Do any of you have tips for shooting at car shows?

TheKenTurner

No longer a newbie, moving up!
Reaction score
Website
www.flickr.com
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
Hey guys! I haven't really posted on here lately, but I was wondering if any of you had tips for shooting at indoor car shows... Are there any good angles I do that not very many people know about? Do you know and good apertures/shutter speeds? Should I bring my tripod?

I have a T3i, 17-85 f/4-5.6, and a 50mm f/1.8. This is my first car show, but I've taken pictures if cars before then. The show is in a couple hours, and I will be there for about 4 hours. I will have my phone on me, and can check this thread throughout the show.

Sorry if this post looks ugly, I'm writing it on my phone :/

Take your tripod. Cars are generally good candidates for HDR, since they generally have good dynamic range in good light. My best advice would be just to be unique with your images. There are millions of bland, unoriginal car shots out there. Don't add yours to the pile...Good luck!

Depends. Is this going to be extremely crowded?

If yes, then the conditions may be as follow:
- Super crowded. You can hardly get to the car, especially the popular ones. By the time you get to the front, the car is right in your face, so you need a wide angle lens to capture the whole car.
- Bad lighting can mean you need fast lens with high ISO capability.
- Cars on turn tables mean you cannot depend on long shutter speed to get the right exposure.
- Forget about tripods.

If no, the the conditions will be much friendlier. Still bring a wide angle lens if you have. Try not to take the shot from standing position, meaning the boring eye-level shots. Lower yourself a bit to get a more "personal" angle of the car. I personally don't like the "dog-eye view", which is when you get so low that it's pointless.

I am not a fan of using flash on cars because cars are usually reflective. It doesn't catch light like a non-reflective object will. It may actually darken the car more while bounding the flash hot spots right back at you.

If there will be some hot "booth professionals", well, a good portrait lens can be nice to have.

All in all, if it's going to be indoor, fast lens is a must. Otherwise you will just end up with blurry pics of photos with harsh flash.

molested_cow said:
Depends. Is this going to be extremely crowded?

If yes, then the conditions may be as follow:
- Super crowded. You can hardly get to the car, especially the popular ones. By the time you get to the front, the car is right in your face, so you need a wide angle lens to capture the whole car.
- Bad lighting can mean you need fast lens with high ISO capability.
- Cars on turn tables mean you cannot depend on long shutter speed to get the right exposure.
- Forget about tripods.

If no, the the conditions will be much friendlier. Still bring a wide angle lens if you have. Try not to take the shot from standing position, meaning the boring eye-level shots. Lower yourself a bit to get a more "personal" angle of the car. I personally don't like the "dog-eye view", which is when you get so low that it's pointless.

Thank you :) I have a friend that went yesterday... He said the show itself was not too crowded, but one small room has all the lamborghinis, lotuses, and a Ferrari. Do you think a flash will work with a matte black car? I know theres one or two, but I only have the built in flash on my camera. Thanks for your help :)

jamesbjenkins said:
Take your tripod. Cars are generally good candidates for HDR, since they generally have good dynamic range in good light. My best advice would be just to be unique with your images. There are millions of bland, unoriginal car shots out there. Don't add yours to the pile...Good luck!

Thank you :) I have not done any HDR photography before, but I might as well try it since I have magic lantern on my camera. do you know if I should shoot RAW or Jpeg for HDR? My guess would be RAW, but if I can save space with jpeg, that would be great too!

Always shoot with RAW if the lighting condition is going to be challenging, HDR or not.

Flash may work with matte black cars. However matte black cars are not 100% matte. They are really semi-gloss. I'd try one with and one without to see how it turns out.

molested_cow said:
Always shoot with RAW if the lighting condition is going to be challenging, HDR or not.

Flash may work with matte black cars. However matte black cars are not 100% matte. They are really semi-gloss. I'd try one with and one without to see how it turns out.

Thanks :) do you think I should bother bringing my 50mm, or just bring my 17-85?

The venue may not let you in with a tripod. A tripod can be a trip hazard when other people are milling about.

A monpod might be acceptable though.

shoot from a low angle. also try to exaggerate depth by shooting 3/4 angle to the car.

everything is super shiny and highly reflective ... avoid flash, use a circular polarizer, pay attention to your angles (which will need to be determined when you get there) Nobody wants to see a dozen people reflected in a chrome wheel. :p

Kinda agree. If the general public is around I keep the lens caps on. Even when places like this are empty it can still be hard to get a decent shot. I tend to get down low and shoot up at the car. This helps get rid of allot of background distractions. I have enough troubles getting what I want with a 35 mm.

Or take photos of poeple in the show.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back