Does buying a camera make sense if I have a smartphone?

Tamariniak

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Yes, of course it does. However, I'm only aiming to spend around 250$. Besides that, I own a Galaxy s5, which takes fairly fine photos, just without me being able to control much of the camera's settings and with frustratingly long shutter speeds once the sun stops shining.
I would also like the camera to be able to shoot fairly decent videos, which the phone does a pretty good job in too. I also own a GoPro Hero, but the fisheye is no use for me in many cases.
I'd much prefer a compact, because I want to carry the thing with me everywhere without much trouble. Im okay with a DSLR if you were to suggest one though.

At $250 there are some point and shoot camera that will provide user exposure control but I'm not sure the image quality would be meaningfully better than the smart phone. I have a Panasonic that provides user control and even puts out raw files and it outperforms my cell phone but may not be any better than yours. The mirrorless cameras are more expensive unless you look for a badly priced used one.

Same with a DSLR. As an example you can find a used Nikon D100 for under $100 used and a modest zoom lens to go with it at the same price. The camera will have less resolution but will outperform the phone thanks to a larger sensor and user control over all functions.

Galaxy S5
upload_2016-6-15_11-16-54-png.123352

Sony a6000
upload_2016-6-15_11-18-43-png.123354

The Panasonic ZS40 (TZ60) is a compact travelzoom with decent video.

At $250 there are some point and shoot camera that will provide user exposure control but I'm not sure the image quality would be meaningfully better than the smart phone. I have a Panasonic that provides user control and even puts out raw files and it outperforms my cell phone but may not be any better than yours. The mirrorless cameras are more expensive unless you look for a badly priced used one.

Same with a DSLR. As an example you can find a used Nikon D100 for under $100 used and a modest zoom lens to go with it at the same price. The camera will have less resolution but will outperform the phone thanks to a larger sensor and user control over all functions.

Thank you for the response. Could you please specify which camera you have exactly? I’d love to take a look at it. I couldn’t find the Nikon D100 selling anywhere in my country unfortunatelly.

Galaxy S5

Sony a6000
So that means that I have to add way more money if I want something that outperforms the phone, correct?

Just gives you an idea of the difference in image quality one can expect from a real camera over a cell phone.

What aspect could you say makes the most difference?

The size of the tiny 1/3.06" sensor that's about 4-5 times smaller, and then optics, then the image processing.

Which image has the perspective distortion on the dome (Sony is elongated)?
I like the Galaxy photo better actually. :)

The dome is more tall than squat. Google Image Search: Positano Church.

Galaxy S5

Sony a6000
So that means that I have to add way more money if I want something that outperforms the phone, correct?

No, it means you either have to add money or choose something used. Your goal is to have better image quality and more user control. You can have the user control within your budget but the better image quality will require more budget or used equipment.

Last edited:
Might want to look for a used Nikon D5100 on Ebay or locally, you should be able to find one in that price range. Much better control that what you can get in a smart phone, and much better images thanks to a much larger sensor.

An a5000 or NEX-6 shares that D5100 16MP sensor in a more cell-phone user friendly package. :p

Most reactions

New Topics

Back