DIY Ring-Flash with build imgs and sample shots...

lextalionis

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Website
www.motleypixel.com
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Well, I came across this link in the Lighting forum: http://www.flickr.com/photos/8472611@N04/sets/72157603816045949/ So I decided to make my own. I didn't follow his instructions to the "T" but the result is just about the same. Diagram and BOM here: http://www.flickr.com/photos/8472611@N04/2232236900/sizes/o/in/set-72157603816045949/

Sorry about the volume of images, but it should help explain the "cause and effect".

diy_ringflash_01.jpg

diy_ringflash_02.jpg

diy_ringflash_03.jpg

diy_ringflash_04.jpg

diy_ringflash_05.jpg

diy_ringflash_06.jpg

diy_ringflash_07.jpg

All the samples below were taken with the ring flash and it was my first time using the ring-flash.

ring_flash_test_01.jpg

ring_flash_test_02.jpg

ring_flash_test_03.jpg

ring_flash_test_04.jpg

ring_flash_test_05.jpg

ring_flash_test_06.jpg

Conclusion:
Well, it's not for every situation, but it's certainly a good piece of equipment to have in your lighting arsenal. With this ring flash I found that I can certainly shoot f/10+ at 1/200th+ most of the time...ambient BG exposure is somewhat difficult.

-Roy

Looks like you did a nice job on it. The results are great, and it doesn't look like a duct tape contraption.

that thing looks legit! Great shots too

Nice! – and nice pics!

I'd try blocking some of the light – at the bottom of the ring, maybe
extending up to one side, to about 3 or 6 o'clock.
The less even lighting may make some of the details 'jump out'
more.

Nice! – and nice pics!

I'd try blocking some of the light – at the bottom of the ring, maybe
extending up to one side, to about 3 or 6 o'clock.
The less even lighting may make some of the details 'jump out'
more.

Yep, my exact thoughts too. I can't move the flash position, but I intend to layer an additional piece of diffuser material near the bottom. It does produce flatter exposures, but that's a ring light for ya...just good to have in your lighting stuff.

Thanks all for the comments.

Roy

[lextalionis]
Yep, my exact thoughts too. I can't move the flash position,
but I intend to layer an additional piece of diffuser material
near the bottom. It does produce flatter exposures, but that's
a ring light for ya...just good to have in your lighting stuff.
I'd also try completely blocking some of the light with a piece of
black paper.
Yes, that's a ring light, but it can be improved for some uses.
(Just like eliminating light in a light box.)

diy_ringflash_07.jpg

Good job! But how did you get those images with the lens cap on? OK, sorry for the lame joke - you still did a good job tho!

"Damn, you remind me of me!"
- John Wyane
(True Grit)

Funny, yea too bad my prop photographer didn't mention to me that my lens cap was on. Thanks all for the comments.

-Roy

Thank YOU for sharing!

I'd like to see a DYI on a smaller one too some day. The larger the ring the flatter the lighting - as in your dragonfly, or the further the subject distance needs to be. Compensation with available light of course helps but I like working about 15cm to 30cm (about one foot or less) away in most cases.

What were your distances when you shot those? It's in the file header of the image right?

I used my Canon 100mm f/2.8 Macro lens and most shots were a little less than 1:1 mag so about one foot or a little more...any closer and the light shade gets in the way. The only exception was the dragonfly...that was near 1:1.

-Roy

Most reactions

Back