Do you make money with your photography?

Do you make money with your photography?

• No , Just for fun!

Votes: 32 50.8%
  • A little to support my addiction < $10,000

Votes: 27 42.9%
  • I make a living <50,000

Votes: 3 4.8%
  • I am photography $50,000 to 1,000,000

Votes: 1 1.6%

• Total voters

Hardrock

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
Its a yes or no question.

As for me no, Its a hobby that I would eventually like to make some money at.

I've made my hobby pay for itself. I have a FT job that pays the morgage and occasionally if I have a desire for a new lens or another body or whatnot, I'll accept the next job that I'm asked to do (usually). With this method, it's paid for 2 DSLRs and several thousand dollars of lenses, tripods, flashes, and lighting equipment. Now I have a well stocked cabinet of toys for my own personal use and really don't have a need for any more lenses so photo money goes to new golf clubs and additional mortgage principal etc.

I've made my hobby pay for itself. I have a FT job that pays the morgage and occasionally if I have a desire for a new lens or another body or whatnot, I'll accept the next job that I'm asked to do (usually). With this method, it's paid for 2 DSLRs and several thousand dollars of lenses, tripods, flashes, and lighting equipment. Now I have a well stocked cabinet of toys for my own personal use and really don't have a need for any more lenses so photo money goes to new golf clubs and additional mortgage principal etc.

I like this idea! My wife tells me to start charging but its just easier not to in case of any problems. Theres a lot less stress when money is not involved but there is also no profit.

I voted No, but in reality I do make a little bit of money. Hardly anything worth mentioning though...

I want to do small jobs here and there to help fund the habit, but I don't feel I'm 100% ready yet. I thought of maybe a niche market like hunting/fishing but again, I need more experience - especially with the hunting part since I'd like to capture a bird in flight while the hunter takes aim, etc.

Well none of those really fit me. I made just under 40000 last year in the six month wedding season working part time aside from my full time day job....pretty good extra cash....but not enough to go full time.

especially with the hunting part since I'd like to capture a bird in flight while the hunter takes aim, etc.

That sounds pretty cool, and probably not actually that hard to pull off.

I'm picturing you squatting behind and to the side of the hunter, looking down the shotgun barrel, with the bird in the top corner...
The hunter occupying the bottom left corner, the bird in the top right.

:lol:, I mean, I just instantly got a picture of what you were talking about...I just had to describe it.

It shouldn't be too hard if you have a hunter to tag along with that knows what you're going for and is willing to help.

Although I have not shot pro for a while, I still get a decent income from my stock.

I have finally resolved a few problems with my life and decided to once more change the road I travel so that by the end of the year I will be back among the pros. Just gave the go ahead yesterday for the building of my studio and hired a studio manager. This should be a fun year.

I voted no, but I do make a little $$$ on the side, usually stealing jobs away from pros who are too expensive...:lol::lmao::lol::lmao: Kiddding.:er:
I do make some lunch money every now and then.

Although I have not shot pro for a while, I still get a decent income from my stock.

I have finally resolved a few problems with my life and decided to once more change the road I travel so that by the end of the year I will be back among the pros. Just gave the go ahead yesterday for the building of my studio and hired a studio manager. This should be a fun year.

Sounds exciting! What part of Georgia?

It's not going to be in GA. I hate where I am now and that was one of the problems to resolve, lol.

Hmm... lemme do this differently. I distinctly do not MAKE money... but I SAVE some. I have had a lot of business success, and get to live a fancy life-style. But instead of collecting art (or at least buying expensive art), I make large prints of my own work. So if I tally up what it might cost me to cover the wall space with respectable art that I can now cover with my own creative work, I feel like I am WAAAY ahead of the curve financially.

Yes, I do make money shooting weddings in a photo-journalistic style. No, I do not as of yet make money on the type of work I have posted here. I am taking a sabbatical from weddings to try and get this work out into the larger world at this time.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back