original post).

Post a photo, preferably clear blue sky.

Most reactions

Back