Does this huge Canon sale mean they're coming out with something new?

keith204

No longer a newbie, moving up!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I'm just trying to figure out why Canon's offering such a huge INSTANT rebate on so much of their stuff, and for so long (July 19th I think). I mean, a 40D for around $950?

Umm, where exactly is this sale? Haha, I'd love a 40D for that price!

I'm just trying to figure out why Canon's offering such a huge INSTANT rebate on so much of their stuff, and for so long (July 19th I think). I mean, a 40D for around $950?

I read in UK magazine publication, mentioned in it that nikons outsells canons in the last financial year. Maybe that is the reason, balancing the sheet.

Oh wow... would it be safe to assume the price will not go back up? And possibly fall more? I've been waiting for just the right price to purchase the 40D.

Oh wow... would it be safe to assume the price will not go back up? And possibly fall more? I've been waiting for just the right price to purchase the 40D.

I think it will go down further regardless which one. Don't forget Sony is in full swing to grab the 3rd spot right now and Panasonic is right behind it by parading Leica glass as the very tempting bait. Don't know what happen with olympus and Pentax, I hope and I wish they move a bit faster.

God bless the competition -- don't you think?.

I almost bought my 40D for $1069, but didn't get around to ordering it 'til 3 days later and the price was down to $939.

Horay for being busy and hesitant. :lmao:

Awesome! I'm planning on purchasing an DSLR once I finish school, and the XSi has been my choice, becaue the 40D is just out of my budget. But this may change things :D

I don't mean o hijack tis thread, but I just checked all the Canadian camera stors, and the price of a 40D has not changed :(

So I'm wondering if it is worth it to buy from the States (Adorama or B&H) ? As in, is it worth it to lose the customer support? Or would I be going via Canon anyways? I just worry that if something goes wrong, getting help/returning/exchanging will be quite a production...

Canon has been offering rebate programs for at least several years -- usually twice a year, I think. The lens rebates seem to be in line with past rebates. The body rebates do seem pretty good this year -- whether they're significantly better than in past years I couldn't tell you, but my guess is no.

The one major difference recently is that Canon is going with instant -- rather than mail-in -- rebates in the U.S. My guess is that it's because there were so many complaints about people not getting their rebates from the mail-in company.

So I wouldn't read too much into this. But it is a sweet deal -- only wish the 24-70 had been on the list this time!

(By the way, when the rebate's done, the price usually does go back up to normal, I think.)

I don't mean o hijack tis thread, but I just checked all the Canadian camera stors, and the price of a 40D has not changed :(

You guys get your own rebate program :D-- but it's mail-in, not instant. :er: http://www.canon.ca/english/index-whatsnew.html (I think that's the link). I think to get the $200 rebate, you need to buy two items on the list.

Yeah, I was gonna say that I thought they did a similar rebate deal last Summer. As for things going down in price, the lenses that I'm looking at have actually gone up in price since last year. Granted, by $10, but they've still gone up. But, I plan on taking advantage of their rebate this summer on the 70-200 mm f/2.8L IS. :)

No, it actually means they are desperate to get their cameras sold. I have heard they are bancrupt and that next year there might not be any company named Canon anymore.
Maybe Sony is going to take them over in time to save some jobs at least though.

[Warning, post contains European humour]

No, it actually means they are desperate to get their cameras sold. I have heard they are bancrupt and that next year there might not be any company named Canon anymore.
Maybe Sony is going to take them over in time to save some jobs at least though.

You heard it what and from where? That is almost a Libelous Statement. Your posting nonsense. I assume you heard it from a friend of friend? Their financial statements show nothing of the sort, they have had a loss two Quarter now and it is the first time since 2002 that this has happened and it is not unusual for a company to have some bad quarters and sometimes bad years that string together without going bankrupt. Why are you trying to dissuade people from buying Canon.

It is just astounding that someone I assume has common sense would start to make libelous statements against a company. You like have Nikon or Sony Stocks and need to spook people from buying Canon products? You heard? It is the internet after all and why let facts get in the way. You trade stock? Maybe have been schooled in economics ? And you will show people something to back such a statement. Now you probably have started other ignoramuses running around saying you won't believe what I heard, Canon is going Bankrupt, how horribly irresponsible. And again lets not give any facts for such a baseless claim.

http://www.forbes.com/markets/feeds/afx/2008/04/24/afx4927574.html

http://finance.google.com/finance?q=NYSE:CAJ

You heard it what and from where? That is almost a Libelous Statement. Your posting nonsense. I assume you heard it from a friend of friend? Their financial statements show nothing of the sort, they have had a loss two Quarter now and it is the first time since 2002 that this has happened and it is not unusual for a company to have some bad quarters and sometimes bad years that string together without going bankrupt. Why are you trying to dissuade people from buying Canon.

It is just astounding that someone I assume has common sense would start to make libelous statements against a company. You like have Nikon or Sony Stocks and need to spook people from buying Canon products? You heard? It is the internet after all and why let facts get in the way. You trade stock? Maybe have been schooled in economics ? And you will show people something to back such a statement. Now you probably have started other ignoramuses running around saying you won't believe what I heard, Canon is going Bankrupt, how horribly irresponsible. And again lets not give any facts for such a baseless claim.

http://www.forbes.com/markets/feeds/afx/2008/04/24/afx4927574.html

http://finance.google.com/finance?q=NYSE:CAJ

Umm....dude? No offense, but I'm...pretty sure he was joking. :er:

Most reactions

New Topics

Back