Does Gear Really Matter? 30 Mind-Blowing Images Taken With Entry-Level Gear

Tri Joko needs to work on his PS skills...

Apparently gear isn't important, but processing an image within an inch of its life is still required.

It matters to an extent. I mean, you're not going to freeze a hummingbird's wings with an iphone, or be able to freeze action in indoor, fluorescent lighting situations with no flash and low ISO ability and a small maximum aperture (a problem I ran into).

That said, a creative eye is a creative eye, no matter the lens, and if the equipment is capable in the lighting situation you have, good images can definitely be produced.

I think that post is more about how well someone can PS. Some looked nice and natural, but most looked like composite images. I would have enjoyed the post more had it been mostly natural pictures.

Apparently gear isn't important, but processing an image within an inch of its life is still required.

Oh you...

I think that post is more about how well someone can PS. Some looked nice and natural, but most looked like composite images. I would have enjoyed the post more had it been mostly natural pictures.

You guys are missing the point.

more like ignoring it ;)

We didn't, but the writer of the article did.

30 good images made with entry-level that weren't then majorly edited would have had more of an impact.

The photos he made with the borrowed T4i sufficed to make his point:

While shooting, I found that using lower-end gear can prove to be difficult to work with. Mainly, I had a hard time with the fact that I was using an 18-55 lens and the lowest F-stop was a 5.6 at 55mm. Additionally, there weren’t enough focus points for me to use. That being said, it did not stop me from using everything else I’ve learned outside of the gear department. After the shoot, I realized that skill is a crucial part of photography. I incorporated everything I knew about expressions, posing, composition and even post-processing to produce quality images.

That we can make well with a used d40 and kit lens
and $6,000 worth of lighting equipment
and the latest Photoshop version and $6,000 worth of training in photoshop ?
:mrgreen:

30 good images made with entry-level that weren't then majorly edited would have had more of an impact.

To me the point here is that rather than sitting around obsessing about gear you don't have, use the gear you do have to go out and shoot with. Sure editing makes things look good but people edit just as much with a top of the line camera.

I understand the point. You can create awesome images with entry level equipment, and I agree. I was just stating that I would love to see an article like this without all of the PS work. For example, if most were like the writers images that were taken of the girl while he was on vacation, I would have enjoyed the article much more.

I think it matters, if i was fighting for my life i would rather hit someone in the head with a 70-200 2.8mkII IS then an 55-250 F4. just sayn...

Most reactions

New Topics

Back