Do you use a monopod a lot?

I love monopods. They're fast to set up and disassemble and they don't take up much floor space.

I use mine loads for weddings and live music stuff. Certainly couldn't set up a tripod in some of those venues.

In fact I have three!

I've been spending far too much on equipment lately but what the heck - let's keep a good thing going right? I just picked up a nice Bogan tripod but it can be cumberson to carry around outdoors hiking. Is it monopod time? Does it turn out to be something that picks up dust in the closet or an essential accessory to have?

I find monopods a very handy and versatile tool. In fact I prefer them to tripods. I have often walked around with my monopod during a shoot and while it is a bit heavy, will use it even when not grounded. I like the vertical stability it can give if I shoot long, which is rarely. You can be more reactive with a monopod than a tripod. You are not stuck to a position allowing you to adjust to the circumstances quickly. Although not as stable as a tripod, for vertical stability it is a great compromise.

I use them often during wedding ceremonies... outside of that I usually handhold or use my tripod. I drag my tripod with me when I hike, but of course a monopod is faster to setup. It's a great addition to the lineup but it's not a replacement for the tripod.

I use my when traveling and hiking. The monopod is good for quick work when you're shoot and go. Tripods for me are for when you have time to set up or if you are seriously trying to get a shot.

Like others I use my monopod at sports events, because holding a camera with a large prime or zoom lens attached gets pretty tiring after a short while.

I've been spending far too much on equipment lately but what the heck - let's keep a good thing going right?

Right!

Do you use a monopod a lot?

YES!

I have one of those cheap carbiner rings and I clip the monopod on my belt loop. You could clip it on a backpack or camera bag, just as well. It works as a handle for shooting, attached to the telephoto, when not expanded. slings under the camera nice.

No ball top, no problem with a straight stick that extends and compresses with locking rings. In fact I'm happy that I don't have a ball top. Less moving parts to break, slip or twist. Simple and very useful.

Just try setting up a tripod in the bleachers at a rodeo and see what kind of looks you get. I use my slik monopod a lot, as well as a couple of different tripods in other situations. Coyotes in the woods for instance, will NOT wait for you to unstrap your tripod and set it up and level it. Monopod snap on the qr with camera and shoot. Much faster

For sporting events so you can keep the camera aimed while you pan. Wouldn't want to mis a shot because your camera was hanging at your waist! Night time cityscapes when the streets are too busy to plant a tripod with all of there adjustments.

I used to carry a walking stick that had a 1/4mount on the top for a camera and it worked well for hiking When I needed more stability. there useful. I don't know if I would go out and buy a real expensive one. but there good to have.

I used one for the first time ever this past weekend. I took it to the College Football Hall of Fame museum in Atlanta, thinking it'd be a great way to stabilize my camera in lower light. It turned out to be cumbersome and most of the time I used it as a walking stick. Maybe if I was more experienced with it, it would feel more natural. I just wasn't much of a fan.

Are monopods a way of keeping yourself clean. I find that after a day out my trouser are filthy, knees,ass etc,

I have one, really I find it useful for youth sporting events when sitting in the bleachers, supports the weight of the 70 200 2.8 without the hassle of a full tripod.

Other than that it sits at home

Sent from my 306SH using Tapatalk

I've had a carbon fiber monopod for a few years but only recently started using it at soccer games when I've used heavy lenses such as the Sigma 150-500 and Tamron 150-600. The 80-200/2.8 and 300/4 were fine to me weight-wise handheld.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back