Do I need a new camera body?

Q4kntmare

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Photography has been a great hobby of mine for many years now, and I have owned my camera body for some time. I am unsure if I should start saving and what kind of improvements I can expect out of a new body. I have been out of the game for a longtime, so be gentile on me!

Here is my current setup... (from my memory of course)

Nikon D-80
Nikon 18 - 135mm
Nikon 70-300 w/ VR
Tamron 90mm Macro Lense
Nikon SB700 Flash
Velbon CF Tripod

Thanks for the insight.

I have used the 18-135, I own the 70-300 VR, and I own the Tamron 90 AF-SP Macro. The 70-300VR and the Tammy are GOOD lenses, well worth migrating forward. What you will get, nowadays with any current Nikon APS-C body, is a MUCH higher-resolution d-slr, with MUCH cleaner High-ISO performance, wider dynamic range, and deeper, richer color.

Since the D80 was current, NIkon's cameras have moved to the absolute TOP of the APS-C sensor performance heap, and AF systems have become better, and more-capable. I would say the D7100 is the D80 replacement, only three full generations newer, and better. SInce the D80 was current, the "pliability", the "workability", the "quality" of the files has been boosted due to both in-camera image processing software and hardware, and new-generation sensors Nikon is using. All those things have together, increased image quiality, especially with the newer software, like Lightroom 5, for example.

I'm not knocking anything, but all I'm saying is that since the D80 was current, there has been a **major** increase in the "extended range capabilities" of the Nikon cameras. I'm not talking about impossible-to-see, minor improvements...I'm talking Pentium IV computers and Windows95 versus modern 4- and 8-core processors and Windows 8...

Things have changed, a LOT, at the high-end enthusiast's camera.....D80, D90,D7000,D7100...you're in for a SHOCK. By one measure, moving to a D7100 moves you "four generations" forward, by another measure it's "three generations". I cannot tell you if you do need a new camera body, or not. DOn;t know you, don;t know what you shoot, or how, or how much. Just saying, there's a new sheriff in town....

I have used the 18-135, I own the 70-300 VR, and I own the Tamron 90 AF-SP Macro. The 70-300VR and the Tammy are GOOD lenses, well worth migrating forward. What you will get, nowadays with any current Nikon APS-C body, is a MUCH higher-resolution d-slr, with MUCH cleaner High-ISO performance, wider dynamic range, and deeper, richer color.

Since the D80 was current, NIkon's cameras have moved to the absolute TOP of the APS-C sensor performance heap, and AF systems have become better, and more-capable. I would say the D7100 is the D80 replacement, only three full generations newer, and better. SInce the D80 was current, the "pliability", the "workability", the "quality" of the files has been boosted due to both in-camera image processing software and hardware, and new-generation sensors Nikon is using. All those things have together, increased image quiality, especially with the newer software, like Lightroom 5, for example.

I'm not knocking anything, but all I'm saying is that since the D80 was current, there has been a **major** increase in the "extended range capabilities" of the Nikon cameras. I'm not talking about impossible-to-see, minor improvements...I'm talking Pentium IV computers and Windows95 versus modern 4- and 8-core processors and Windows 8...

Things have changed, a LOT, at the high-end enthusiast's camera.....D80, D90,D7000,D7100...you're in for a SHOCK. By one measure, moving to a D7100 moves you "four generations" forward, by another measure it's "three generations". I cannot tell you if you do need a new camera body, or not. DOn;t know you, don;t know what you shoot, or how, or how much. Just saying, there's a new sheriff in town....

Sounds like I need to start saving. If I need to ditch my 18-135, what would you recommend moving into? Is my old camera/lens a scrap of metal at this point or does it hold any value?

Lens holds value more than an old body, not familiar with that piece of glass. I would work on things one at a time unless you see a great body+lens combo

Photography has been a great hobby of mine for many years now, and I have owned my camera body for some time. I am unsure if I should start saving and what kind of improvements I can expect out of a new body. I have been out of the game for a longtime, so be gentile on me!

Nikon D-80
Nikon 18 - 135mm
Nikon 70-300 w/ VR
Tamron 90mm Macro Lense
Nikon SB700 Flash
Velbon CF Tripod

Thanks for the insight.

What exactly is it about your current gear that you feel limits you, in what you want to photograph? Unless you can answer that question there is no point in upgrading. Photography is not about gear its about execution, you pick the gear that is needed to epicure the image you have envisioned. If your current gear gives you the images you had I'm mind when you took it then there is no need for new gear.

If you do feel the need to upgrade I can absolutely recommend the D7100. Just shipped mine off yesterday, and I already miss it :(

Is my old camera/lens a scrap of metal at this point or does it hold any value?

It is not scrap. Check out the going prices of used D80s to see if it worth selling. If you would rather, just give it to somebody deserving.

Nikon D-80
Nikon 18 - 135mm
Nikon 70-300 w/ VR
Tamron 90mm Macro Lense
Nikon SB700 Flash
Velbon CF Tripod

Thanks for the insight.

What exactly is it about your current gear that you feel limits you, in what you want to photograph? Unless you can answer that question there is no point in upgrading. Photography is not about gear its about execution, you pick the gear that is needed to epicure the image you have envisioned. If your current gear gives you the images you had I'm mind when you took it then there is no need for new gear.

It has poor low light capabilities and I feel like I cannot capture as clear of pictures are some I have seen on this site. I've used the camera for over 7 years now.

It has poor low light capabilities and I feel like I cannot capture as clear of pictures are some I have seen on this site. I've used the camera for over 7 years now.

A newer camera body would definitely help with low light. But it may not help help with clear photos. That may be cause by technique or your lenses.

Get the D7100, not only its an awesome camera but its obvious you are ready for a change and want to get a new camera and there is nothing wrong with it!!!
You will love it, I know I love mine :heart:

You will see a notisable improvement in low light but as mentioned by others sharpness is more a matter of lenses and skill.
If you are willing to consider buying a used lens then my advise get the Nikon 24-85mm 3.5-4.5 VR, its a great lens, I had it for over a year and loved it, you can get it for around 300$ used.
Another good lens is Nikon 16-85mm VR and even the kit lenses 18-105mm VR and 18-140mm VR are good sharp lenses that are not too expensive.

A newer camera body would definitely help with low light. But it may not help help with clear photos. That may be cause by technique or your lenses.

Clear might be the wrong descriptor. My pictures aren't as vivid as what I have seen.

Clear might be the wrong descriptor. My pictures aren't as vivid as what I have seen.

Well a lot of choices out there depending on your budget. I use a D5100 myself, I really like the image quality and really if your on a budget it's got some of the best lowlight abilities around for anything in it's price range. D7000/7100 will give you some more advanced features, but of course they will also be a little more expensive. The D5200 is also a good solid choice, it will have the higher MP sensor and again very good low light capabilities for a crop sensor camera. The biggest differences between the 5x and the 7x series is that the 5x series doesn't have a built in autofocus motor, so if some of your lenses are the older style without the built in motor then most likely a D7000 or D7100 will be your best bet so you won't have to replace any of your lenses.

Most reactions

Back