Does this make you mad?

ang1995

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Okay, so I have this cuz that is into photography but she is not a pro or anything.

So I sent her this pic that I took and asked her what she thought of it. So she replies back with this other version that she edited and told me that she didn't like mine but she totally ruined the pic. She overdid the eyes, took my sisters freckles away, and whited her face out. I know that my first version was not that great so I redid the pic and sent it to her.And she responds with another edit that she did and a edit that her husband did and she is still trying to tell me that I need to change my edit and she treats me like a little kid. :gah:

Anyways, I was not real happy and I was wondering what you'll think?

Is she your client?

Well, if you asked her what she thought, then she was simply showing you what she thought. No reason to get upset/defensive. If you don't value her opinion, then maybe you shouldn't have asked. If you want a chance to receive some valuable opinions, you should post the shot here. Just promise not to get upset if we do the same.

You are different people with different outlooks. Just like the HDR battle of the purist vs the grunge!

Don't feel bad. The cool thing about art is that it's subjective. Some people are going to see things different ways and that's what hopefully makes a unique photographer, a valued photographer.

If her style isn't your style, just stand up for yourself and tell her what about the edit you don't agree with. Let her know that you like a more natural approach. If she continues to put you down, just ignore it.

Was there anything helpful about her advice or edit?

Remember it is an art, I prefer to wash out freckles a bit myself and some people disagree with that. It is also is not something to get upset about. I photoshop girls photos a lot more than guys, mainly because guys just don't care as much, me myself I photoshop more than anyone...ha ha. Last night I took pictures of this cute red head and she wanted to see a couple in the camera when I was done which is a mistake so I showed her one I thought was really good and she's like oh yuck my arms look fat. She's probably a size 1. So I told her don't worry the camera doesn't take into account shadows and made some bull **** up because I knew the second I got it in photoshop I would make her arms look perfect for her. I'm still waiting to see if she agrees so hopefully she likes them.

When I ask her what she thinks about a picture I'm thinking more like for her to just tell me what she thinks and if it looks like there need to be any changes. I did not ask her to edit the pic and get her husband to edit it and tell for her to tell me that I am a child and that I don't know anything. It's not like I go and edit all of her pix that I think need changes.

No, it would not make me mad.

If I sent a picture that I took asking for what they thought, I would appreciate helpful feedback like that. If my cousin were standing next to me and I showed it to her asking the same question, I would expect her to point to the screen with comments like "sharpen here, saturate there, blah, blah, blah." Sending it to her though implies that she was not standing over your shoulder, and unable to make those comments. So an edited version of hers would be the easiest method for her to express what she thinks.

push her down some stairs.

problem solved.

Is she your client?

No, she's just family and she asked to see some of my recent shots.
Don't worry about it then. Everyone has his/her opinion and you can't please everyone. If she was your client, you should do it the way she wants you to, but if she's "only" family.... ;)

I know! But it is really the way she acts that makes me mad.

It's easy to get frustrated when the non-photograph-making crowd tells you how to do your hobby when you have more experience than they. But perhaps despite her approach, you can still find some valuable input.

Now, if she asked to see your shots like your second to last post states, and then she modified them and gave you unsolicited 'advice', that's just freakin' rude.

I know! But it is really the way she acts that makes me mad.

Look, there are people who will make you mad and hurt your feelings sometimes. It's never easy to handle. Didn't you just place second in a state young person's photography thing? I'm pretty sure that was you....so don't let this get you down. Sounds like to me that your work is already being valued, so blow the rest off.

Do your thing girl! Don't base your feelings or shooting styles on what some random person thinks.

How OLD are you?? I truly don't mean that to sound ugly or anything...I just hope that you are not an adult who is letting a cousin's opinion get to you like that. Look...It. Doesn't. Matter. You asked her opinion, she gave it. Nothing wrong with that, EVEN if she was harsh or condescending in her attitude. You NOW know that you and your cousin have very different ideas about what makes a "good" photograph. If I were you, I would simply thank her for her opinion, and then NOT ask her to critique your photos again! But whatever you do, DON'T take it too personally.

As others have said, photography is an Art, and not everyone has the same style, the same taste. Some like abstract art, some like very realistic art, some like the really edgy stuff...same way with photography. What one person views as a "great" photo, another may not care for at all.

I entered several photos in a contest last year...I entered because there was one photo in particular that everyone I showed it to just loved, and said I needed to enter. I ran a "poll" on my FB page, and it won, hands-down, as the best picture. I could enter, I think, 6 photos in the contest; I had 4 that were definites and then just threw in 2 others that I personally liked, even though they hadn't gotten many "votes" among my friends. Those two won first and second place in their categories, and another two photos also won ribbons. The photo everyone "raved" about? Nothing. Nada. Zip. Zilch. The judges gave it NO recognition whatsoever.

It's ALL a matter of taste. If you decide that your cousin's taste is all in her mouth, then just don't ask her to evaluate your photos again.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back