Does black backdrop have to be black, and white have to be white in portraits?

indioli

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Website
www.indioliphotography.co.uk
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Ok, now I have only recently started to research portrait photography and start to play about with it... I have a friend who does portrait photography and she keeps telling me black has to be jet black, white has to be pure white, but i keep questioning this and seeing amazing photo's that don't follow these rules.
So anyone who can advise me, or give their opinion on this topic I would be grateful.

Also i have a pic, which to me is over exposed? But i don't want to put it on a forum because it wasnt taken by me so if i can send it to someone who works in portraiture, please let me know.
Many thanks!!

Generally speaking if you're using a black or white backdrop, you will want them pure black or white, but anywhere else in an image, no; since pure black and pure white have no detail. With respect to the image, post a link to it in the thread, that will allow people to view it and not violate the TOS.

The background color I use the most for portraits is a medium gray. Specifically - Savage 107" x 12yds Seamless Background Paper 27-12 B&H

By using the right camera settings I can make that gray background look black, white, or by lighting it with gelled lights, many different pastel colors too.

With a black background you have to control where your lighting goes with flags, gobo's, barndoors, and other tools of the trade so it doesn't spill onto the background.

With a white background you have to be careful of light reflecting off the background to places you don't want it, like onto part of your subject.

Last edited:
With only a white background, you can get white,grey and black from the one background
This was shot on a white background

IMG4432-M.jpg

Most reactions

New Topics

Back