Does this huge Canon sale mean they're coming out with something new?

So I'm wondering if it is worth it to buy from the States (Adorama or B&H) ? As in, is it worth it to lose the customer support? Or would I be going via Canon anyways? I just worry that if something goes wrong, getting help/returning/exchanging will be quite a production
I buy most of my stuff from the US. B&H mostly.

As mentioned, Canon usually has a rebate program twice a year. Often, you can get increasing rebates if you buy multiple items on the list. And yes, it was usually a mail-in rebate, probably handled by a 3rd party and it was a bit of a fiasco....so it would make sense if they changed it to an instant rebate.

No, it actually means they are desperate to get their cameras sold. I have heard they are bancrupt and that next year there might not be any company named Canon anymore.
Maybe Sony is going to take them over in time to save some jobs at least though.

from memory they will use the old Super Paragon name ;-)

5D Mark II might also be another reason. . .
Nikon just did that, dropped the price on the D40 HARD and next thing you know, the D60 comes out (with almost same specs). . .so, I would assume a 1D and 5D is on the horizon, clear out inventory now. . .I'm thinking of switching to Canon territory if the 5D Mark II hits by this summer. . .can't wait for a D300 FF. . .

It's just spring rebates, the prices will be back up when the rebates are over.

I keep hearing that the 5DII will be coming at the end of the summer, during whatever show is happening then. I think Canon is trying to fix the focus on the 1D before moving on to something else.

I am interested to see what kind of glass will be available.

so, I would assume a 1D and 5D is on the horizon,
They just gave us upgrades to both the 1D and 1Ds series...so don't expect anything new there for another two years. The replacement to the 5D has long been rumored and 'should' be coming soon but who knows.

I would not bank so much on the fact that they are in financial trouble. More in line of good marketing. Come on folks, with that juicy tax rebate that the gubament just issued?!?!? You think Canon might not have banked on that nugget. They usually offer a rebates twice a year anyhoo. Doesn't hurt our wallets quite as bad. What's the rebate on a 1D Mark III?
BTW, CanuckianMe...Read the whole post before you go postal.:lmao:

Just to add, Adorama has the same prices as B&H on the 40D and 5D. (of course)

Just to add, Adorama has the same prices as B&H on the 40D and 5D. (of course)

I'm waiting for the prices to drop where the 1Ds Mark III is only five hundred bucks. :)

*30 years later, Senor Hound is still waiting...*

Another thought - people (US people, anyway) are getting their stimulus payments now - lots of companies are trying to lure customers into blowing their cash.

Come on folks, with that juicy tax rebate that the gubament just issued?!?!? You think Canon might not have banked on that nugget.

So I just asked my wife what we were buying with our stimulus check. She said "Savings".

What's the rebate on a 1D Mark III?

Pro gear doesn't need rebates, Pro's tend to be making money out of their gear so they pay for it that way, thats why the big lenses and bodies never have any.

Why on Earth would you want a mkIII?? I use a mkII and wouldn't touch a mkIII in case my camera stops focusing :lol: I've not even been asked for a mkIII in about 4 months, all the pro's that were asking me for mkIII's have gone to the Nikon D3. Thats bad for Canon but good for me as we're getting loads of good lenses in 2nd hand

Another thought - people (US people, anyway) are getting their stimulus payments now - lots of companies are trying to lure customers into blowing their cash.

The only thing we USers are spending our money on is gas. The average person is probably going to spend about $600 more on gas this year than last, so the money is REALLY going to ExxonMobil.

Gotta love American capitalism...

ok, i want to buy a 40D for under a grand.....where are they listed for that price? and how does the $200 rebate work? can i go to best buy and get that rebate? and where is the safeist place to order via net...?? thanks......sorry for askin so many questions at one time....lol!!:)

ok, i want to buy a 40D for under a grand.....where are they listed for that price? and how does the $200 rebate work? can i go to best buy and get that rebate? and where is the safeist place to order via net...?? thanks......sorry for askin so many questions at one time....lol!!:)

Canon rebates right now are USA and they're instant (meaning the prices should be reduced - not a mail in thing) and you must buy from an authorized canon dealer. I don't know if Best Buy is one. Amazon has done me right in the past but other authorized dealers are good too... See my link in my sig for the Amazon details.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back