What's new

Do i have what it takes

You'll improve with practice and better equipment.
<< clears throat >>

You'll improve with practice.
Come on, señor K. The OP is shooting with a smartphone. I agree that practice is key, but there's only so much progress that one can make with a phone :)

Agreed.

Considering that we're talking about a phone here, and not a 'real' camera (that is, a camera that you can't also order a pizza on)

I can't wait until Canon releases a camera that will allow me to order Chinese while shooting. :biggrin:

Given i'm only able to use a phone then, and assumming yall can look past that with your fancy cameras that cost more than a car.
I already starve 2days a fortnight because i can't afford pasta, saving for equipment is way out of the question.
Does that mean i should just close this account? I'd rather keep doing something i enjoy.
My phone might not be fantastic, but i still have almost all the standard settings with manual control of them apart from manual focus.
These pics were picked because they show a range of things, i know i'm partial to macro because i have the patience for it, the others i know aiin't so good.
Where should i practise more?
I have some background reading but could do with specific things to look for in practise. Books just don't sink any thing in for me.

Should i look into lighting, exposure, framing what? Give me a stepping stone.

Like i said i know i can't see the pictures but i honestly thought i was starting to see something in the pictures i have.

Someone will shoot me for saying this I'm sure, but.

RELAX.

You're on a photo forum. With a smartphone. People ARE going to suggest that you upgrade equipment, especially if they feel you have an eye and the potential to do more. It's not an insult to your bank account or your personal being.

If you don't feel like getting a camera, then don't, but don't get your panties in a bunch when someone politely suggests that you would do better with a DSLR :P :lol: They didn't even say, "DON'T POST HERE EVER!" I believe the statement was, "Keep posting your phone pics and practicing with that until you can afford to buy a camera". Or something along those lines.

Don't be so defensive. You won't last here long if you are. Chillax. Don't stress. It's not good for your health :sexywink: :hug::
 
There is a cell photo camera thread... where most cellphone images are posted.... I might suggest that. People are more lenient there... hardly any C&C at all....
 
Not sure on spec of the exposure i can choose, i mainly use camera fv5, pro hdr, and camera 360. With editting in photo editor or pixlr. It's an android. The phone is the sensation xe, 8mp with mods for lossless jpeg and higher res than stock.

Okay if the geo dome has potential, i live near that, so how could i improve that? Try the golden hours?
I have to get nearly under it to keep out the ugly buildings around it out of the shot...
 
There is a cell photo camera thread... where most cellphone images are posted.... I might suggest that. People are more lenient there... hardly any C&C at all....
It says 'General Gallery' at the top of the page for me...

Anyway, I don't think the OP really got any overly harsh C&C.
 
Okay if the geo dome has potential, i live near that, so how could i improve that? Try the golden hours?
I have to get nearly under it to keep out the ugly buildings around it out of the shot...

Yes, try that. I'm not sure what direction you were facing when you took that, but, for example - where would the Sun be if you had taken that near Sunset? You can't really control where the light is coming from in that situation, but you can control where you take the photo from. Try to find an angle that makes the light you have work.

edit
Try different lighting conditions, different times of the day - figure out what works from the places you can shoot from keeping unwanted buildings out of the frame...
 
I'm not trying to be defensive, i'm just clarifying my position on money.
I know a better camera Might give me better pics but until i learn to take better pics it would be wasted anyway.
Maybe i'm a little delusional or just hopeful that i can learn to take good pics with a phone but am still going to learn as much as possible to get the best that i can out of it.

From straight ahead In that pic the sun would be about 260°
 
I am so amazed that you took these shots with a phone, the details are very good and the pictures are sharp, you may not have as much of an eye as you want to, but man you have a steady hand, and this is a big plus.
Your compositions need to be worked out a bit, but you sure have something worth going further.
I am not a pro but I wanted to share my point of view!
 
I know a better camera Might give me better pics but until i learn to take better pics it would be wasted anyway.
Maybe i'm a little delusional or just hopeful that i can learn to take good pics with a phone but am still going to learn as much as possible to get the best that i can out of it.

Well, it's like this - Yes, you can learn to take good pics with your phone (you'll have some limitations though, limitations that most here would consider a pretty big deal) ... also, a better camera (which will give you more control over the end result) will be easier to learn on.

You can do it with minimal gear (a phone), but it will be harder.

So, while you may not see the need to invest in a camera until you know what you're doing, investing in a camera will help you to know what you're doing. I hope that makes sense...

edit
I mean, it doesn't even have to be a "good" camera, like a DSLR or something. Pretty much any Point & Shoot is going to give you options that you just don't have on your phone.
(Not to mention that the sensor will be gigantic compared to what's in your phone...)
 
Last edited:
I hope you stick around long enough to qualify for a pixmedic donation (if he does more...) If you keep practicing and improving, I think having a DSLR would help you by leaps and bounds.
 
You're possibly a candidate for the iPhone 5....or one of those spiffy Samsung Galaxy phones...I dunno...a guy can shoot some decent pics with a smart phone.
 
Come on, señor K. The OP is shooting with a smartphone. I agree that practice is key, but there's only so much progress that one can make with a phone :)
You are preaching to the choir, but the guy only had a couple of posts..... Although I agree, I was also attempting to be accommodating rather than stuffing his gullet with a handful of sh!t that's not necessary at the moment.
 
Don't listen to these people....

Keep on shooting and have fun. Practice and work within the limits of your camera/smart phone and perhaps you'll define what photography means to you.. A lot of people define their photography by "sharpness" and "image quality"... nothing wrong with that but it doesn't have define your photography. Of course, a smartphone doesn't offer as much capability.. but hey.. work with what you have.


I disagree that the strongest of the bunch is the first bug macro one. I think the strongest photo of the bunch is the B&W portrait....


There are many examples of art photography that has made it into galleries of art museums.... ones created with lesser cameras than your smartphone. Case in point

Miroslav Tichý - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

and any number of early and modern pin-hole photographers.
 
Okay if the geo dome has potential, i live near that, so how could i improve that? Try the golden hours?
I have to get nearly under it to keep out the ugly buildings around it out of the shot...
I fully understand the equipment & money issue.

Your perspective is fine; I really want to see more of the right diagonal. I'd shift slightly to the right so the two diagonals are more symmetrical. Although getting you should avoid centering everything, I think it's OK here because the frame is filled.

I'd like to see the purple flowers without the vignetting. I like the complimentary colors, and the diagonal composition. I also like it in the dragon fly because of the diagonal, though it blends in with the stem too much. There's probably not much you can do about that, thought you might be able to darken the stem and background a little with an editor to help the DF stand out.

I like the first portrait, but his hat, hair and shirt just melt into the black background, at least on my screen. A little more light (even a desk lamp) might have helped there.

Please note: I am not a pro, and I am still learning.
 
Don't know what you mean by medipix donation.

I should have the opportunity a few times this year to borrow a dslr, which may help. But it's not guaranteed or likely to be for long.

One of my problems, imo, is not knowing what makes a picture good, i have started reading up on fibanacci, but haven't put it much to practise yet. I just don't see it. I'm trying to stick to the thirds rule when i can.
But when do you use spirals, when grids, when diamonds...does this make that much difference?
I know that knowledge may come in the future.

I will be borrowing an SAD Light too, so i can play with lights more, and try white boxing and stuff.
Heres one i did like from a piece of jewellery i made...with natural light, and an attempt on playing on the fibonacci spiral.
 

Attachments

  • $Bracelet new fib.webp
    $Bracelet new fib.webp
    301.7 KB · Views: 117
With the dome, i'll take a few hundred this week share the top ten or something then see what you guys think.
 

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Log in

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back
Top Bottom