Do You Have A "Professional" Camera?

Status
Not open for further replies.
DocFrankenstein said:
No reason to call a person slow witted just because they know what camera they want. I think the brighter viewfinder, partial metering and low ISO alone is worth it. You've ever compared rebel's dimhole to a decent viewfinder of an SLR?

BTW: I took the liberty of looking through your "photojournalist" photos and they honestly suck. No concept of composition, no impact... you don't even get close enough to the subject most of the time.

So you're not quite qualified to call anyone slow-witted just because they don't drop on their ass when they see your rebel.

Feel free to prove me wrong by posting kickass pics of that family in the park.

Let's refrain from personal attacks, please. This is an opinion from one person on the forum. If you have a different opinion, it's okay to share with the rest of us but going onto someone's site and critisizing their work is completely uncalled for.

hobbes28 said:
Let's refrain from personal attacks, please. This is an opinion from one person on the forum. If you have a different opinion, it's okay to share with the rest of us but going onto someone's site and critisizing their work is completely uncalled for.

I agree, no need to get nasty.

Infact I wanna apologise to the orignally poster, they were simply saying what they believe and I kinda attacked em :)

Thanks Artemis and Hobbes. No worries though, Doc has posted some pretty negetive stuff about the Rebel before. Some people are just like that. No skin off my nose. I'm not even sure he/she looked at any of my photos. I don't have a public site (too many copyright issues). All I can figure is he found some stuff I posted here he/she didn't like.

Anyway, life goes on.

;-)

Even if the article was copied at least it was a decent article,

i know people will always have different views- buti think every person on here would have thought about buying a camera they really dont need, but it still always seems like a good idea,
Right now ive got my fuji S5500- its a great camera but ive thought how much i want DSLR- but in my recent shoots ive noticed i never even use the full features of my camera- ive had it for 7 months and have only began using exposure compensation in the last week ( i never really needed it until then) so right now my camera is perfect for me- i know in the future i will jump onto something 'better' but right now im happy,
I recently helped a freind decide on a camera (he went from being dead set on the S5500 all the way through to the 1ds markII and everything in between, including considering medium format- and this is someone who dosent know what aperture or composition is, after he finally ordered a nikon 5700 on my advice- he began looknig for accessories- flashes,converters,filters,remotes,cable release,incident light meter, all this stuff he could buy, have no idea how to use just because it was available and he thought he would use it, he ended up not getting the flash or any other accessories and he is real happy but still always looking at other options.
His photos arent good at all at the moment due to lack of practical knowledge but they will get better and all he needs is the camera, i dont think he gets that yet though

lonnnnng post:)

each has its advantage, dslr has lenses to change, etc. Ik like to have one of both. DSLR for professional shooting and a simple camera to take with me all the time.

WhiteLight said:
each has its advantage, dslr has lenses to change, etc. Ik like to have one of both. DSLR for professional shooting and a simple camera to take with me all the time.

:thumbup::thumbup:

By the way, no one should forget their professional photography accessories such as:

"Photographer Badge": black plastic badge with white lettering that says Photographer

"Photographer Patch": black cloth patch with white lettering that says Photographer

"Photographer's ID Card Set": assorted ID cards that "identify yourself as a working photographer", such as: sports photographer, wedding photographer, TV photographer, press photographer, news photographer, staff photographer, and the all important official photographer.

These are items from the Porter's catalog. I'm sure they've got some hat badges somewhere, and maybe even some stickers that say "professional" that we can stick on our cameras.

I'm ordering mine as soon as I get ordained as a minister for sending in a self addressed stamped envelope to some mail order church. ;)

EDIT: I'm going to stick a "professional" label on one of my Holgas. Heck, it's big, black, and overpriced, which is the main criteria that makes a camera "professional" anyway. ;)

I've always put myself down as a photographer because i don't own one of those "Professional" cameras. At the moment, sure i have the ability to borrow some of my workplace's digital Nikons and Cannon thingies. They sure were hard to get used to after learning on the older (Atleast i think they're older. :confused: ) 3mm SLR's.

But if you want to get with the specifics, the only camera i own that's good enough for taking pictures is my digital point-and-shoot. (Not sure what brand, never paid much attention to that. Plus i'm bad with names.) Sure you can say that it's the photographer who creates the image and not the camera, but your camera acts like your paintbrush. Brushes that you find in those cheesy, two dollar paint kits aren't as good as those you find in an actual artsie fartsie art store. One is easier to control brush stroke with, the other just doesn't like to co-operate at all.

Thats how i feel about my digital camera. It has nothing on it that allows you to control settings to get a good image. There's only a button you can flick that will change it from indoor lighting to outdoor-Which only makes images blurry. What i consider a "Professional" camera is one that allows you to control the focal point, the shutter speed and the light. I don't care about image screens or fancy settings that add more white to your image or saves your light settings for pictures in the future. Just give me more control! :)

Though i can admit, i do agree. It can also be the photographer and not the camera. It's the photographer who sets the whole image up. It's he/she who finds the emotion, that one perfect scene or angle that would make the image complete.
JEgbert, what you said was very inspiring to me and i will think next time i try out my little digital camera. I already have. What if i can make good pictures with my dinky little gadget? So i tried. It just irks me that i can't get the light to look right. Or i can't control the focal point. :grumpy: There are only so many things you can do with a point and shoot. So that is probably why they're never condsidered decent enough for "True Photography".

I dunno. Those are just my thoughts. But thanks to you i love my little silver camera. Hehehe. :heart:

ksmattfish said:
EDIT: I'm going to stick a "professional" label on one of my Holgas. Heck, it's big, black, and overpriced, which is the main criteria that makes a camera "professional" anyway. ;)

That's the funniest thing I've heard all day! Can you get an extra label for mine too? :biglaugh:

photogoddess said:
That's the funniest thing I've heard all day! Can you get an extra label for mine too? :biglaugh:
I'll have you know I can get in anywhere since I put one on mine, Tammy. People stand up and make way for me, actually. :mrgreen:

Actually, a sticker that says "professional" stuck on your camera won't get you as far as a big "Canon" sticker. Last Saturday I was shooting poses at a wedding, and a guest walked up and made the comment "Is that a Canon?" "Nope, it's a Hasselblad" I replied. "Ohhh...", he said sounding disappointed, "I figured you'd be using a Canon for professional photography." :)

ksmattfish said:
Actually, a sticker that says "professional" stuck on your camera won't get you as far as a big "Canon" sticker. Last Saturday I was shooting poses at a wedding, and a guest walked up and made the comment "Is that a Canon?" "Nope, it's a Hasselblad" I replied. "Ohhh...", he said sounding disappointed, "I figured you'd be using a Canon for professional photography." :)

Now that's funny!!! I think I may have laughed up part of my stomach on that one. :mrgreen:

For some reason I just can't let this thread drop...

I've thought up a new accessory that I'm going to start marketing. It's a chunk of wood approx 1.5" x 2" x 5". I'll round off the corners, paint it black, and put "Professional" (or Canon) in big white letters. It attaches to the bottom of a camera with a 1/4" tripod mount simulating that cool battery grip look (my 20D has the battery grip, so I'm being a hypocrit here :) ), and turns any dorky camera (like a Hassy) into a sweet, pro model.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Most reactions

Back