Do you ask for a wedding's color scheme in advance?

amolitor

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I am on a bit of a "color theory comma applications of" kick, so here's a question for Wedding Photographers (mainly):

Do you ask for the wedding's color scheme, if any, in advance? Bridesmaid's dresses, cummerbund/tie/pocketsilk, flowers, etc. If so, what do you do with that information in your prep work?

I can think of some useful things one could do with a swatch of the bridesmaid's dress fabric, for instance, but I am curious as to whether anyone else does and whether it's actually all that useful.

I'm not a wedding photographer, but I don't see how having that information would be unhelpful. I'm not sure how I would use it, but it couldn't hurt to know it...

The wife does, just so she can think up some ideas for detail shots, props, and other color coordinating type shots.
We don't dress based on wedding party colors though.
Its marginally useful, IF you can dig up some matching props for detail shots, and IF the colors they use are nice.
Creating shots to match wedding party colors isn't something we really stress over much though. If we can come up with something, great. If not, nobody has ever asked us for/about detail shots for matching the party colors.

No I don't generally ask that question, but they usually end up telling me at some point. It really doesn't matter in how I shoot. I would rather know the bride and grooms overall vision of what they want their wedding to feel like.

I am on a bit of a "color theory comma applications of" kick, so here's a question for Wedding Photographers (mainly):

Do you ask for the wedding's color scheme, if any, in advance? Bridesmaid's dresses, cummerbund/tie/pocketsilk, flowers, etc. If so, what do you do with that information in your prep work?

I can think of some useful things one could do with a swatch of the bridesmaid's dress fabric, for instance, but I am curious as to whether anyone else does and whether it's actually all that useful.

I guess is a good thing I'm not a wedding photographer either - and looking like I do I can only imagine that if I ask someone for a swatch of fabric off of their dress it's going to come of as really, really creepy.. lol

I'm pretty sure that there are brides that actually have a pocketful of swatches to hand out to various vendors, actually. "The flowers must match THIS" etc.

It's been a very long time since I shot a wedding and it will be a much longer time before I ever do another one, but I used to talk with the bride and groom about what they were going to wear. I would get down on my knees and beg them to not dress the men in black. If that didn't work I would sometimes threaten not to take the job if the men wore black. If that didn't work I told them that men wearing black required an extra $500.00 surcharge.

Joe

With some swatches in hand these are the things that occurred to me:

- select/acquire props, possibly even just pieces of fabric to throw over things. A handkerchief-sized square could work as a background accent piece.
- scout location for better/worse backgrounds
- scout alternate locations for some shots, if that's a possibility
- select gels for lights, a white background can become a co-ordinating one with a small gelled remote light etc

And then in post having the physical swatches would help you nail the colors properly.

- select/acquire props, possibly even just pieces of fabric to throw over things. A handkerchief-sized square could work as a background accent piece.
- select gels for lights, a white background can become a co-ordinating one with a small gelled remote light etc

And then in post having the physical swatches would help you nail the colors properly.
I barely have time to go pee or eat during the course of the day let alone set out props. You don't get a lot of time with the bride and groom for formals, so I prefer to get the shots I need and get moving to the reception.

I barely have time to go pee or eat during the course of the day let alone set out props. You don't get a lot of time with the bride and groom for formals, so I prefer to get the shots I need and get moving to the reception.

with a little advanced planning, and a little help from an assistant or second shooter, it really is not all that time consuming.
plus, who says props are strictly relegated to the formals? no reason why some interesting posed shots cant be taken at a reception.
we arent talking about staging whole sets here, just some items that coordinate with the wedding parties colors.

with a little advanced planning, and a little help from an assistant or second shooter, it really is not all that time consuming.
plus, who says props are strictly relegated to the formals? no reason why some interesting posed shots cant be taken at a reception.
we arent talking about staging whole sets here, just some items that coordinate with the wedding parties colors.
I will just rephrase here. I would never incorporate props into a wedding I was shooting. I would just use the surrounding settings that they have chosen, and that were agreed upon. The focus should be the bride and groom. Just my opinion and the way I shoot. I am a minimalist.

I will just rephrase here. I would never incorporate props into a wedding I was shooting. I would just use the surrounding settings that they have chosen, and that were agreed upon. The focus should be the bride and groom. Just my opinion and the way I shoot. I am a minimalist.

eh, everyone has their own workflow. im not trying to imply that there is any right or wrong way, just mentioning the way we do things.
my wife is pretty crafty though. she sews. she quilts. she scrapbooks. she knits. she crochets.
sometimes, if the bridal party is going with a particularly nice/interesting color theme or design, my wife can root through her many boxes of leftover fabrics and materials,find something that matches, and embroider, crochet, knit, sew, or quilt something that goes well with the theme.

maybe its just a bit of custom scrap booking for an album.
maybe its a baby quilt for the pregnant bride. (she loves quilting)
wedding picture with the bride/groom holding up their new baby quilt with the baby's name on it in patchwork quilting and stippling made for a really cool picture, and a pretty surprised and happy bride.

a bit of extra effort on the wife's part has actually gotten her paid MORE than the agreed upon amount, and once, she actually got a $100 tip from a wedding coordinator.
The obvious question is, of course, does she build that extra work into the price of the wedding...the answer is no, not usually. It is a labor of love. that stuff is usually done well after those details are hammered out already since she doesn't always know if she will be doing anything extra for the wedding.
But, she loves weddings, and she loves to sew/craft so....she just cant help herself.
thus far, the clients have all been ecstatic with the "surprises".

im not suggesting that anyone who shoots weddings should go buy a quilting machine, overlock machine, carbon fiber knitting needles, crotchet hooks, and a ton of material and then learn how to use it all just to make the occasional prop for an event....
im just saying that my wife being really crafty has worked out pretty well accenting her photography work. its not for everyone.

eh, everyone has their own workflow. im not trying to imply that there is any right or wrong way, just mentioning the way we do things.
my wife is pretty crafty though. she sews. she quilts. she scrapbooks. she knits. she crochets.
sometimes, if the bridal party is going with a particularly nice/interesting color theme or design, my wife can root through her many boxes of leftover fabrics and materials,find something that matches, and embroider, crochet, knit, sew, or quilt something that goes well with the theme.

maybe its just a bit of custom scrap booking for an album.
maybe its a baby quilt for the pregnant bride. (she loves quilting)
wedding picture with the bride/groom holding up their new baby quilt with the baby's name on it in patchwork quilting and stippling made for a really cool picture, and a pretty surprised and happy bride.

a bit of extra effort on the wife's part has actually gotten her paid MORE than the agreed upon amount, and once, she actually got a $100 tip from a wedding coordinator.
The obvious question is, of course, does she build that extra work into the price of the wedding...the answer is no, not usually. It is a labor of love. that stuff is usually done well after those details are hammered out already since she doesn't always know if she will be doing anything extra for the wedding.
But, she loves weddings, and she loves to sew/craft so....she just cant help herself.
thus far, the clients have all been ecstatic with the "surprises".

im not suggesting that anyone who shoots weddings should go buy a quilting machine, overlock machine, carbon fiber knitting needles, crotchet hooks, and a ton of material and then learn how to use it all just to make the occasional prop for an event....
im just saying that my wife being really crafty has worked out pretty well accenting her photography work. its not for everyone.
Oh lordy pix, you don't want me to try to sew. Trust me. I tried it once and it was a disaster. I see your viewpoint though.

I tried using the overlock machine once because it looked the easiest. It wasn't.
I didnt bother saving the results.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back