Dirty slides

SteveD

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Website
www.pbase.com
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Whats the best way to clean color slides? Been scanning some of my old stuff but just compressed air aint cutting it.

original.jpg

Steve

A compressed air spray from The Source gets rid of dust.

skieur

I found the best way was to use equipment that did it. I have a veeeeeeeeeeeery old Nikon CoolScan.... 4000ED I think it was. It did a fricken AMAZING job with negatives. Ignored dust, scratches, you name it.

Now that was like a $1000 scanner back in the day, but we're literally talking about 8 years ago now... I have to believe you can get that scanner (or better) for chump change nowadays.

They just seem to have some kind of crud on them. Canned air does not blow it off. My Nikon Coolscan V does a good job eliminating most of it but not all. I do have an E6 developing kit. Would soaking them in the stabilizing solution and then rinsing work?
Steve

Freestyle sells several film cleaning solutions

Back in the college darkroom we had a bottle of "film cleaner" - just took an old microfiber cloth to the bottle and then rubbed the cloth over the film - that'll probably do the trick for you. I believe Freestyle sells that stuff.

Thanks everyone! Will try to find some freestyle cleaner when I go to the states. Thanks again!

original.jpg

Most reactions

New Topics

Back