Do You Use Filters?

smoke665

TPF Supporters
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
With fall color coming on the question came up about using filters. I've seen everything from using
polarizing, to using warming and cooling filters, to using digital filters in camera and post. So what do you use and why???

I use a polarizing filter for most outdoor work; for fall foliage, I might use a warming filter, but would probably do most of the enhancement in post as that allows more flexibility for control over specific hues.

CPL only everything else can be done in PP................

CPL and NDs -- special use only basically.

I use CPL as desired for color and glare, ND for long SS, Grad ND for landscape. I also have a few effects filters for fun and some colored filters to try with BW. I use grad ND in post also but a better exposure can be obtained with a filter IMO.

CPL and NDs (full and graduated). For B&W film I have green, orange and yellow.

I use a polarizing filter for most outdoor work; for fall foliage, I might use a warming filter, but would probably do most of the enhancement in post as that allows more flexibility for control over specific hues.

It seems the majority don't mention warming filters. As I understand using one improves skin tones and negates blue casts. Do you notice any difference between using one and correcting in posts on the final image?

UV filter and ND filters only.
UV to protect the lens and sensor.
ND for long exposure or wide aperature on a bright date for DOF control.

For the kind of shots I take, anything else is post process.

Sent from my SM-J737T using Tapatalk

CPL and ND filters

It seems the majority don't mention warming filters. As I understand using one improves skin tones and negates blue casts. Do you notice any difference between using one and correcting in posts on the final image?
With the capability of software like Photoshop, I'm not sure there is much, if any difference any more. I think it's mostly a personal hold-over from the film days.

digital: UV, pola and ND.
film, B&W: UV/skylight + standard set of red, orange, green, yellow + ND
film, reversal: UV/skylight, pola

UV is to keep dust, salt spray, fingers, etc. off the front element.

Most reactions

Back